SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-28 17:17:58

johnraff
nullglob
Website

How to: install Waldorf from the Debian netinstall

This guide is for those who are unable to install CrunchBang Waldorf from the official .iso file on a usb memory stick - maybe because their computer can't boot from anything except a CD. It uses the unofficial netinstall script discussed here. If you would like to talk about the script itself - how it works, how to customize it or how to improve it - then please post over there. edit 2014/4/5 That forum is now read-only, so please feel free to post suggestions, bugs etc here, along with support questions.

If you would like to have a look at the script before using it, you can view the GitHub repository here.

NB this method is not supported by CrunchBang, although the end result ought to be almost identical with the real thing. If you find any problems please post!

note: There is also an installer for a CrunchBang-Xfce hybrid here.

The process goes in two steps: use the Debian netinstaller to install a basic command-line Debian Wheezy system, then use the script to turn that into Waldorf. You will need a working internet connection, preferably by cable rather than wireless. A wired connection is less likely to drop out in the middle of the long install process, and non-free wireless card drivers are not included in the official Debian images. If, however, you must use wireless to connect, there are unofficial images available which include the necessary non-free drivers. (See the next item.) In detail:

1. Visit this page http://www.debian.org/releases/wheezy/debian-installer/ and find the section marked "netinst CD image (generally 150-280 MB)". Download the version that matches your computer. In fact the size will probably be more like 260MB, but still quite small enough to fit on a CD. If you must use wireless and need non-free drivers for your card, you can try the "unofficial" images further down the page, in a yellow rectangle, in the section marked netinst (generally 240-290 MB) non-free CD images with firmware You have a choice of amd64, i386 or powerpc versions. Depending on your hardware, wireless should work from the start. WPA2 encryption is supported.

2. Burn the .iso file to a CD. You can use xfburn, or any other .CD burning software.

3. Boot your computer from the CD and follow the instructions to install Debian. You can probably leave the initial menu set to the default install. (There are links on that Debian page to more documentation.) The installation process is pretty much the same as the CrunchBang installer, but there are a couple of things to watch:

• At the "Set up users and passwords" screen, do NOT enter a password for root. Type nothing and press "continue". Do this again at "Re-enter password to verify". When asked to choose a password for yourself, enter your own name and password as normal. You will then be given 'sudo' permissions, which will be needed in the script. (Sudo is the standard CrunchBang setup anyway.)

• At the "software selection" stage DESELECT EVERYTHING EXCEPT "STANDARD SYSTEM UTILITIES". You will end up with a core system only, on which the netinstall script will later add what is needed for CrunchBang. (Use up/down arrows to move, spacebar to toggle selection.)

4. After rebooting, you will get a login screen where you can enter your username and password to get a command-line prompt. Enter the following commands one at a time. You can't copy and paste, so be careful typing the url!

wget https://github.com/johnraff/cb-netinstall/archive/master.tar.gz
    tar -xpf master.tar.gz
    cd cb-netinstall-master
    ./install

The script will take over here and with any luck install Waldorf for you. Depending on your net connection and processor speed the whole process might take an hour or so.

• You will be asked early on if you want to "replace" the /etc/apt/sources.list file that got made during the Debian netinstall with the default CrunchBang version of the file, or alternatively if you'd rather "append" the necessary extra repositories to the file you currently have. The default CrunchBang settings use the http.debian.net repositories which should be fast, but which some users have reported problems with. If you would prefer to keep the Debian "main" repository you set up during the netinstall instead of http.debian.net, and add the CrunchBang and Debian "non-free" repositories to that, then select the "append" option at this point. If you'd rather use the default CrunchBang settings, choose the default option, "replace". If you're not sure, choose "replace".

• At some point while installing packages you might be asked to accept a user agreement about some non-free software (probably a driver). Agree, unless you know how to handle the consequences of refusing.

If the process fails or you run into any problems please post your questions here. Good luck!

edit 2013/7/10: Updated url of Debian netinstall images, now Wheezy is the official Stable release.

edit 2014/3/27 Amended code to download and run the script, as the GitHub version can now be used directly.

edit 2014/6/14 If you install the Debian netinstall base system with the unofficial "firmware" iso so you can use wireless, you will find your wireless settings have been lost after reboot. See this post: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 74#p372874 for two possible workarounds.

Last edited by johnraff (2014-12-13 07:43:07)

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-02-28 19:31:09

protacticus

Re: How to: install Waldorf from the Debian netinstall

Great tut, thank you  smile

#3 2013-03-01 03:59:40

morlog

Do you think this would work to install Crunchbang on a g4 ppc?

