SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#226 2013-05-19 23:38:49

damo
#! gimpbanger

Re: Ideas for Janice

Super-Nathan wrote:
He_! wrote:

I find that having both gmrun and dmenu is redundant. Perhaps drop gmrun or configure dmenu differently?

I like having both!

So do I, and you don't have to run them if you don't want to use them wink And gmrun can be used to run more complicated commands without opening a terminal

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

Be excellent to each other!

#227 2013-05-20 00:08:37

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@ew:  Frankly, until I find a newer kernel that works well with my wifi dongle (or replace the d@mn thing) or encounter newer hardware that requires anything newer, I'm fine with being stuck with the Squeeze backports version of 3.2.0-1.  (Probably should try building the Waldorf equivalent though, if the source is available...though I'm not sure it's worth the time involved. roll )  Tried the most recent kernels from Unstable and Liquorix; meh.

Last edited by pvsage (2013-05-20 00:10:26)

#228 2013-05-20 00:23:53

rstrcogburn
CrunchRanger
Website

maybe a NOx base with cb-welcome and then the desktop version too.  Kind of a step behind the old 9.04 release then up into current crunchdom.  Overall the nowadays crunchang infrastructure is golden.  Source packages and all..  Also the desktop is about the most sane before you enter favoratism.  Then the whole git dev commit thing that's been used so far used some more would be the icing on the cake.  Hope it just gets better and better.

Pack em in snow!

#229 2013-05-20 02:48:58

DapperMe17
#! CrunchBanger

A Pdf reader that allows highlighting in the document and saves highlighted text. Evince and Acrobat Reader 9 (the last for linux) don't seem to do that, and I'm sure it would be really handy for many office workers, students etc.

Does such a thing even exist?

Better yet, one that allows fillable fields and not named Adobe.

#230 2013-05-20 03:46:18

anonymous
The Mystery Member

DapperMe17 wrote:

Better yet, one that allows fillable fields and not named Adobe.

iirc Evince can do that.

#231 2013-05-20 10:51:17

ew
#! Die Hard

pvsage wrote:

@ew:  Frankly, until I find a newer kernel that works well with my wifi dongle (or replace the d@mn thing) or encounter newer hardware that requires anything newer, I'm fine with being stuck with the Squeeze backports version of 3.2.0-1.  (Probably should try building the Waldorf equivalent though, if the source is available...though I'm not sure it's worth the time involved. roll )  Tried the most recent kernels from Unstable and Liquorix; meh.

I fully understand. Wifi can be a pain. On the laptop I have dedicated to Linux I have the infamous Broadcom BCM4313, and even if I get wl to work, I`m starting to get tired of fixing it every time I install a new distro, or getting issues when I upgrade kernels, so I did the only thing that makes sense to me, and that is to replace it. I went to Ebay, and ordered two of these: Intel Wifi Link 1000 Half Size Adapter 300Mbps

I also bought two full size wifi cards...., so now I`m waiting for the mailman.

- apt-mark hold account

#232 2013-05-20 10:57:37

whereisthetea
#! Member

Barnabyh wrote:

A Pdf reader that allows highlighting in the document and saves highlighted text. Evince and Acrobat Reader 9 (the last for linux) don't seem to do that, and I'm sure it would be really handy for many office workers, students etc.

Does such a thing even exist?

I remember using something called xournal to do something like that. It is a note taking application but it can use pdf file as a background.

Anymay away icklemay akesmay away ucklemay.

#233 2013-05-20 16:46:50

jon#!

+1 systemd
+1 move gimp to cd-welcome
+1 remove abiword
+1 pidgin

I would love to have the welcome script choose whether you wanted xfce as DE, it's merely a few commands and a reboot. Fantastic little distro this, whichever way you go, I'm sure it'll be greater still :-).

"I would site regulation, but I know you would simply ignore it" - Spock

#234 2013-05-20 17:41:53

nebulaehair
#! Junkie

jon#! wrote:

+1 systemd
+1 move gimp to cd-welcome
+1 remove abiword
+1 pidgin

I would love to have the welcome script choose whether you wanted xfce as DE, it's merely a few commands and a reboot. Fantastic little distro this, whichever way you go, I'm sure it'll be greater still :-).

Please, please remove Abiword and replace it with LibreOffice!

