SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-24 21:28:45

Palmer

Ubuntu One on Crunchbang?

I have tried looking it up on Google, but I'm not 100% sure. I don't get the results I'm looking for, really.

Is there I way I can install Ubuntu One on Crunchbang/Openbox without installing major GNOME dependencies like Nautilus and such?

Please don't just say "Well if you want Ubuntu features switch to Ubuntu" because it's not that simple. I see this a lot but I synced a bunch of pictures and music before I had made the switch to #! (explained in my Intro post). I don't want to click each individual link for 400+ images and the songs in each album.

Also, is it possible that developers include this in future releases of Crunchbang? I believe U1 is still an open-source client.

Thanks in advance.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-10-24 21:31:48

omns
#! wanderer

Re: Ubuntu One on Crunchbang?

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=63310

smile

Edit: I'm just posting this as a reference. I agree with the opinion in that thread that you shouldn't be adding Ubuntu packages to a Debian distro. In this case it will most likely work but at some stage it will most likely break it as well yikes

#3 2012-10-24 22:05:37

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ Wow, what a heated discussion that was... smile

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

I dev VSIDO

#4 2012-10-24 22:10:24

omns
#! wanderer

oh lol, I didn't read the rest of the thread.... some people roll I do agree with the don't use Ubuntu packages on Debian distros though. A sure fire recipe for breakage.

Edit: Caveat added to my original reply smile

#5 2012-10-24 22:11:22

pvsage
Internal Affairs

...and my new word for the day is "butnut". lol

#6 2012-10-24 22:24:12

omns
#! wanderer

Palmer wrote:

Is there I way I can install Ubuntu One on Crunchbang/Openbox without installing major GNOME dependencies like Nautilus and such?

hmmm, I missed this bit. I would say the answer is no. Have you considered switching to Dropbox for storing/syncing your files? It's a much better option imo and allows you to move freely amongst distros.

#7 2012-10-24 22:49:07

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

First:  What in the hell are you doing asking for help on the debian forum?  If I were on fire and the only person able to put me out were reachable solely by posting on the debian forum, I would grab a bag of marshmallows and settle in for my conversion to carbon.  Some of the most venemous and spiteful posts I've ever seen on community forums were posted there by people that thought they were helping people.  Hopefully you've learned your lessen and will set your hosts to redirect forums.debian.net to crunchbanglinux.org/forums.

I've thought this for a while.

Second:  did you find this thread?  I don't see anything in that howto that would be undoable in #! Waldorf.  If you've tried it, let us know where you're getting stopped and we'll do our best to help you out.

EDIT: I don't think you're going to get out of the listed dependencies, however simply because the system was written to depend on and use them.

and finally third:  Welcome to the site, Palmer!  I hope you hang out with us even after your issue's resolved smile

Last edited by schwim (2012-10-24 22:51:09)

#8 2012-10-24 22:55:25

omns
#! wanderer

^ schwim, that post makes no sense at all. No one here has asked for help on the Debian forums. The link is just a reference to a howto freely available via any google search. I thought about not adding it but if it's easy to find there's no point hiding it. Hopefully it will bring about respectful discussion about the rights and wrongs of the method discussed.

I'd also ask that you don't go about bashing other forums here. It's not what we are about.

#9 2012-10-24 22:58:47

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

To add to omns thoughts, I am a member of the debian forums and although different from what we have here, it is still a place with incredibly knowledgeable people and a wealth of information.

I dev VSIDO

#10 2012-10-24 23:21:45

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

Hi there again Palmer!

Having just found out what we're about here, I would like to suggest that you consider asking the fine people over at the debian forums for assistance any time you find yourself in a pickle.  They're a great gaggle of chaps over there.  I'd go halfsies on a baby with any one of them.

#11 2012-10-24 23:28:43

omns
#! wanderer

schwim, please see my PM.

#12 2012-10-24 23:34:15

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

VastOne wrote:

To add to omns thoughts, I am a member of the debian forums and although different from what we have here, it is still a place with incredibly knowledgeable people and a wealth of information.

It's still a dung heap.

#13 2012-10-24 23:54:20

Palmer

omns wrote:
Palmer wrote:

hmmm, I missed this bit. I would say the answer is no. Have you considered switching to Dropbox for storing/syncing your files? It's a much better option imo and allows you to move freely amongst distros.

