SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-24 19:41:10

Infected

What kind of cellphone are you using?

I currently use an HTC One S and i am thinking of  changing it. What kind of cell phone are you using?

“The 'Net is a waste of time, and that's exactly what's right about it.”
― William Gibson

Twitter

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-02-24 19:59:08

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

Re: What kind of cellphone are you using?

A dumbphone. Battery lasts 10 days and I couldn't care less what happens to it. It's like a disposable cigarette lighter. I'll probably get a Nexus 4, or Nokia N9 next.

#3 2013-02-24 20:15:14

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

el_koraco wrote:

I'll probably get a Nexus 4.

With Ubuntu Touch? big_smile

I have a Nokia Lumia 800 by the way.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#4 2013-02-24 20:40:22

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

Unia wrote:
el_koraco wrote:

I'll probably get a Nexus 4.

With Ubuntu Touch? big_smile

I'd probably just root the thing, not go into flashing.

#5 2013-02-24 20:49:14

zalew
#! Junkie

htc wildfire with cyanogen 7.1 (android 2.3.7)

#6 2013-02-24 20:49:47

TeoBigusGeekus
#! Die Hard

Over 2 years with my HTC Desire.
I've screwed its brains out, installed every rom I could get my hands on; finally settled with Oxygen rom, probably the best for the Desire.
I truly hope my next phone will also be a smartphone but it doesn't depend on me unfortunately...

Please make Autocad Civil 3D and Archicad work on Linux!

#7 2013-02-24 21:03:58

MartinRF
#! Junkie
Website

Nokia 700 since last spring when my old dumbphone's battery gave up after eight years. The 700 is easy to take from GSM-only to 3G and back so battery life is typically about a week. It spends most of its time in a pocket and since it is really small it fits into any pocket with ease. I went for size and decent call quality rather than maximizing gaming and surfing experience. I don't care much for apps...

My work-phone is a five-year old dumbphone (Sony-Ericsson W580). It stopped syncing to Outlook's calender mid-December and it is a bit of a problem at work so I may have to ditch it. I am procrastinating :-) (Nokia N9 -- that would be kind of fun -- or a Windows phone to make sure integration with my employer's office tools works well?)

/Martin

#8 2013-02-24 21:28:37

sorcerer's_apprentice
#! Junkie

Infected wrote:

I currently use an HTC One S and i am thinking of  changing it. What kind of cell phone are you using?

None. For various reasons. Apart from the annoyance-factor see here and here.

#9 2013-02-24 21:28:56

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

MartinRF wrote:

My work-phone is a five-year old dumbphone (Sony-Ericsson W580). It stopped syncing to Outlook's calender mid-December and it is a bit of a problem at work so I may have to ditch it. I am procrastinating :-) (Nokia N9 -- that would be kind of fun -- or a Windows phone to make sure integration with my employer's office tools works well?)

/Martin

My Windows Phone experience has been very enjoyable on one side and very frustrating on the other.

All of my friends use Whatsapp, but Whatsapp does not support WP very well; when it is installed my battery time literally drops hours. I have jumped to all the alternatives but of course my friends would have to install another app just to talk with me (the only WP user amongst my friends). Also, the browser is quite slow and sometimes just stalls loading the webpage around 80%. Other than those main hurdles, it lacks a few minor but important features: I can't turn of screen rotation, WiFi goes off when the screen is locked and of course, I need Zune to sync it. tongue

However, integration with my Outlook email (formerly known as Hotmail) has been splendid (contacts, agenda and mail) and the OS itself is very fluid and refreshening. I think that the browser and Whatsapp have greatly improved with Windows Phone 8 (I'm on 7.8, btw) though...

So, just my 2 cts on Windows Phone big_smile Hope it'll help you a tiny bit wink

Last edited by Unia (2013-02-24 21:30:25)

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#10 2013-02-24 23:26:32

km00
#! CrunchBanger

sorcerer's_apprentice wrote:

None. For various reasons.

Nice! and I thought I was the only one without one in this day and age.

Last edited by km00 (2013-02-24 23:26:54)

Under a Rock with a 6gb connection

#11 2013-02-24 23:48:01

mosesgunn
#! CrunchBanger

@el_k  I would highly reccomend the Nexus 4.  I have had one for about 3 months, and it's super smooth.  It is also my first smartphone and it rocks!

#12 2013-02-24 23:55:14

JLloyd13
#! Member

an iPhone 4. about 18 months left on the contract, after that it's good bye capple for ever (I've had to put up with so much crap from that phone and ecosystem it's unbelievable)

#13 2013-02-25 00:16:43

sorcerer's_apprentice
#! Junkie

km00 wrote:

You are not alone.

DigitalCourage-No-Cell-Phone

Last edited by sorcerer's_apprentice (2013-02-25 00:17:22)

#14 2013-02-25 00:59:41

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

A hundred year old POS that I have just for emergencies

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

I dev VSIDO

#15 2013-02-25 03:15:38

pvsage
Internal Affairs

km00 wrote:

You two are now best forum members. cool

#16 2013-02-25 03:20:01

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Using a Samsung Flight II a.k.a. a messaging phone. The touch screen sucks *** but I do like having a physical keyboard for those rare text messages.