I have a signature

#4 2013-03-01 04:21:24

johnraff
nullglob
Website

@morlog It should work on any hardware if you can install a Debian core system there. There is a link to a "powerpc" .iso in the netinst section on that Debian page so you could give that a try. If it installs OK then the script ought to work too.

@protacticus cheers!

Last edited by johnraff (2013-03-01 04:22:18)

John
--------------------

#5 2013-03-01 08:05:58

onurxserver
Website

Nice work, @johnraff.

#6 2013-03-01 15:13:47

morlog

johnraff wrote:

@morlog It should work on any hardware if you can install a Debian core system there. There is a link to a "powerpc" .iso in the netinst section on that Debian page so you could give that a try. If it installs OK then the script ought to work too.

@protacticus cheers!

Cool, I've put debian on it before,  going to give this a try. Will let ya'll knw how it works.

I have a signature

#7 2013-04-10 05:15:13

johnraff
nullglob
Website

I've added a note to the top post about the "unofficial" Debian netinstall images here:
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unoff … -firmware/
These include non-free drivers and, with luck, should enable wireless internet access from the beginning of the install, in case a wired connection is not possible. WPA2 encryption is also supported. smile

John
--------------------

#8 2013-05-18 18:49:29

ThinkChaos

This is awesome!
My server is old (early 2002), and the BIOS' USB support is really bad, it can't even boot a simple image.
Anyways, since Waldorf's iso is larger than 700Mb, I tried a bunch of stuff, until I found this.

I'm running the script right now, I"ll tell you when it's done.
Thanks.

EDIT:
This worked like a charm, thank you!

Last edited by ThinkChaos (2013-05-18 19:22:40)

#9 2013-05-20 19:52:37

iann
#! Die Hard

Thanks for that.  It seemed obvious it should be possible, but I didn't know what scripts would apply the CB changes.  Does this leave around all the unused Debian packages?  I did this with Statler and ended up with an install about twice the size of a normal Statler.

#10 2013-05-20 20:33:48

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

AFAIK this process doesn't remove anything, that would be up to you to trim your system later on.

From ArchBang to SlackBang | Project SlackBang

Say no to bugs. - It's not a bug, it's a worm.

#11 2013-05-20 21:27:58

WuFu
#! Member

If I read correctly, this uses the Debian base install and then changes it to a full #! install, no? As I see it, there shouldn't be much overhead after all... At least, the minimal Debian installation shouldn't be too big. Or is the overhead coming from the apt-get cache/downloaded files? I might give this a go and investigate the results smile

#12 2013-05-21 12:36:25

johnraff
nullglob
Website

As WuFu says, the script starts with the Debian Netinstall base install - if you remember to deselect everything at the software selection phase (#3 in the instructions at the top) then there should be very few extra packages which wouldn't have come with the Waldorf iso. Maybe acpid, and a couple of dictionary files.

If you run the script on a previously installed system (not recommended, but perhaps doable), the process is purely additive. No packages are removed, but some config files are modified.

Anyway, please report any issues - all feedback is very welcome!

John
--------------------

#13 2013-06-01 20:29:24

notchuck

Any tips on doing this with a powerpc? I can install debian base just fine, but when I tried this, then it wouldn't boot into anything but the commandline, and within the command line, I couldn't use any programs.

I can try it with a full install next, but is there anything in #! that doesn't actually work with the ppc architecture?

I mostly use Lubuntu on it, but I'm looking to speed it up even further, and debian is stable as all get out, so that's another bonus. There's some pretty serious graphics issues with L/U/X/K/whatever/buntu when it comes to powerpc.

I'm running an iBook G4, mostly just to test things on.

I'm also thinking of trying this out: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=19736 (building from 12.04 ubuntu, which if I remember correctly, didn't have the stupid graphics blunders)

Last edited by notchuck (2013-06-01 20:31:02)

#14 2013-06-04 03:32:05

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Hi notchuck - I've not tried this on a mac of any kind, so can't comment from experience, only guesswork...

To recap:
* Ubuntu installs & runs OK
* Debian base installs OK
right?

It sounds indeed as if the problem might be that some of the #! packages don't have a ppc version (repos), and some necessary biraries aren't being installed, or aren't working. After running the script are you able to open the logfile ~/.cb-netinstall-logs/install.log ? If so, have a look for error messages from apt during the package installation phase. Alternatively, you might be able to run a live session of some distro or other to view the file on your hard drive.