"The time we wish we spent but lost it all."
- Coheed and Cambria.

my favorite distros: solyd xk | kwheezy

#235 2013-05-20 17:44:14

nebulaehair
#! Junkie

intoCB wrote:

Deadbeef for audio player

I'd rather they'd pick Audacious over deadbeef. Deadbeef blows.

- Coheed and Cambria.

#236 2013-05-20 18:16:19

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

nebulaehair wrote:
intoCB wrote:

Can't we just stop deciding on defaults? We all know we can't ever please everyone.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#237 2013-05-20 18:23:21

ew
#! Die Hard

Unia wrote:
nebulaehair wrote:
intoCB wrote:

Can't we just stop deciding on defaults? We all know we can't ever please everyone.

Agreed, just leave it to me to sum up what should be done. After studying all the other replies then I think we can agree on the following :

1. Systemd

2. Remove Abiword and Gnumeric, and add them as a office-choice in the welcome-script, together with Libreoffice

3. Remove Gimp, VLC and GParted. Add them to the welcome-script, or as install options from the menu.

4. Remove slim, and add Lightdm instead, configured with Crunchbang backgrounds and themes...

That`s pretty much all we can agree on, so let`s do this ]:D

Last edited by ew (2013-05-20 18:23:42)

- apt-mark hold account

#238 2013-05-20 18:29:46

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

^ Why should Gparted and VLC be removed? Also, Slim should stay and should be combined with Slimlock so we can finally ditch ugly xscreensaver!

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#239 2013-05-20 19:40:42

nebulaehair
#! Junkie

Unia wrote:

^ Why should Gparted and VLC be removed? Also, Slim should stay and should be combined with Slimlock so we can finally ditch ugly xscreensaver!

Seriously, Gparted and VLC are possibly one of the greatest integrations to #! ever D;

- Coheed and Cambria.

#240 2013-05-20 20:06:48

IrrationlArtist

confusis wrote:

I also use #! for lightweight, non-mission critical servers (mostly webhosting) so the option of not even installing a browser would be handy, keep bloat to a minimum.

whereisthetea wrote:

Maybe reducing the number of default wallpapers, openbox themes and fonts would be something in the spirit of a minimalist distro?

Ah... no. There's a point where minimalism goes too far. #! is not a server distro, and so we should not be removing default apps to make it one. You can go ahead and install it as a server distro, that's fine, but just apt-get remove firefox. No need to inconvenience everyone else.

Also #! doesn't start off with that many wallpapers, and I don't think it hurts our 'minimalism' to have them there.

signature.txt

#241 2013-05-20 20:25:05

omns
#! wanderer

Switch to Xfce wink tongue

#242 2013-05-20 20:46:07

ew
#! Die Hard

Unia wrote:

What could be my intention by removing Abiword, Gnumeric, VLC, Gparted etc....?

The answer is quite simple. To slim down the ISO as a nice gesture to those that only can boot their pc`s by cd-rom.... Of course it would be sufficient just to slim down only the i486-version, but it`s much cleaner if all version include the same apps and the same scripts. I would reinstall VLC, Gimp and Gparted myself, but I have no need for those apps to be present on the ISO. Neither does anyone else. Those that cannot install their favourite-apps themselves, should find another hobby...

As for Slim, it should go. It isn`t lighter that lightdm. Actually, after replacing slim with lightdm, my boot-time is slightly faster, and now I have sessions, shutoff and everything present in lightdm without any need to edit sessionfiles or slimconf. Lightdm simply works, and is a better choice for those that can not configure or install anything themselves... 

I forgot one thing that should be removed. Iceweasel. No need to have a working browser on the ISO. The first thing everyone does, is installing their favourite browser, and for me it`s quite simple, "sudo apt-get install chromium". It shouldn`t be to hard for others to do like me.... ]:D

Edit: I forgot xscreensaver. Are you insane. That`s the coolest thing ever. It looks like something from the past, and i feel like a supergeek when I look at those wonderful fiberlamps... smile

Last edited by ew (2013-05-20 20:49:45)

- apt-mark hold account

#243 2013-05-20 20:46:25

joek
#! Junkie

Remove GParted? Really? I still dislike command-line partitioning tools, having been forced to do it a few times. I would strongly suggest keeping Gparted, as one of the few instances where I think that the 'easy to use' GUI version is legitimately easier to use without losing too much of the command line's flexibility.