#17 2013-02-25 04:04:19

km00
#! CrunchBanger

pvsage wrote:
km00 wrote:

You two are now best forum members. cool

I also don't use an Ipod but a handed down walkman which witnessed Bob Marley live!  ]:D

Under a Rock with a 6gb connection

#18 2013-02-25 04:14:55

zalew
#! Junkie

km00 wrote:

some time ago I've had a no phone experience for a few weeks or so. at first it's quite amazing and refreshing, but after a while it gets annoying.

#19 2013-02-25 04:30:17

Dobbie03
Resident Metaller

I am using an HTC One X.  Love my phone, I used to have an iPhone and the One X blows it away.

#20 2013-02-25 04:38:11

sorcerer's_apprentice
#! Junkie

km00 wrote:

I also don't use an Ipod but a handed down walkman which witnessed Bob Marley live!  ]:D

Well, you got me beat on that one. I was actually one of the last person's hunting down the good old tapes in electronic stores before they took most of them of the market. I loved them. But then the internet took over, my walkman broke - and so I switched over to mp3.

zalew wrote:

some time ago I've had a no phone experience for a few weeks or so. at first it's quite amazing and refreshing, but after a while it gets annoying.

I guess that depends on your telephone-habits. I can imagine that this would start to suck if you have to call lots of people or need to be available often.

Since my time is limited - I only give out my personal contact data to a limited circle of people. Email is the preferred option.

I really don't need a mobile phone. I had one several years. And I almost never used it. Then I started leaving it at home more frequently and then I decided to switch it off for good. I mean, if you could anonymize its use - I would probably carry one around for convenience - but since that is completely out of the question I rather not use it at all.

Last edited by sorcerer's_apprentice (2013-02-25 04:39:45)

#21 2013-02-25 05:17:29

zalew
#! Junkie

zalew wrote:

I guess that depends on your telephone-habits. I can imagine that this would start to suck if you have to call lots of people or need to be available often.

Since my time is limited - I only give out my personal contact data to a limited circle of people. Email is the preferred option.

I hate talking over the phone, except a limited number of people I like, and this pretty much sums it up http://theoatmeal.com/comics/phone email is asyncronous so don't waste my time - think over what you want and write it down, I'll think it over and respond. too bad so many people don't understand that. when I lost my phone, it was a burner, so as a positive side effect, a lot of people lost my number. other positive side effect is appointment habbits - you either both are at the place on a certain time frame, or everything falls apart, so it's better social discipline and kind of a retro experience, lol. that said, while refreshing, there are a lot of negative sides I noticed, so I have to say phones are here to stay and they're useful. smartphones are even more useful when not abused, no brainer.

most cultures have established that visiting someone unappointed is rude, maybe someday we'll learn calling someone unappointed is rude too.

#22 2013-02-25 06:11:38

sorcerer's_apprentice
#! Junkie

That comic is great!

Yeah, calling someone unappointed to me is a symptom of bad manners. It's such a huge infringement of personal freedom and privacy. And to me people who haven't yet realized that are basically retarded.

I mean, if you're my girl-friend or my buddy - sure - you can call anytime. But it took a while to educate even these people about my needs of freedom and privacy. So, if you call me: have a reason. Don't try to social engineer me into some kind of shit. Don't get on my nerves and get to the point. Basically. wink

And as far as manners are concerned: If I have an appointment with someone - and they don't show up within a 15 minute time-frame - I might not be there when you roll in half an hour later. So, if you can't call me you have to get going and be on time. What's so hard about that? We had that down for the last millenia. Oh, yeah, but now I have a cell-phone so I can 1) call you anytime from anywhere and 2) when we have an appointment I don't need to hurry because I can just drop you a call to tell you that I will be late. Dynamite. Waste-of-time².

Last edited by sorcerer's_apprentice (2013-02-25 07:27:58)

#23 2013-02-25 06:49:51

Iranon
#! Junkie

iPhone 3GS. Has been working just fine for 3 years, but I'll switch to something else when it breaks.

LEGO won't be ready for the average user until it comes pre-assembled, in a single  unified look, and glued together so it doesn't come apart.

#24 2013-02-25 07:00:35

junkie
#! Junkie

galaxy nexus hspa+. I broke the screen during the first two weeks, on Christmas day. sad Can't speak for everyone's experience but my phone had a few dirty hooks. On low brightness, gray colors turn to a purple tint. Also, since the first day I got my phone the USB port will register as if it were charging if my finger touches it. I wish I could charge my phone with my thumb but no.

Last edited by junkie (2013-02-25 07:04:00)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#25 2013-02-25 07:16:58

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@Iranon & junkie:  Thanks for bringing this thread back on-topic.

@Infected:  I apologize for allowing - and even encouraging - this thread to become an anti-cellphone rant, and I sincerely hope you get some good advice on your choice of a new phone.

Board footer