Since most of the "crunchyness" lies in the configuration, scripts and menus it ought to be possible to substitute standard Debian packages for the problem ones. You'd only miss out on some tweaks that corenominal has built into the #! packages.

Anyway, if we can pin down the problem packages, a fix might be possible. smile

John
--------------------

#15 2013-06-04 03:42:17

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

Agree with John, I'd only get the cb-scripts/cb-pipemenus package from Philip's server and do all other things like package installation manually. It's maybe a work of 2-3 hours (downloads included), but you have better control over what is being generated on the computer smile

Sweaty lads picking up the soap | I love the new "Ignore user" button

#16 2013-06-04 03:45:58

Super-Nathan
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Hey would you be willing to put this on github? I think it would be great to make it easily accessible. Since this is a script, compression isn't required as it is a small file and github bandwidth is free.

You could just git clone it and DL what you need.

plus I selfishly want to fork it and modify it!

Last edited by Super-Nathan (2013-06-04 03:50:09)

#echo "Something useful" > /dev/null

PiBang Linux

#17 2013-06-04 12:35:44

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Hi Super-Nathan - the installer is on github already:
https://github.com/johnraff/cb-netinstall
Feel free to fork, modify and send pull requests! smile

At the moment I can't use github as the d/l url for the installer though, because for some reason permissions on directories are not being preserved. ( One specific dir. needs r/w none none ) I've tried the zip d/l and tar.gz d/l but both mess up permissions, whereas the Dropbox tar.gz is fine.

If you'd like to continue this discussion, could we move over to the "dev" thread here:
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=21266

This thread is really meant for solving users' problems (if possible)...

John
--------------------

#18 2013-06-04 21:18:06

notchuck

johnraff wrote:

Hi notchuck - I've not tried this on a mac of any kind, so can't comment from experience, only guesswork...

To recap:
* Ubuntu installs & runs OK
* Debian base installs OK
right?

It sounds indeed as if the problem might be that some of the #! packages don't have a ppc version (repos), and some necessary biraries aren't being installed, or aren't working. After running the script are you able to open the logfile ~/.cb-netinstall-logs/install.log ? If so, have a look for error messages from apt during the package installation phase. Alternatively, you might be able to run a live session of some distro or other to view the file on your hard drive.

Since most of the "crunchyness" lies in the configuration, scripts and menus it ought to be possible to substitute standard Debian packages for the problem ones. You'd only miss out on some tweaks that corenominal has built into the #! packages.

Anyway, if we can pin down the problem packages, a fix might be possible. smile

OLD Ubuntu installs and runs okay, Debian installs just fine, too.

I'll try a reinstall tonight when I'm done working with this method and we'll see what comes up.

How will I be able to look for error messages during installation?

Thank you!

#19 2013-06-05 05:11:16

johnraff
nullglob
Website

@notchuck error messages will appear on the terminal as the netinstall script runs. They might flash past too fast to read though, but they will also be recorded in a big file 'install.log' in the .cb-netinstall-logs folder created in your home directory.

After the script has run, and before rebooting, does your system still seem to be working? Can you open a new terminal with (Ctrl+)Alt+F2~ and run some commands OK? If so, try

cat ~/.cb-netinstall-logs/install.log

The script is verbose, so the file is very long. You might prefer to substitute "less" for "cat" so you can view the file bit by bit, and search for words (less is the standard reader for man pages).

John
--------------------

#20 2013-07-12 14:17:19

brandon_mn
#! Member
Website

Thanks for this -- I've been looking for a way to get a stable #! install on my Chromebook (Acer C7, intel chipset) for awhile now, and this seems to fit the bill. I'm installing right now, but I'll keep you posted.

The best way I've found to run a standard linux environment on Chrome OS is via a tool called Crouton (created by a Google dev, no less!) that allows you to create a chroot and install Debian or Ubuntu in that chroot. Sadly, those are the only two distro choices they currently allow. This script changes all that, and I'm thankful that someone went to all the trouble of making it happen. I hope that scripts like these accompany every version of #!, they're tremendously helpful smile

Thanks for your work!

[update 12 Jul 2013] Everything installed properly, to my knowledge, but I can't get the GUI to start. When I enter the chroot, it only opens a command line terminal (not in openbox, but the standard CLI). Is there a command or script I'm missing?

Thanks!