#244 2013-05-20 20:53:48

ew
#! Die Hard

rizzo wrote:

Switch to Xfce wink tongue

Do it yourself.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xfce4 xfce4-goodies
sudo apt-get install lightdm

VOILA, XFCE :)

- apt-mark hold account

#245 2013-05-20 20:58:42

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

ew wrote:

What could be my intention by removing Abiword, Gnumeric, VLC, Gparted etc....?

The answer is quite simple. To slim down the ISO as a nice gesture to those that only can boot their pc`s by cd-rom.... Of course it would be sufficient just to slim down only the i486-version, but it`s much cleaner if all version include the same apps and the same scripts. I would reinstall VLC, Gimp and Gparted myself, but I have no need for those apps to be present on the ISO. Neither does anyone else. Those that cannot install their favourite-apps themselves, should find another hobby...

I agree with your first statement. I disagree with the rest. You, are, well, you - not everyone. Unless you have actual proof, do not claim you speak for or are everyone - you are far from it. Also, your claim that Those that cannot install their favourite-apps themselves, should find another hobby... is simply rude.

ew wrote:

I forgot one thing that should be removed. Iceweasel. No need to have a working browser on the ISO. The first thing everyone does, is installing their favourite browser, and for me it`s quite simple, "sudo apt-get install chromium". It shouldn`t be to hard for others to do like me.... ]:D

Every distro should have a browser installed by default, even if only for a quick live session.

joek wrote:

Remove GParted? Really? I still dislike command-line partitioning tools, having been forced to do it a few times. I would strongly suggest keeping Gparted, as one of the few instances where I think that the 'easy to use' GUI version is legitimately easier to use without losing too much of the command line's flexibility.

That.

Last edited by Unia (2013-05-20 20:59:10)

#246 2013-05-20 21:09:11

saneks
#! Die Hard

ew wrote:

After studying all the other replies then I think we can agree on the following:
1. Systemd
2. Remove Abiword and Gnumeric, and add them as a office-choice in the welcome-script, together with Libreoffice
3. Remove Gimp, VLC and GParted. Add them to the welcome-script, or as install options from the menu.
4. Remove slim, and add Lightdm instead, configured with Crunchbang backgrounds and themes...
That`s pretty much all we can agree on, so let`s do this

haha, wrong, it's not agreed. it is just some more people demanding this or that over that and this.. I am pretty happy we don't do polls and have corenominal who decides. I really hope #! won't be stripped of quality apps like gimp or vlc cause that would cut OOTB functionality, which was and is a major reason for many of us #!-users to consider installing this fine distro: a distro which is really well composed. I dont feel #! main focus is minimalism. it is functionality. it is beautifully designed, fast and lean and it just works really good, and programs are well integrated.  isn't this is the concept of a distro?

I download a iso, go install on x computers.. why should I download even more stuff for hours afterwards for every machine? - if I want to do that, I can do a basic net install and run a magic make-it-.crunchbang-script.

I said that before.. removing quality production or media applications only makes any sense if we get back to the cd-size again (a nice gesture for old machine-users). but staying below the limit is difficult and will be in the future, since #! grew over the last years despite having a lot fewer apps than in 9.04 - so this is why I opt for a full-featured distro. (altough it'd be nice to have cd-sized i486 version)

keep one good programm for all common tasks humans use computers for. I dont even care if it is pinta or gimp, or mediaplayer xy, cause everyone here is able to change that. it's about functionality. just have a look at that #! OB menu and how thoughtful it is put together.. compare that to other openbox distros.. it is up to corenominal to wisely decide what to include, and I am pretty confident he will go on with a well composed choice of sane default apps. -

propositions for change alright, that's what this thread is about. but people just calling bloat and asking for stripping #! to a skeleton..? I don't know... roll

Last edited by saneks (2013-05-20 21:30:22)

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

#247 2013-05-20 22:19:05

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

I'd like to suggest someone create a new app that interfaces with our webcams, automatically taking shots of our mugs each time we post a suggestion in one of these "What to Include in Crunchbang" threads. Better yet, have the application gimp our mugshots by adding white wigs, like the ones they have on parliament tv.

