SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-12 04:08:26

sqlpython
#! Die Hard

Sid Razor-Qt Mini Review

Mini review of Sid Razor-Qt
I am typing this on a Kool little programmer's editor.
It is the Razor-Qt JuffED....
Right now it is set to to Java mode and it keeps on turning on Pick Lists as I type for any word that fits into Java Syntax..
     So far it has also highlighted key words this and for..
         Notice the auto indent {
             just trying some curly brackets.. neat  }
Well enough of that..
  Siduction's Razor-Qt iso is loaded and fun.. You get the OpenBox WinManager and the Razor-Qt DeskManager working together. As well as the Debian apps Menu
#! fast load to the Desktop and then this QT widgeted Distro shows a mem use via htop of 173 mb.. not bad
My #!  is at 135 mb at Desktop.

You get something that Looks/operates similar to a LXDE.
You have a light small footprint install that also operates very well live.

Some notable Razor-Qt Tools which come installed are..
Panel
Desktop
Application launcher
Settings center
Sessions
Razor-Qt apps in this release:

Qasmixer
QasMixer is a desktop mixer application for ALSA's "Simple Mixer Interface" and offers features similar to alsamixer. It also features a system tray icon with basic mixer functionality.
qlipper
qlipper is a lightweight and cross-platform clipboard history applet.
qmmp
qmmp is a lightweight audio player based on Qt libraries and has a user interface similar to winamp or xmms.
qtfm
qtFM is a small, lightweight file manager for Linux desktops based on pure Qt and works great with minimal desktop environments like Openbox.
qterminal
qterminal is a light Qt-based multitab terminal emulator, based on the QTermWidget.
QupZilla
QupZilla is a lightweight multiplatform web browser written in Qt Framework and using its web rendering core QtWebKit.
Qxkb
Qxkb is a keyboard layout switcher.
Silicon Empire Burn
Copy and erase optical disks. Works on CDs, DVDs and BluRays. Shows all information of your Optical Discs and Devices before the process starts queuing overlapping processes. Mount/Unmount CD/DVD Images (.iso, .nrg, .bin, .mdf and .img files). Drag and drop support. Copy all or only a part of the optical disks.
screengrab-qt
is a program for taking screenshots and uploading to picture hosters.
juffed
Advanced text editor with syntax highlighting for many languages (Bash, Batch, C++, C#, CMake, CSS, D, Diff, HTML, IDL, Java, JavaScript, Lua, Makefile, Perl, Python, PHP, Ruby, SQL, XML). Supports sessions, search with regexps (including multiline regexps), charsets, code folding, line markers, block selections and other features.
nomacs
nomacs is an image viewer. Small, fast and able to handle the most common image formats including RAW images. Additionally it is possible to synchronize multiple viewers.
qutim
qutIM is a multiprotocol (ICQ, Jabber, Mail.Ru, IRC, VKontakte) instant messenger.

.. A good lite start...

As is with Siduction and Aptosid if your Wifi is not auto detected (most are) you must add the firmware to /lib/firmware and use the Famous Curses type Network configuration App CENI.. not for the beginner..but anyone who has set up a wifi per the Debian Wifi Wiki shouldn't have a problem.
Remember while firmware is not automatically available the Driver.ko is probably installed so...........as per my example as su (root)

su
 modprobe -r iwlwifi
 modprobe iwlwifi
 ifconfig wlan0 up
 Ceni

.. choose configure new Wlan0 and follow your nose..

and there is No Wifi indicator in the Panel so I

apt-get update
 apt-get install wicd

If you install WiCd remember Properties as it is notorious for not Listing the Wifi as wlan0.. also you may have to ADD the Wifi as a second interface in the app's GUI.. Not difficult..

