SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-08 16:46:25

dkeg
#! Die Hard

Who we are outside of the forum

Not sure if this was ever a topic of discussion.  There are definitely quite a few persona's here that could be considered regulars at the very least.  I thought it may be interesting to shed some light on our lives away from this forum; job, family, hobbies, etc.  So here goes...

Family: married with kids and dogs.

Hobbies:  running, linux

Work:  Analyst

Misc:  I am about to wrap up school in the fall. Member of local LUG.

Last edited by dkeg (2014-05-24 16:14:23)

grill it | the rocky path may just be the best path

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-04-08 16:57:39

2ManyDogs
dv#!

Re: Who we are outside of the forum

Technical writer at a large software company, primarily on low-level operating system and app docs (docs for programmers, not end users).

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2014-05-18 13:47:13)

Be eggsalad to each other.

#3 2012-04-08 17:09:10

Eren
#! Die Hard

A master student studying finance and management, gonna write a thesis about renewable enegry biomass and it's sustainability and economic impacts. I'm not married hehehe tongue and for now, i dont think it's a good idea. Have no job, have no money, 28 years old, my family still take care of me because of my educational status. When I complete my thesis they probably kick my ass from home (I believe probably not tongue). I want to study phd but my economic status, I have work and there're no scholarship opportunity left for me.
have-phd-will-work-for-food.jpg

Using Linux and just Linux very long time. And a big, offensive open source advocate. Love women, 8-bit, ascii art, photography, extreme sports, and arcade games.

#4 2012-04-08 17:58:44

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Work: Journalist/newspaper editor since 1977 -- too young to retire from the crashing news industry -- now on the copy desk for the Santa Cruz Sentinel, and a partner in a consultancy called Redwood Digital Research that offers FOSS alternatives in the small business/home office setting (yes, that's two separate jobs).

Family: Wife, Kyoko, is a massage therapist; daughter, Mimi, is 14 and is a chiptune goddess (and an Ubuntu user).

Hobbies: Between working two jobs, I don't have many. I would consider promotional work for FOSS in general and my favorite distro -- CrunchBang -- in particular as an avocation moreso than a hobby. But I live at the foot of the Santa Cruz Mountains among the redwoods, so hiking the area's trails is a big activity. I am a huge baseball fan, and I live and die with the San Francisco Giants.

I've been a Linux user since 2006, when I was running for office (I was the Green Party candidate for Insurance Commissioner in California) and I was told that I could use FOSS programs and not have to spend money on proprietary software. I switched activist gears to become a FOSS advocate after the election, and founded the Lindependence Project in 2008 and formed the Felton LUG. I also was active in the Fedora Project for several years, serving in a couple of leadership roles.

That's about it. Oh, I hate to fly and travel mostly by car or train.

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#5 2012-04-08 18:02:53

erest

Im a senior in high schopl.  I work for my school district in I.T.  im going to college next year and plan on going into electrical engineering. Love electronics computers. Been using linux for the last two years and will never go back.

#6 2012-04-08 18:05:12

mynis01
#! Die Hard

Was a big party animal as an adolescent and into my mid twenties until I decided to get serious about my education and career. About to get my first AA in networking technology and LPIC/CCNA certifications as well as find employment somewhere where I don't have to operate a cash register by the end of the year. I plan to get a BA or BS in comp sci at some point in my life if it's feasible. I could have been doing this all ten years ago when I was 18, but you live and you learn. I sometimes fantasize about having a wife and kids and a white picket fence but combined with my aspirations to get a four year degree, it really might not be realistic. I love open source software and communities but there's also proprietary stuff out there that I adore.

#7 2012-04-08 18:15:37

p120d16y
#! Die Hard

I work for a pathology services company that offers histotech work, cytology, pathology, and hemeprep types of things; really quite a few different offerings. We also have our own laboratory, and I'm a level 1 admin for the place. There are only 4 of us total; DBA, IT manager, network admin, and myself who kinda does more of the tech aspect. Fix printers, fill toner orders, work on user problems like forgotten passwords, document logs and maintenance. I also have to travel out to most of the hospitals if problems arise with printing path reports and things.
Married, 2 young kids.

Been using Linux for approximately 6-8 years. First couple years didn't get me to use it as a desktop or regular OS. I started with hacking all my electronics and installing Linux kernels on them. iPod, Xbox, digital picture frames, etc.
Going for a bachelors of computer science, eventually embedded software engineering.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
---Thomas Jefferson ---

#8 2012-04-08 19:16:04

sunfizz98
Carbonated Orange Juice
Website

Punk rock, male nurse who likes to dabble in electronics, anime, and lots of DIY projects.

Linux user since Dec. 2010

#9 2012-04-08 19:23:23

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Professional dork ... Middle aged, but feel much older,  lol. Online marketer/advertiser and sometimes organized chit disturber of the highest quality. Mainly just posted to say Eren, that picture is friggin art dude. If a picture says a thousand words, think ya managed to say a couple million in that one.