B

Last edited by brandon_mn (2013-07-12 15:40:20)

"Be well, do good works, and keep in touch" - Garrison Keillor
--
Custom AMD A6-6400k tower (#! Waldorf/Sid)
Acer Chromebook C710 (#! or Fedora)

#21 2013-07-12 17:51:56

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Hi brandon_mn thanks for trying the script out. smile
If you run 'startx' in the terminal you get, does a regular CrunchBang environment open up?
If so, it might be a problem with Slim somewhere...

John
--------------------

#22 2013-07-12 18:20:07

brandon_mn
#! Member
Website

startx gives me the following output:

X.Org X Server 1.12.4
Release Date: 2012-08-27
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.32-5-686-bigmem i686 Debian
Current Operating System: Linux localhost 3.4.0 #1 SMP Wed Jul 3 23:12:07 PDT 2013 i686
Kernel command line: cros_secure  console= loglevel=7 init=/sbin/init cros_secure oops=panic panic=-1 root=/dev/dm-1 rootwait ro dm_verity.error_behav
ior=3 dm_verity.max_bios=-1 dm_verity.dev_wait=1 dm="2 vboot none ro 1,0 2129920 bootcache 4fd27324-23af-3244-8b62-8e916eb5be89+1 2129920 83e56f8601c6
2aad4e9541bb72fcd66c40bf093a 512 20000 100000, vroot none ro 1,0 2097152 verity payload=254:0 hashtree=254:0 hashstart=2097152 alg=sha1 root_hexdigest
=8d9406e9e271704bc49443a1f453da3d0dfc6536 salt=0d0499799a8663cdcfe996ddc57be967efdde312a86a55d848e29076cfa27be8" noinitrd vt.global_cursor_default=0 k
ern_guid=4fd27324-23af-3244-8b62-8e916eb5be89 add_efi_memmap boot=local noresume noswap i915.modeset=1 tpm_tis.force=1 tpm_tis.interrupts=0 nmi_watchd
og=panic,lapic
Build Date: 17 April 2013  11:13:16AM
xorg-server 2:1.12.4-6 (Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>)
Current version of pixman: 0.26.0
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
        to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.1.log", Time: Fri Jul 12 16:05:24 2013
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
xinit: connection to X server lost
waiting for X server to shut down Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

Thanks for your help smile

{EDIT: after giving all users ability to launch X, above quote is the output. Looking around, it seems like it could be a problem with the display manager (slim?), but I don't quite know where to start. I know I'm missing ~/.xinitrc, but I'm not sure how to find one.}

Last edited by brandon_mn (2013-07-12 23:40:27)

--

#23 2013-07-13 16:54:18

johnraff
nullglob
Website

I'm not on Waldorf right now, but I don't think the default #! setup has a ~/.xinitrc, or needs one.

I'm not the one to ask, but it looks as if you've hit one of those dreaded xorg/driver issues.

Before diving into that, which will definitely need help from someone else, can we check if the Crunchbang netinstall script finished OK? Can you have a look at ~/.cb-netinstall-logs/install.log and maybe post the last few lines?

John
--------------------

#24 2013-07-13 20:27:11

brandon_mn
#! Member
Website

Ah, yeah, that would make sense -- these stinkin' chromebooks are riddled with proprietary weirdness.

The script finished properly, but I'll check the section where Xorg installed and post that here, if there are any errors.

Yeah, this sort of thing is a bit out of my league as well -- thanks for helping me determine the issue!

b

Last edited by brandon_mn (2013-07-13 20:27:40)

--

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2013-07-14 23:24:50

brandon_mn
#! Member
Website

It turns out, I think, the maintainer of the tool I was using to run Debian in a chroot failed to add a necessary keyboard driver to the basic debian install, messing with the whole operation.

I managed to get X11 up-and-running, and an openbox environment started with

xinit openbox

but that only works so long as I have a pesky terminal window open, and nothing else (conky, panels, etc) start up. If I just do "xinit," an unformatted terminal window starts.

I might try this again from the start, and see where it takes me, and I'll let you know if anything changes.

Thanks again!

UPDATE:

I reinstalled Wheezy after I updated the chroot tool, and your script seemed to work like a charm. However, I still can't get the GUI or Slim to load. When I try startx or xinit, it says "X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting."

My log file (from .cb-netinstall-logs in my home directory) is available here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/720615/install.log

I think it has to be something to do with how my system launches X: because it's a chroot and starts within another OS, there's no good way to get a login manager started. Or something. ;P

Last edited by brandon_mn (2013-07-15 19:37:54)

--

Board footer