I have considered it. But I realized that it is only 2 GB of storage space. With the little bit of music and pictures I have added, that's already 50% of it. I suppose I could at some point pay to get more space but at the moment I'm unemployed.

I know adding things specific to Ubuntu to a Debian based OS seems kind of pointless, but like I said, all of my stuff is already on U1. I would have to go through and literally click hundreds and hundreds of individual download links only to re-sync it all to another service.

I was hoping there would be a way to adapt it to Openbox better. hmm
I guess I will just have to try that link for now. Though I would have liked to do it without adding major GNOME dependencies. Though I don't agree with the "Please do not install packages meant for one on the other" logic mentioned in that other thread, because this kind of defeats the purpose of FOSS. (but I guess that's partially Canonical's fault, isn't it?)

Last edited by Palmer (2012-10-25 00:24:14)

#14 2012-10-25 00:30:14

omns
#! wanderer

el_koraco wrote:

It's still a dung heap.

Well it's not the way I like to interact on a forum but they seem to have a plenty of people who enjoy (or at least put up with) that sort of thing. That said, there's lots of useful and handy information there if you can see past all the other stuff smile

#15 2012-10-25 00:56:18

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

el_koraco wrote:

It's still a dung heap.

To each their own .... wink

Dung is an important byproduct of livestock. It is used as manure, or is converted into dung cakes for use as fuel or mixed with clay for flooring and plastering of mud houses. Apart from these important uses of dung, it also has a great environmental value. Its contributions to environment could be positive as well as negative. From the negative side, methane emission from manure management is a negative environmental externality. The positive externality is the use of dung cake as domestic fuel, which can be seen as a substitution or replacement of the equivalent amount of thermal energy from fuel-wood or fossil-fuel. It is a great saving on fuel-wood by cutting down of standing forests and trees, and another is the saving of land that is required to produce replacement amount of fuel-wood for dung cake. In the present paper we have estimated the quantity of fuel-wood that would be required to replace dung-cake as domestic fuel, and the land area that would be required to produce or supply that amount of fuel-wood. At current feeding rates, India produces over 83 million tonnes of dry dung-cake, which is used annually by the rural households as domestic fuel for cooking and warming. If this amount of dung cake was to be replaced by fuel wood, the country will require producing an additional amount of 23.5 million tonnes of fuel-wood, and the additional land requirement for fuel-wood plantation will be about 2.35 million ha. From the perspective of food production, supposing that under traditional rainfed agriculture food grains yield ranges from 1.5 to 2 tonnes/ha, the land saved would produce 3.5 to 5 million tonnes of food grains.

I dev VSIDO

#16 2012-10-25 04:41:39

Palmer

Well, that method mentioned on Debian forums didn't work for me... hmm

I'll just look for an alternative with at least 5 GB free, unfortunately I'll still have to go through and download/rip everything again to sync it. http://alternativeto.net/software/ubunt … ubuntu-one

Last edited by Palmer (2012-10-25 04:41:59)

#17 2012-10-25 20:20:46

pghjake
#! Member

google drive is 5gb. i'm using it on waldorf through the fine insync daemon.  Instructions available here https://www.insynchq.com/linux

#18 2012-10-25 21:33:15

DogMatix

pghjake wrote:

google drive is 5gb. i'm using it on waldorf through the fine insync daemon.  Instructions available here https://www.insynchq.com/linux

What did you enter for [DISTRIBUTION] and [CODENAME]? Was it Debian and Wheezy?

deb http://apt.insynchq.com/[DISTRIBUTION] [CODENAME] non-free

Also, what desktop environment are you using it with. I don't see Openbox listed as a compatible one?

There could be a nice little project for a developer there!

Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer. - William Burroughs

#19 2012-10-25 23:29:42

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ DISTRIBUTION would be debian if you are using #!.  Codename would be stable if you are using Statler, wheezy or testing (could be either) if you are using Waldorf, and sid if like me you are using sid

Edit - And of course reading through there is nothing for Xfce either.

I dev VSIDO

#20 2012-10-26 00:16:41

DogMatix

^ Thanks. That's basically what I'd thought.

