SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#51 2012-05-02 10:25:14

rhowaldt
#!*$%:)

Re: Conky weather+moon scripts (Accuw/WUndergr/NWS/MoonGiant)

wow, we take in one refugee and his weather-scripts, and a whole slew of followers comes trailing after him! this is pretty great big_smile

Be excellent to each other!

#52 2012-05-02 18:31:15

42dorian
Banned

#! /usr/bin/perl

use 5.14.2;
use strict;
use warnings;
use diagnostics;
#add some modules
use LWP::Simple;
use XML::Simple;
#use Data::Dumper; #only for debugging

#declare variables
my @forecast_vars = qw/ day_of_week high low condition /;
my @current_vars = qw/ temp_f wind_condition humidity condition/;
our $count = 0;
our @args;

# get the data from super-secret google weather API and pass it variables:

foreach (@ARGV){
    push(@args,$_."+");
}
my $url = 'http://www.google.com/ig/api?weather='."@args";

my $data = XMLin(get $url);

foreach (@current_vars){

print $data->{weather}->{current_conditions}->{$_}->{data}."\n";

}
print "\n";
print "\n";

while ($count < 3){

foreach (@forecast_vars){

print $data->{weather}->{forecast_conditions}->[$count]->{$_}->{data}."\n";

}
    $count++;

print "\n";

}

#53 2012-05-02 18:37:49

gekken

Last edited by gekken (2012-05-02 18:41:06)

#54 2012-05-02 20:54:55

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

#55 2012-05-02 21:53:39

mrpeachy
20% cooler

#56 2012-05-02 22:20:50

42dorian
Banned

Last edited by 42dorian (2012-05-02 22:28:07)

#57 2012-05-02 22:35:10

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

The only "person" I discouraged was Google

#58 2012-05-02 22:53:20

42dorian
Banned

And you need English lessons, Sector11.  Perhaps you've assumed "It's not a challenge in any way" means it's not hard.  No, it also means I'M not CHALLENGING You.  Look at his response to me, he understood that.  I'm sorry, but I refuse to use dumbed down language for any of you.  If you notice his response to me, he laughed about it.  We were completely okay with eachother for all I knew.  No animosity what so ever.  Then you and mrpeachy come along and assume there was.

I said, and you can look for yourself, absolutely nothing about his work on his PERL Script.  I said absolutely nothing about HIM.  I said, in quite a bit of detail, that GOOGLE was a HEADACHE.  I did not say anything what so ever to discourage him from his PERL Scripting.

It's about as offensive as someone saying "I'm going to climb Mount Everest tomorrow!" and you respond with "Oooh... That's the Highest Mountain in the World!  Remember to bring your Oxygen!"  If you can genuinely find where I genuinely discouraged his Perl work, I'll eat my hat.  Of course, I know the difference between a Perl script and the Google Weather API.  I know one script from another, and I know where one thing is a headache and another is not.  And I am quite articulate in describing it all in a perfectly rational, clear English sentence structure.

Check again you two.  There was zero animosity between the two of us until you two invented it from nowhere.

#59 2012-05-02 23:01:33

mobilediesel
#! Member

I apologize for feeding the troll.

Last edited by mobilediesel (2012-05-03 00:24:21)

#60 2012-05-02 23:01:50

falldown
#! Samurai

#61 2012-05-02 23:17:51

TitanMech
Banned

@mobilediesel - things like that only fan the flames.

@Falldown - 42Dorian gave his opinion, and i dont think any real malice was intended but that was the way its been perceived by several people.

It would amaze you all how many times i say things, and people think im being rude. Being dyslexic its usually cause my puctuation is terrible, or the structure of what i say doesnt flow well, or seems abrubt, i dont think 42Dorian meant any real harm, if anything he sounded like he was trying to help gekken save time working on a problem which would be easier using another api.

you should all kiss and make up - so to speak smile

And not to tarnish the rest of this great thread a mod should come along and tidy up this mis-unserstanding.

#62 2012-05-02 23:23:44

42dorian
Banned

#63 2012-05-02 23:33:04

gekken

@42dorian

1) we're cool.

2)  I disagree with the "Google API is useless" (paraphrased), but I am a junior woodchuck when it comes to programming and will likely have to come to that conclusion on my own.

@sector11

thank you for your encouragement. I think I may actually create a "Learn Gekken how to Program for Great Good" thread.

@mrpeachy, TitanMech (as in battletech?), falldown

Thanks for being reasonable

@everyone

why can't we all just get along?!?!?! </pathos>

Last edited by gekken (2012-05-02 23:37:11)

#64 2012-05-02 23:35:03

TitanMech
Banned

Last edited by TitanMech (2012-05-02 23:35:36)

#65 2012-05-02 23:45:34

42dorian
Banned

#66 2012-05-02 23:47:42

mobilediesel
#! Member

I apologize for feeding the troll.

Last edited by mobilediesel (2012-05-03 00:23:50)

#67 2012-05-03 00:05:03

42dorian
Banned

VinDSL is not the extent of my knowledge mobilediesel.  You don't know me very well.

When kaivalagi first had problems with weather.com discontinuing the XOAP partnership program?  I started going on the search MYSELF.  I found dozens of scripts, not done by VinDSL or even touched by him, who attempted to do Conky Weather using the Google Weather API.

