Hi sunfizz - you were one of the people I was thinking of who'd already worked on this kind of stuff. Any advice you might have will be appreciated.
Those functions - most of them are about sending messages to a logfile and the terminal, with extra bits like ***WARNING*** tacked on or whatever. Just to save me from typing out the same code multi times. That big install_dir function just does the same as rsync or something, but also makes a record of all the files changed, in the hope of being able to undo it all later if necessary.
I love the idea. Thank you, John. This will open new opportunities for users to share their spins - simply by providing a link to pastebin or forum code (applist/sysfiles). Big +1! Calls for a future sub-section
Last edited by machinebacon (2012-08-07 16:21:43)
Hi mb, thanks for the moral support!
It's still kind of messy at the moment, and extra bits of checking and logging keep getting added, but a lot of that is for bugfixing and the final version ought to be a bit simpler, at least from the end user's point of view.
@john: looks very good! i skimmed through the script and i noticed all the logging functions, indeed a script as you describe, 'rough draft' kinda thing. can't try it out right now but i might be getting a spare PC in the near future, which will then be open for experimentation, and i'll be sure to check out the script by then!
This is very high quality stuff.
Just did a new AMD64 wheezy install using the dual-arch netinstall image dated 8/4 and your script. I commented out the linux-image and linux-headers in the apps-to-install file since I had a shiny new 3.2.0-3-amd64 kernel. I had to change the libc6 to i386 rather than i686 as the i686 was not available. There are 3 versions of libboost-iostreams in the apps-to-install, but only 1.49.0 was available. With those changes the script ran through with no issues. Thanks so much!
Last edited by pghjake (2012-08-09 01:31:40)
@pghjake thanks for catching that!
My apps-to-install file was made by running 'apt-mark showmanual' on a freshly installed Waldorf, so of course it would have been an i686. I should mention somewhere that there's no support for AMD etc at the moment. In fact I'm a bit surprised it worked for you with only a couple of tweaks.
Going over the apps in that list is one little project ahead, but I want to try to make the resulting install as close as possible to the standard Waldorf.
Otherwise, atm the script seems to basically work, but it's still sort of fragile, easily upset by changes in the Debian repos etc, and things can get messed up if you run it twice in a row. Making it a bit more robust is the major aspect I'm thinking about right now.
You may want to consider adding your "recent files" and "places" scripts to the menu.xml file, since corenominal added them to the latest Waldorf spins. I put them in their own section above "Lock Screen" but you would probably like them near the top of the menu. :-)
Now both corenominal and Debian have just upgraded I'll have to go back, reinstall Waldorf, update the sysfiles and apps-to-install in the script to match, then test it out on the new Wheezy beta 1 netinstaller.
This could take a few days, especially as I'm just about to go off on a little summer holiday...
Meanwhile the script itself is due to get a couple of tweaks, to make it a bit safer if things get interrupted half-way through eg if the user presses Ctrl+C.
Maybe next week some time...
This is a really nice project johnraff. Keep up the great work
I think it's now reasonably safe to try out, if anyone feels like giving it a go. If you hit an issue you can exit the script, tweak something and run it a second (or third...) time with no harm done.
I've just used it to install Waldorf in a virtualbox machine and it seems OK, except that apt-xapian-index eats all the memory (removed it). Hoping that's a Wheezy issue that wil get fixed.
Anyway, eager to hear of any bugs you might find!
Just saw this, nice work johnraff
Have a whole bunch of Wheezy VMs at the moment for various things, am looking forward to testing this on a fresh netinstall.
Incidentally, i've created similar build scripts for custom Debian's, and have also used the same system where the build files were in a downloadable tar.gz.
A nice option is to add a switch where the person has the option to cp from a USB Pendrive as well as wget from a server. Useful for systems with unusual Nic (Non-Free) Firmware and therefore no internet access after the netinstall.
May try and find some free time to adapt this to 64bit as well.
Thanks for sharing.
Last edited by rich (2012-08-21 07:51:30)
Hmm, it wouldn't be too hard to come up with a 64bit version. If I get time I'll have a look
wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10808732/cb-barebones-netinstall.tar.gz tar -xpf cb-barebones-netinstall.tar.gz cd cb-barebones-netinstall ./install
Last edited by johnraff (2012-09-23 15:48:37)