Xfce support is a more glaring omission than Openbox, but, I guess these things will get rectified over time.

I'm  kind of in the same boat as the OP. I was (and still am), a dropbox user between Mac OSX and Linux. But, I got sucked into Ubuntu One on my Ubuntu desktop when Ubuntu One was released and now wish I could get to some of the files (easily) I have stored on there on my #! machine or my Mac. It seems to be a limitation of Ubuntu One I guess. I don't have such issues with Dropbox which works pretty much across the board. But GB for GB it works out more expensive than Ubuntu 1 and Google Docs if you require more than the free allowance.

I may install insync on my Ubuntu machine and see how it stacks up against the competition. My #! machine is staying Openbox for now.

Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer. - William Burroughs

#21 2012-10-26 00:21:54

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

The omission of Xfce is especially glaring considering it is the default DE of Debian.. 

Makes me wonder why Debian is even listed as supported...

I dev VSIDO

#22 2012-10-26 00:29:15

DogMatix

VastOne wrote:

The omission of Xfce is especially glaring considering it is the default DE of Debian.. 

Makes me wonder why Debian is even listed as supported...

Or maybe why Arch is a listed supported distro. as desktop environment or window manager is a matter of preference  by the user.

Are we missing something?

#23 2012-11-05 06:46:08

Palmer

BUMP
Just want to say that I found something better.
Google Play + Google Music Manager. Sync, more storage space and streamable from the browser/Android/whatever without paying, unlike U1. Sorry for those who strictly wanted U1 and found this topic by search or something.

Eventually I just sucked it up and re-ripped/downloaded my music and started using Google Play.
go to -> https://play.google.com/music/listen (sign in if you aren't already), click Upload Music at the top-right corner,  and then click Download Music Manager. For images I will stick to Dropbox.

Two sync services, yeah, but still better than dealing with Ubuntu One. It was starting to corrupt files on my hard drive (sometimes deleting them) and then corrupting them on the server by naming them like .01-songname-mp38934674 making the file useless. hmm

Anyways, just figured I would move on.

Last edited by Palmer (2012-11-05 06:46:23)

#24 2012-11-05 13:07:03

farinet
#! Junkie

DogMatix wrote:

^ Thanks. That's basically what I'd thought.

Xfce support is a more glaring omission than Openbox, but, I guess these things will get rectified over time.

I'm  kind of in the same boat as the OP. I was (and still am), a dropbox user between Mac OSX and Linux. But, I got sucked into Ubuntu One on my Ubuntu desktop when Ubuntu One was released and now wish I could get to some of the files (easily) I have stored on there on my #! machine or my Mac. It seems to be a limitation of Ubuntu One I guess. I don't have such issues with Dropbox which works pretty much across the board. But GB for GB it works out more expensive than Ubuntu 1 and Google Docs if you require more than the free allowance.

I may install insync on my Ubuntu machine and see how it stacks up against the competition. My #! machine is staying Openbox for now.

As a mac user with a g4 machine running wheezy + lxde, i don't think there are many other choices than ubuntuone for sharing and syncing around among more machines of different architecture. As for me, i'm essentially using ubuntuone space for syncing photos and to do that i find it's easier and cleaner than google apps. But anyway, that's about tastes . . . wink

The best instruction how to install ubuntuone to a debian machine i found here, especially answer 1

Cheers.

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2012-11-05 16:27:40

bozhkov
#! Junkie

Palmer wrote:

BUMP
Just want to say that I found something better.
Google Play + Google Music Manager. Sync, more storage space and streamable from the browser/Android/whatever without paying, unlike U1. Sorry for those who strictly wanted U1 and found this topic by search or something.

Eventually I just sucked it up and re-ripped/downloaded my music and started using Google Play.
go to -> https://play.google.com/music/listen (sign in if you aren't already), click Upload Music at the top-right corner,  and then click Download Music Manager. For images I will stick to Dropbox.

Two sync services, yeah, but still better than dealing with Ubuntu One. It was starting to corrupt files on my hard drive (sometimes deleting them) and then corrupting them on the server by naming them like .01-songname-mp38934674 making the file useless. hmm

Anyways, just figured I would move on.

It's a US-only solution, mate smile

Board footer