Obviously, Queen Nominal (and Duke Bobobex) will still make the final decisions, rendering our bickering pointless.
A step up from regular parliament, that.

Obviously, the application will have to be lightweight, or else it'll get lynched by the usual mob of anorexic chavs.

Last edited by gutterslob (2013-05-20 22:19:41)

Point & Squirt

#248 2013-05-20 22:22:58

ew
#! Die Hard

saneks wrote:

haha, wrong, it's not agreed. it is just some more people demanding this or that over that and this..

==> Finally, someone got me. It was a humouros attempt to make the decition for everyone, in order to piss ssomeone off. I like to do that now and then. We shouldn`t be so serious or easily offended. The ironi and sarchasme-radar has to be present at all times when I`m involved.

saneks wrote:

I am pretty happy we don't do polls and have corenominal who decides. I really hope #! won't be stripped of quality apps like gimp or vlc cause that would cut OOTB functionality, which was and is a major reason for many of us #!-users to consider installing this fine distro: a distro which is really well composed. I dont feel #! main focus is minimalism. it is functionality. it is beautifully designed, fast and lean and it just works really good, and programs are well integrated.  isn't this is the concept of a distro?

==> I totally agree. But at the same time I see the issue for those with older laptops that doesn`t boot from usb, and only have cd-rom. No DVD. We should have an ISO for them also. So why not strip the i486-version just enough to get it below the 700 MB limit?

saneks wrote:

download a iso, go install on x computers.. why should I download even more stuff for hours afterwards for every machine? - if I want to do that, I can do a basic net install and run a magic make-it-.crunchbang-script.

==> I understand. But we are only talking about a few big apps here. It`s not like you would spend more than 5 minutes to install them wink

saneks wrote:

I said that before.. removing quality production or media applications only makes any sense if we get back to the cd-size again (a nice gesture for old machine-users). but staying below the limit is difficult and will be in the future, since #! grew over the last years despite having a lot fewer apps than in 9.04 - so this is why I opt for a full-featured distro. (altough it'd be nice to have cd-sized i486 version)

==> Ok. That`s a nice compromiss. Getting the i486-version below 700 MB shouldn`t be difficult at all... It`s just to remove a few of the biggest apps...

saneks wrote:

keep one good programm for all common tasks humans use computers for. I dont even care if it is pinta or gimp, or mediaplayer xy, cause everyone here is able to change that. it's about functionality. just have a look at that #! OB menu and how thoughtful it is put together.. compare that to other openbox distros.. it is up to corenominal to wisely decide what to include, and I am pretty confident he will go on with a well composed choice of sane default apps. -

==> I agree. I said the same a few days ago myself when someone else proposed that we should have a poll over which apps should be default. I said that this was no democracy and that Phillip should ddo whatever he felt was best. But then UNia told me not to be so touchy about my favourite-distro. When I`m doing the opposite like today, then Unia tells me that I`m rude. Go figure big_smile

saneks wrote:

propositions for change alright, that's what this thread is about. but people just calling bloat and asking for stripping #! to a skeleton..? I don't know... roll

==> ROFL. But that`s fun, isn`t it? To be serious, I don`t need any change, because I can change whatever I would like to change. I would like lightdm instead of slim, well, I`m already using lightdm with #! I would like systemd, well guess what, I`m using it. I would like Chromium instead of Iceweasel, but am already using that too... The list could go on forever. I don`t care which apps are default or not...

Last edited by ew (2013-05-20 22:23:48)

- apt-mark hold account

#249 2013-05-20 22:31:05

ew
#! Die Hard

Unia wrote:

I agree with your first statement. I disagree with the rest. You, are, well, you - not everyone. Unless you have actual proof, do not claim you speak for or are everyone - you are far from it. Also, your claim that Those that cannot install their favourite-apps themselves, should find another hobby... is simply rude.

Who`s touchy now smile I didn`t assume that someone would think that I actually felt that I could speak on behalf of everyone. Someone`s got to put their radar up. I may have a great sense of entitlement, but not so severe that it qualifies for any diagnoses that I can come up with at this moment big_smile

- apt-mark hold account

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#250 2013-05-20 22:36:43

dura
Bloated Gimp

Less Crunch.

More Bang.

Board footer