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#10 2012-04-08 20:07:04

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

I am an PhD student at the faculty for Geography. Right now working in Germany. I have also a BA in Religion/Intercultural Studies. Working right now on a project about culture of development, it has to do with different aspects of development aid.

I am born in Serbia but raised in Spain if that is of interest.

My hobbies are culture and music.

I use Linux since 2008.

#11 2012-04-08 20:12:25

Eren
#! Die Hard

@CBizgreat!
That's true mate, nothing can explain the stituation of this days, science, education and where we are. I know the outcomes choosing the education path (phd etc) but I'll try my chance (still thinking btw). I'll do work for food, but I'll do science for human beings for free. big_smile

Last edited by Eren (2012-04-08 20:13:02)

#12 2012-04-08 20:25:08

falldown
#! Samurai

I will be 36 next month. I'm married with 4 children.
I am a Drug & Alcohol counselor for a reputable treatment center.

Hobbies: #! and art.

#13 2012-04-08 20:51:19

wuxmedia
wookiee madclaw
Website

well, i'm 33,  love computers, started with speccies went to amiga then to macs for several years, got a PC and windozed it for a few years, then got #! to ressurect an ol lappy last year.

married with two kids, Work in a Hemp processing factory. want to expand to do web dev stuff...

likes mucking around with old cars...getting stuff to work that didn't before.
getting to sound like an online dating submission big_smile

#14 2012-04-08 21:09:13

zalew
#! Junkie

Work in a Hemp processing factory. want to expand to do web dev stuff...

shit, dude, better expand to selling this stuff big_smile

#15 2012-04-08 21:24:49

rhowaldt
#!*$%:)

lcafiero wrote:

daughter, Mimi, is 14 and is a chiptune goddess (and an Ubuntu user).

i so love how i told you about the music being called 'chiptunes' and you actually remembered it so well and are now using the term yourself smile

black_ivan wrote:

I have also a BA in Religion/Intercultural Studies.

very cool, that. i've been wanting to get similar education. the reason for why not you'll read below.

male, 28 years old.

not very well educated in the traditional sense of the word. i believe my education would be college level in English. have no BAs or cool stuff like that. made some attempts but all failed due to various reasons, mainly because i just hate school.
however, am educated in the non-traditional sense of the word in that i have very broad interests (from food to medicine to politics to art to music to science to religion and more stuff i cannot remember right now). i am pretty big on self-education, and i read loads of stuff and am currently learning Math and more new things through KhanAcademy.

been working a pretty non-interesting job as a payroll administrator (wage tax administration, salary administration, whatever you call it exactly) for almost 5 years now.

been married for 7 years but the relationship broke on Christmas Eve 2011. still officially married but not living together anymore, nothing 'bad' happened, still good friends with her. however, this has brought about lots of changes in my current life, which is why i'm telling you all this.

we have 2 dogs, who i love to death (and am currently seeing during weekends while my wife gets them during the week, due to her irregular work-hours), no children.

never lived on my own, always with a woman, so i now need to learn all sorts of stuff myself. i try to get more into cooking, how food works, combines, tastes, whatever. anything to learn to love cooking and avoiding your typical bachelor-meals. trying to get a hold on personal finances. busy building my own personal life, in relation to nobody in particular. growing up, changing, maturing, and whatnot.

getting back into theater, helping a group of friends with their play, doing a little bit of directing and also handling all the music-stuff.
am really into music, very broad tastes in that once again, and make music myself too. play the guitar (acoustic) and the rest is digital music.
been having ideas/plans to get into woodworking. my first project would be a vinyl-storage box for my (ex-)wife.
i draw (just simple pen and paper), and write poetry and proze, in both Dutch and English. i also love to read.

my most controversial hobby/interest must be my love, respect and appreciation for psychedelic substances. i'll just clearly state here that i'll never encourage or discourage people to use them, but will always leave the decision to themselves. my only goal is to educate them from my own experience and the extensive reading i've done on the subject, so they can make a better decision for themselves. i think freedom in all things is the most important human right in existence, and freedom of choices pertaining to your own mind are, imho, one of the most oppressed rights when it comes to the use of these substances. i am not saying this to spark some discussion about this in this thread because it is not the place for that. i am very much aware of the controversial nature of the subject and do not wish to go into it too much for fear of endless debate. i do feel that i wouldn't be honest to not mention this here, as it is truly one of my biggest passions.

been using linux for little over a year now. #! is my first and probably always will be my main distro. been doing my best to be an active member of the community because i love and support the ideas and philosophies of freedom that the Linux-community represents. i love the people inside this little #! community especially, and the prevalent idea here that whoever has a problem should be getting the help they need. for that reason i am a very active forum member and since some months now also a moderator. i really feel like i have found a home in Linux and #! and its community in particular.

tl;dr: i am a treehugging hippie, but i do shower every morning. big_smile

#16 2012-04-08 21:41:23

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

rhowaldt wrote:

my most controversial hobby/interest must be my love, respect and appreciation for psychedelic substances.

