SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#76 2013-03-13 16:49:21

sexynsmartjenny
#! CrunchBanger

Re: How To: smxi Install and Setup

VastOne wrote:

Start smxi again and re run the video drivers portion again and take note that it does in fact install or if it gives you any error messages

when I tried to install kernel it said there was no debian kernel.   Should I have chosen liquorix kernel in stead of debian kernel?

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#77 2013-03-13 16:55:50

sexynsmartjenny
#! CrunchBanger

ok when i tried to dist-upgrade, I got this:

the following package have unmet dependencies
nvidia-kernel-dkms: depends: nvidia-kernel-common (>=20100522)
but it is not installed
E: unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

#78 2013-03-13 16:59:42

sexynsmartjenny
#! CrunchBanger

ok, so I fixed the dist-upgrade by using -f, now however, when I go to option 6 kernel, it tells me there is no debian kernel.  what do i do now?  what kernel should i choose?  There is no "install apt kernel" option.

Ok, so when I tried to install current nvidia, this is the error I got:

removing nvidia-kernel-common
                nvidia-kernel-dkms

Error Bad conf file

file: /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/195.36.31/source/dkms.conf does not represent a valid dkms.conf file

dpkg: error processing nvidia-kernel-dkms (--urge):
subprocess installed pre-remvoal script returned error exit status 5
configured to not write apport reports dpkg: nvidia-kernel-common: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you requested

Last edited by sexynsmartjenny (2013-03-13 17:28:02)

#79 2013-03-13 17:47:05

sexynsmartjenny
#! CrunchBanger

if it's not working, can you at least tell me how i can remove everything and go back to before i installed smxi?

#80 2013-03-14 00:37:32

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

I am in no way the developer for smxi.  This How To is provided solely for the purpose of providing a method to install smxi, alternative kernels and video drivers.  I am also not responsible for anyone who tries this and it fails or borks the system

It is always wise to do a backup of your setup before trying something new

I have no idea what you have done to your system to get it to this state.  If you provide details on what you did, perhaps I can help further. I have never borked any system using smxi and will need to know precisely what you did in order to help.

I do hope to see this resolved

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

I dev VSIDO

#81 2013-03-14 01:03:10

sexynsmartjenny
#! CrunchBanger

so basically i followed your tutorial step by step except when I got to 6) choose kernel options I did not see install apt-kernel and I think I chose something else.  Then I just continue to 7) continue-to-graphics and then when I rebooted it just gave me the error message

failed to start X server
it is not set correctly

Failed to load module "g1x" (module does not exist)
Failed to load module "nvidia" (module does not exist)
No driver available
Fatal server error:
no screens found

I tried to reinstall following your tutorial several times to no avail.  Was I wrong to choose have chosen debian kernel?  My kernel is debian I believe and now it's liqourix kernel.  Thank you for helping me.

#82 2013-03-14 01:11:53

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

When you boot and at your grub screen you can hit e while the line is highlighted.. that will tell us for sure what kernel you are on right now

You can also get this information for a tty screen by doing a

uname -r

at the prompt, after you have logged in

When you got to step 7, please detail exactly what you did there

I dev VSIDO

#83 2013-03-14 01:17:32

sexynsmartjenny
#! CrunchBanger

hey good news!  I reinstalled nvidia and all of a sudden my desktop pumped back up!  this is so weird.  so i can use my computer again.  I dont even know what i am doing to be honest!  I will buy another external hard drive and back up all my documents photos and movies to it tomorrow immediately!

#84 2013-03-14 01:26:57

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Great news Jenny!  Well done!

The best thing is you never gave up and you got it done... smile

On a first time install of the nVidia driver, smxi cannot clear nouveau correctly... and that will produce a blank screen.  The solution is to install nVidia again in smxi.  This is most likely what happened.

I dev VSIDO

#85 2013-04-09 14:01:25

zhogan85
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Thanks for the good howto! I'm now running Liquorix, to alleviate freezing/crashing I was experiencing in Waldorf.

One note in case anyone else has this issue, I have a multiboot system and simply rebooting into Crunchbang didn't boot with the new kernel. I had to boot into the OS with grub on the MBR, and update-grub there, and then it was smooth sailing.

Thanks again!

#86 2013-04-09 18:31:03

dura
Bloated Gimp

^Yes, that is one to remember. Another option is to install grub from within CrunchBang (/dev/sda or whatever), and update-grub.

#87 2013-05-14 17:35:16

mosesgunn
#! CrunchBanger

So, I have been running Waldorf and using smxi to get that sweet lquorix kernel.  Because Waldorf is Stable now, the liquorix kernel is not my friend!  Should i point my sources to testing?  wait for Janice? help!

#88 2013-05-14 17:46:13

zhogan85
#! CrunchBanger
Website

By not your friend, do you mean its causing issues? If so, please elaborate. Otherwise, it can still most definitely be your friend even though Waldorf is now "stable".

#89 2013-05-14 17:55:45

mosesgunn
#! CrunchBanger

Wow!  I did not mean to say it as being "my friend."  When I tried to add the liquorix repositories, it said that it could not because I was using a satable version of debian.  I wanted to try out the newest Waldorf image, to seed and check it out.  How can I add the repos back?

