SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-17 13:37:55

kiiroitori
#! CrunchBanger

Should I give midnight commander a try?

Hi Everyone,

I don't remember where the idea came from, but I thought I would try to use mc instead of PCmanfm. But then I thought that might just be a waste of time learning how to use it since I don't actually need something lighter or faster than pcmanfm.

So...can a "simple user" like me benefit from using mc rather than thunar or pcmanfm? I guess doing complex files operations are probably more easily done with mc or the plain command line than a GUI file manager but most of the time I just simply browse/copy/delete files. Would such operations be faster (in human time, not execution time) once accustomed to mc?

If there are #! users that made the shift from a GUI file manager to mc (or ranger or any other CLI file manager) and never went back, I'd love to hear why smile

I love #! more than my own kids. I told them and they sympathized.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-04-17 13:43:50

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

Re: Should I give midnight commander a try?

mc doesn't automount removable media like Thunar or PCmanFM. Other than that, it's a perfectly usable file manager.It's not that much faster, though. It won't hurt you to try.

#3 2012-04-17 14:11:35

rhowaldt
#!*$%:)

i love MC. get used to some of the shortcuts etc (F10 for quit, F8 for delete, etc) and you're good to go.

#4 2012-04-17 15:04:20

vic
#! by Default

Yeah why not? If you do  not like it, do not use it. And it is good to try new stuff sometimes, how should we  improve and learn if we did not? smile

Time to move on!#

#5 2012-04-17 15:36:46

mahatman2
#! Die Hard

I say go for it! Although I'm a ranger user myself, I got hooked on that one for the easy-as-pie keyboard shortcuts (like vim basically). And since I have a laptop (with just a trackpad), using a mouse is waay slower than using a  keyboard to do everything. So that's why I switched.

If you have a mouse, you might not need a CLI filemanager, but then again it wouldn't hurt! I agree with vicshrike - "why not?"

Punch all your friends.

#6 2012-04-17 17:48:49

Awebb
The Singularity

Try ranger, it's a CLI filemanager with vim bindings lol

I'm so meta, even this acronym

#7 2012-04-17 18:39:09

Iranon
#! Junkie

If you do all your work in X and you aren't missing any functionality in PCManFM, you probably don't have a compelling reason to change. File managers are a personal choice though, try a bunch if you have nothing better to do. I find PCManFM and SpaceFM most attractive for normal desktops... if they work.

LEGO won't be ready for the average user until it comes pre-assembled, in a single  unified look, and glued together so it doesn't come apart.

#8 2012-04-18 19:04:20

cross

I love Midnight Commander, it reminds me of the "old days" when I was using XTree Gold on DOS.

Other than that, I use the ftp link in one of the panels all the time to transfer files at home and work. Makes me happy.

#9 2012-04-18 20:17:32

kbmonkey
#! Die Hard
Website

MC is nice if you're into that kind of thing. I used it for a long while after thunar (which I kept around for auto-mounting). It can be a lot of setup, i.e. defining custom actions to unmount discs, and telling it what apps to open which file types. I learned a lot about the system just by using it, so it's good if your aim is to learn. Expect to get a little frustrated at times, while you learn it.

mahatman2 wrote:

I say go for it! Although I'm a ranger user myself, I got hooked on that one for the easy-as-pie keyboard shortcuts (like vim basically).

+another ranger user here. love it smile particularly the background copying and multiple views. oh and the `` shortcut wink

#10 2012-04-21 04:47:48

sunfizz98
Carbonated Orange Juice
Website

mc and ranger are my favorite file managers and probably the only managers I use nowadays.

#11 2012-04-22 08:35:32

kiiroitori
#! CrunchBanger

Thanks everyone for all the replies!

What I gather so far is that basically:

CLI file managers make your life easier if you don't have a mouse or have to use a mousepad due to the efficient keyboard shortcuts.
You can customize them more.
Background copying and multiple views are cool (ranger).

BUT
It can be a lot of setup/learning/frustration
No automount for removable media.
They are not particularly faster in execution.
Apart from the good points mentioned earlier there are no compelling reasons to change.

I am going to give ranger a try, I guess it will depend on if I get "hooked" or not. The thing is I don't know vim keybindings so the frustration at first may throw me back in the arms of pcmanfm.

In any case thanks again for the input folks!

I love #! more than my own kids. I told them and they sympathized.

#12 2012-04-22 11:30:32

rhowaldt
#!*$%:)

^ midnight commander can be operated with the mouse as well. it has menus etc which work with your mouse. and it is faster than GUI-filemanagers, but since all the stuff on your computer is probably pretty fast already you often won't notice it.

anyway, good luck! just use what works best for you.

#13 2012-04-22 22:22:08

kbmonkey
#! Die Hard
Website

^ Good point about using MC with the mouse.
+ Ranger has arrow keys navigation on top of the vi ones.

#14 2012-04-23 09:13:50

Awebb
The Singularity

It's Awebb's a jackass time again:

Go and try mc, it'll show you whether you should try mc, because the people here will tell you their own preferences, which might be the exact opposite of what you want.

Damn, I'm getting old, this wasn't even unfriendly. DOH!

I'm so meta, even this acronym

Board footer