My kind of man. Sorry to hear about the breakup, but try not to get yourself down, you're still young and there's plenty of time for love. These things fall have a good way to change your life for the better if you keep a positive attitude.

I'm 29, have what would now be an MA in English and German (I finished college before Bologna was instituted, so it was a four year course, Soviet style), single, with dog. Used to work as a journalist for years, fiddled around with translation related stuff (real time interpreting mostly), right now I'm a consultant for EU's pre-accession funds, but am considering giving it up for teaching. I'm in the very early stages of writing a six to ten volume SF saga, modeled mostly after Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen. By very early, I mean I'm in the process of outlining about 20 to 30 different races and a million years of the parallel world's history. Giving myself till 35 to publish the first volume.

Last edited by el_koraco (2012-04-08 21:41:39)

#17 2012-04-08 22:11:06

rhowaldt

el_koraco wrote:

Sorry to hear about the breakup, but try not to get yourself down, you're still young and there's plenty of time for love. These things fall have a good way to change your life for the better if you keep a positive attitude.

thanks man, appreciate it. i believe the same thing, and am striving for that constantly, no matter how difficult things can sometimes get. it is a challenge for sure, which is interesting enough smile

will check out that Book of the Fallen stuff you mentioned. sounds interesting. pretty impressive undertaking you've got with writing your own SF like that, and extensive as well. will you be writing in English? if so, i'd love to proofread stuff for you, when you get out of those very early stages.

#18 2012-04-08 22:13:09

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

In English, sure.

#19 2012-04-08 22:14:07

paolo
#! CrunchBanger

I'm a 43 years old watchmaker from Milano, Italy
I'm married from 4 years and half with the most beautiful amazing girl from China and my hobby now is to try to learn chinese wink

Using Linux from 2003 (Mandrake 9.1) and #! from 9.4.1 but sometimes I make distro hopping smile

I'm member of an association for social promotion called PCofficina, in wich we repair old pc/notebook, install Gnu/Linux (mostly *buntu/mint) and we give the machine to schools, free charity group and people without too much money.

I'm also a huge rock/metal fan big_smile

Laptop Dell Latitude D630 Intel Core 2 Duo T7100 2.0GHz - RAM 4 GB - HD 160 GB - 14.1” WXGA+ (1280 x 800)
excuse for my bad english ...
We are a nice, friendly community here and I hope we stay that way.

#20 2012-04-08 22:37:06

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

Though I forgot one thing, I am in a happy relation ship since 6 years with my girl friend, here at #!'s known as the cooking Señora/Frau Ivanova also from Spain. She studied and worked as translator for German/Spanish/Catalan/English. And now when she has luck she will find a new job in some kind of marketing where she will promote Spanish companies here. Of course she is here because of me. smile

Sorry to hear @Roald but I know what you mean that you were accustomed to not live alone.

#21 2012-04-08 22:42:36

2ManyDogs
dv#!

rhowaldt wrote:

the relationship broke on Christmas Eve 2011. still officially married but not living together anymore, nothing 'bad' happened, still good friends with her. however, this has brought about lots of changes in my current life, which is why i'm telling you all this.

Sorry to hear that -- I was married to my first wife for 15 years before she decided she didn't want ot be married anymore. I seriously thought I would be alone for the rest of my life, but seven years later I found the woman who is now my wife and if anything was "meant to be" it was this...

I also have a serious love for the psychedelics, but unfortunately my home country is not as accepting as some.

Thanks for sharing rhowaldt...

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2012-04-08 22:43:04)

#22 2012-04-08 22:59:24

hinto
#! Windbag

43 (Richard Petty's number) year old southerner from NC.  I've been a C/C++/java/Flex/VB/Perl/dhtml (and now C++ since everything is cyclical) developer at with software company in Cary, NC for 18 years.  (3 years before that a small robotics company).  I graduated with a Mathematics degree (BS 1990) from Wake Forest University.  Go Deacs.
-Hinto

"Sometimes I wish I hadn't taken the red pill" -Me

#23 2012-04-08 23:00:33

Eren
#! Die Hard

@rhowaldt What can I say mate, I'm really sorry. But life is full of surprises (which I don't believe tongue). In Eastern culture, we believe true love comes when you trow into the flame and burn. Then you alone know what love is. And everyone has his own way. smile

#24 2012-04-08 23:03:56

2ManyDogs
dv#!

el_koraco wrote:

... Giving myself till 35 to publish the first volume.

this might be the longest non-graphics-card-related post I have ever seen from you, and certainly more personal information than I have seen... thank you.

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2012-04-08 23:06:48)

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2012-04-08 23:17:20

rhowaldt

thanks to all of you for your kind words on the whole breakup-thing.

just wanted to say that i really enjoy reading all your posts here, getting to know you all a little better. so, keep 'em coming!

Board footer