#90 2013-05-16 18:47:52

Gordon
#! CrunchBanger

Hi

Well I jumped in and installed sid, systemd and lightdm and it all worked ok so I thought I would go the hole hog and try smxi liquorix, all went well until I did the graphics bit, I have and old machine with a geforce 6200 card, I selected the correct driver and it said  it had installed it ok but it now says that I have the wrong kernel to work it and to find and install the kernel I was on, sum hope LOL but I will give it a try and then do another install as usual. Just thought I would let you know how I got on with it, probably won't try it again smxi that is. now it will only boot as far as the tty screen ho ho

Cheers smile smile
Gordon
Using Janice Testing at present also sid and systemd and  VSIDO
A7N8X delux motherboard, 1 GB ram, AMD ATHLON XP 2800+ ( 2255 Mhz ), Nvidia Geforce PNY 62000 graphics card

#91 2013-05-16 19:10:09

chameleon
UK #! Guy
Website

Hmm...well I will try and help;
If you have changed your sources to SId then fire up smxi;
Upgrade as per the script...
Once the upgrade has completed proceed to graphics section and choose a driver for your graphics card...some of them will not work...but do not give up hope wink
If you reboot and end up at the command line you can fire up smxi with;

sudo smxi

and run through the script again to the graphics section.
Try another driver and rinse cool and repeat.

Honestly, in my opinion 'smxi' is the coolest thing in computing apart from CTRL C/CTRL V cool

Give the script a couple more tries before you ditch it.

Greetings from an old Lancashire lad from Southport ( now Merseyside  big_smile ) and now living in Radio Luxembourg  cool )

I would be interested in how you get on with smxi...sometimes it takes a little time to crack it...bon courage!)

#92 2013-05-17 17:09:46

Gordon
#! CrunchBanger

Hi Junkie,

Thanks for the reply. Don't worry I never give up that easily, I usually give it a good try first, till I can't think of anythig else to try.

Last edited by Gordon (2013-05-17 17:10:13)

Cheers smile smile
Gordon
A7N8X delux motherboard, 1 GB ram, AMD ATHLON XP 2800+ ( 2255 Mhz ), Nvidia Geforce PNY 62000 graphics card

#93 2013-05-17 17:54:19

chameleon
UK #! Guy
Website

@Gordon
Good Man!
actually the 'pseudo' is 'chameleon'...but yes I guess I am a Crunchbang junkie  cool

#94 2013-05-17 21:59:23

Gordon
#! CrunchBanger

Hi chameleon,

OOOOp's Sorry about that just read the wrong thing  ]:D  Still trying with no luck so far though just cant get past the login screen

Cheers smile smile
Gordon

#95 2013-05-18 00:24:04

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Most every time on a new install of smxi, it is needed to run the video drivers install a second time immediately after rebooting from the fist install of the drivers as chameleon has outlined so brilliantly

I dev VSIDO

#96 2013-05-18 02:00:38

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

@VastOne

I managed to make it through this one on my new Sid/no-X project.  I looked over your info opposed to how I do it, and I didn't see any issues at all.  Thanks for the really great how-to.

#97 2013-05-18 02:02:16

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ Thanks DebianJoe...

This one seems to have helped quite a few people, for that I am grateful..

I dev VSIDO

#98 2013-05-19 20:36:13

Gordon
#! CrunchBanger

Hi

Well I finally gave in and did a complete re-install to get back to sid. I ram through smxi about 10 times between doing other things with no luck, I could not get it to go past the tty login screen on boot up no matter what I did so I guess that I did something wrong but have no idea what. Still another day and another re-install so to try again at some time or other. I will get there in the end

Cheers smile smile
Gordon

#99 2013-05-31 11:37:43

farinet
#! Junkie

May be this is the right place to ask this question. I installed smxi long time ago, successfully. I installed to the liquorix repository and the liquorix kernel (all thanks to you experienced crunchbang users! Thanks again  smile ).

Now, smxi offers the option to install siduction kernel as well as liquorix (and, i did not check it actually, but i presume: a siduction repository too). Now,

- would be preferrable: liquorix or siduction as kernel?
- should/could live together liquorix and siduction repository? And, would that make any sense?

TIA

=========
Footnote: I've a big problem with powermanagement of my laptop (Samsung 535uc) and constantly looking, if some newer kernel and/or software might bring a solution. All i tried up to now, did not bring any solution.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#100 2013-05-31 11:54:53

xaos52
The Good Doctor

You can enable both repos and install both kernels on the same system, all it takes is some disk space and a couple lines in the grub menu.

When your system is recent go for the most recent kernel.
Test which one works best for you.

As to the differences between them, I don't know.

I myself use the most recent kernel from sid.

My conclusion is: if all your HW works with a certain kernel, then the only reason to go for a customized kernel would be because some new functionaity was introduced in the new kernel that you find interesting.

Otherwise you as an end user will not notice any differences in performance between the different kernels.

Board footer