They all had the same problem with Google.  4 days of data is all you get, and there's not a thing you can do about it.  Want some data in those 4 days that isn't provided by Google?  Too Bad.  It's not there.  Go elsewhere.

I never said anything about it "Can't Be Done"... I said it was a Headache.  3 Days Forecast, plus Current Conditions.  That's all you get.  There's limited data on Sunrise and Sunset times, Moon Phases, and a whole slew of other things that we're all VERY used to getting.  And, having looked for a substitute for ConkyForecast, it was LITERALLY a Headache seeing only Google Weather API.  Then Teo's scripts showed up and I learned just how limited Google Weather API was compared to, well... EVERY OTHER WEATHER SERVICE!

I never, even ONCE told gekken NOT to code.  I never, even HINTED, that he should stop.  I told him, and you can read it, in or out of context all you wish, that GOOGLE is a HEADACHE and is LIMITED.  The rest?  The animosity I'm expressing right now?  Is pointed toward the REST of you who have injected all of this misunderstanding and patronisation of gekken into this thread.  All of this confrontation started with the people who came to this thread AFTER gekken and I had our little talk about Google.  You all heard a voice in your heads that wasn't mine, or even a voice I ever use.  You heard what you wanted to hear, and accused me of things that just did not happen.  At all.  As in, it's all in your heads.  gekken and I were just fine and never had the issues you thought we did.  Nor did I say the things you accuse me of.  Nor did gekken feel displaced.  Unless one of the rest of you managed to convince him I said something I didn't.  And, oh yeah, his next response proves that didn't happen.

So, go ahead.  Say whatever you wish about me.  I'd love to see your proof, because I can prove it's all in your heads.

#68 2012-05-03 00:14:34

TitanMech
Banned

This is just dragging on now, and in order to stay neutral i wont take sides.

Your both probably great chaps most of the time, so this doesnt sound nice from me but the worst part is neither of you realise how selfish your being by continuing this, and in effect hi-jacking Teo's thread and putting others off asking questions about the scripts.

If you want to discuss who is right and who is wrong, please do via pm.

The reason for Teo coming here was because the arch forums are full of 'unfriendly' people, and all that seems to be happening here is certain people behaving similar to them, and thats not good.

Last edited by TitanMech (2012-05-03 00:15:00)

#69 2012-05-03 00:29:51

greyproc
#! Member
Website

Complete n00b question, but how does using a script like this with conky compare to the 'indicator weather widget' (or whatever) from Xubuntu? I had just a forecast icon with temperature (so, obviously, I can see there's a LOT I was missing), but, at the cost of how much more bandwidth? Meaning, from what I'm understanding, this parses a downloaded page, every 3 seconds?  For those of us on slower connections, is there a more optimal way? Or is the page it's snagging pretty small? Does it matter which of the services I use (Accu versus wunderground, etc)?  Thanks!

#70 2012-05-03 00:31:38

42dorian
Banned

To clarify, I don't infer or imply ANYTHING.  Ever.  Half the reason I type so much is so that what I say is what I mean, and vice-versa.  This is the Internet.  There's no voice to judge implication or inference.  The only safe way to communicate is to do it long form, without any sort of message left between the lines.

Also, VinDSL is a friend.  Not an idol.  Unlike the rest of you, I actually get some of his crazy humour.  He, as a human being, I like.  Him, as a Coder, bugs the crap out of me.  Unlike the rest of you, or VinDSL himself in fact, I bothered to break down his code so that new users could learn everything they need to learn instead of babysitting them.  Instead of cluttering up a perfectly good thread with the same questions, I answered them and actually HELPED new users by centralising the answers to their most common questions.  I put New Users and their Frustrations first before the egos of others.  In the process, I actually took the time to LEARN from the scripts of others, and compiled what the REST of you know to at least some usable degree.  Given, this has taken me out of the bleeding edge of what's out there, and I can only keep so much at the forefront.  But, that's where the rest of you come in to correct what I know.

It may not be as patronising to new users as the rest of you would like it to be, and it might not follow the "Is there a problem?  Code around it!" mentality that so many of you love, but it does HELP people.  Like me or don't.  I don't care.  But I refuse to treat other users like they need their hands held every step of the way.

Now can we PLEASE get back to Teo's scripts?  Because having to defend myself for all these things I just haven't done is outright offensive.

#71 2012-05-03 00:35:44

falldown
#! Samurai

update_interval 1

#72 2012-05-03 00:35:52

42dorian
Banned

#73 2012-05-03 00:38:18

falldown
#! Samurai

Last edited by falldown (2012-05-03 00:41:07)

#74 2012-05-03 00:51:49

greyproc
#! Member
Website

Thanks for the responses; my ISP is rather nasty about bandwidth, so I've got to be selective about how I spend it; I was wondering if lowering the update interval was the optimal fix, or if there was a way of saying, "I don't care about these things; only download this thing I'm interested in."  Looks like interval setting it is. 

Of course, I could always look out my window, but there's never any fun in that! wink

Be excellent to each other!

#75 2012-05-03 00:59:07

falldown
#! Samurai

Board footer