Lastly, the filemanager QTfm does not auto mount Partitions nor Network connections
EDIT: I should have pointed out for those not accustomed to manual mounting of a volume. I mounted the partitions via the CLI and then picked them up on QTfm (a bit of a pain extra step)
I did notice that my partitions were detected and listed in /media as directories such as /media/disk1part5.
So I .....

su
mount /dev/sda5 /media/diskpart5

which allows QTfm to display the now mounted volume
.... in recent years we didn't bother with that ..
... Once set up you could place the info in /etc/fstab &  /etc/mtab

dpkg --get-selections | grep smb

reveals that the only default smb install is
libsmbclient

All in all a neat iso install and IMHO probably  the Best of the currently prepackaged Razor-Qt ISOs
http://razor-qt.org/install/live.php

Some Thumbnails
th_Sid-RazorQT-1.png

th_Sid-RazorQT-2.png

th_Sid-RazorQT3.png

th_Sid-Razor-qt-6-11-12screen.png

Last edited by sqlpython (2012-06-21 15:46:32)

OHCG #!, Jessie,, Siduction-13.1Slackware 14Bridge,, Sabayon 13.4,

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-06-12 11:52:10

Milozzy
#! Die Hard
Website

Re: Sid Razor-Qt Mini Review

Very interesting, thanks for the review sqlpython wink

#3 2012-06-12 12:15:05

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

WHy would you use the crappy wicd when ceni and wpasupplicant are there?

#4 2012-06-12 12:49:46

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

RazorQT is probably the first DE I've seen that doesn't come with it's own window manager, weird that.
I always thought that roadmap would be something like:

a) let's build a window manager and have people choose what they want around it. (standalone WM)
b) lets build a window manager and then pretty it up with other stuff. (DE ... and AwesomeWM)

but Razor-QT seem to have gone with option c here.

c) let's build something pretty..... hey wait, we forgot the window manager!!

Edit:
Maybe they're not the only one after all. LXDE also did something like that, I suppose.

Last edited by gutterslob (2012-06-12 12:52:50)

Point & Squirt

#5 2012-06-12 16:02:34

sqlpython
#! Die Hard

WHy would you use the crappy wicd when ceni and wpasupplicant are there?

... I didn't, I used CENI to make the Wifi hook up..
... I only installed WiCD because it immediately came to mind as a Panel app to indicate that the Wifi was connected..( I like the panel indicator smile  )...
.. I know that there are other panel indicators but by memory apt-get install wicd ..was easier to find...

#6 2012-06-12 16:05:35

sqlpython
#! Die Hard

Maybe they're not the only one after all. LXDE also did something like that, I suppose.

.. Yeah, the Razor launch was officially 2010 so it will probably mature to have more of it's own stuff.
Eventually, not relying on Xfce or LXDE stuff at all..
...... Also the theme is ehhh.. I would fix it up with more of dark theme #! (too happy, who is that happy) tongue

Last edited by sqlpython (2012-06-12 16:06:18)

#7 2012-06-12 17:57:04

Iranon
#! Junkie

Their approach makes some sense to me... after all, quite a few people use a DE with a non-native WM. Why do useless duplication if they're happy with Openbox (semi-official WM to go with it), which is about the safest base for DIY environments:
Does the things it does well, syntax lends itself to GUI tools but isn't too incomprehensible, seems to play well with most external tools.

Of course, the only reason to use a full DE lighter than KDE is because you can't configure FVWM tongue

LEGO won't be ready for the average user until it comes pre-assembled, in a single  unified look, and glued together so it doesn't come apart.

#8 2012-06-12 19:54:19

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

Iranon wrote:

is because you can't configure FVWM tongue

FVWM isn't a WM or DE. It is an OS wink

Point & Squirt

#9 2012-06-12 20:14:16

Iranon
#! Junkie

...lacking only a decent window manager? smile

LEGO won't be ready for the average user until it comes pre-assembled, in a single  unified look, and glued together so it doesn't come apart.

#10 2012-09-13 12:41:50

hochrappenkopf
#! CrunchBanger

A short question from a razor-newbie (got a long grey beard since the old days lol )

- is there a chance to apt-get install the Razor Desktop on Waldorf 64Bit?

"If you can dream it, you can do it!" [Walt Disney]

Board footer