SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-02 19:31:17

bobobex
The Better Half

E-petition to get UK government to switch to Linux

Hi all

This e-petition is only open to UK residents (I think!). We are trying to get enough signatures to progress a motion to get the UK government to switch to Linux from their dependency on Windows.

If you live in the UK, please would you consider adding your signature to the petition. Many thanks.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/32255

Politeness, Respect, Trust, Humility - forum etiquette I abide by!
twitter

#! forum moderator

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-04-02 19:40:19

cchhrriiss121212
#! Junkie

Re: E-petition to get UK government to switch to Linux

Done.
As a side note, I can't say I am happy with the recent government IT surveillance proposals:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17590363

#3 2012-04-02 19:46:57

Eren
#! Die Hard

Is my petition valid about my country? If it is, I'll sign right now, if not, sorry.

You must be a British citizen or normally live in the UK to create or sign e-petitions.
Address

Damn.

Last edited by Eren (2012-04-02 19:48:11)

#4 2012-04-02 20:00:03

damo
#! gimpbanger

The idea is good but the spell-checking is atrocious! I personally couldn't take seriously a petition with those errors, no matter how noble the principle - it doesn't give "linux" a very good image imo, and suggests a lack of forethought by the instigator

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#5 2012-04-03 18:38:33

p120d16y
#! Die Hard

Government officials don't have intelligence required to use Linux systems. big_smile

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
---Thomas Jefferson ---

#6 2012-04-04 06:56:49

simgin

I agree with damo , on this one. The spell checking, and there are some issues with the grammar as well. It does not make linux look good, I'm sorry, I'll have to pass on this one. But it's a good cause ofc.

Cheers

My motto :  To travel is to live!

#7 2012-04-28 22:54:41

madd_axeman

I will sign the petition but I hope it doesn't mean the government will end up handing over my income tax to Larry Ellison - I would rather they gave it to Bill Gates.

I suspect a campaign to move away from Microsoft products may be more likely to succeed at local governement level.  Our own council is currently carrying out a feasability study into exactly that.

If you can't explain it to your granny then you don't really understand it yourself.

#8 2012-05-14 02:55:37

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

^ Think is an excellent notion Bobobex ...

Though problem being the same people who own all the closed source, am fairly well sure own the Uk govt too. Same here in the states, point of fact ( imo and based upon entirely too much fact based historical study), happen to think the US, is still pretty much a colony of the powers in Europe. Might have it's own flag and some semblance of sovereignty. But when ya strip away all the patriotic crap, the same old powers that be really still own this country. Guessing own a good chunk of every country ...

Still noble idea, entirely too much common sense to strike a chord in any 1st world govt though. They aren't in the making sense bizness, they're in the making gazillions bizness. Oops ... been awake too long, too much reading, too much coffee again. tongue

As an add on ... How about some of us spread out dang it !?!??! Am a member of a couple other gnu/nix distro forums. Will shoot over and post your epetition link. Plus gives a good chance to promote #! a bit, while @ it. Ha ! Good cause, wrapped in a good cause. tongue

Ok ... done, that wasn't all that painful. (CB) n vll ! smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-05-14 03:22:30)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#9 2012-05-16 10:00:55

2Karl
#! CrunchBanger
Website

^ sudo apt-get install tinfoil-hat ?

"It's a pity she won't live... But then who does?" - Gaff.

#10 2012-05-20 21:23:11

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Sighs ... on second thought, may as well take the high road, shrugs. lol

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-05-20 21:29:29)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#11 2012-05-22 09:18:58

silince
#! CrunchBanger

I got a letter from Francis Maude outlining the coalitions policy to favour open source software.  Perhaps one thing that this government can actually be praised for, that and encouraging coding/programming in schools. 

*Goes to rinse out mouth*.

Debian Wheezy on VeryPC Low Energy Desktop | Elementary on Lenovo Thinkpad SL510 | #! on Lenovo Ideapad S205 | Raspbmc on Pi | Linux Mint 17 XFCE on Lenovo W530.

#12 2012-05-22 09:22:07

silince
#! CrunchBanger

(I wrote to my MP about this, which is why I got that response - I'm not mates with Francis Maude.  To make matters worse, my MP is Nick Clegg).

Debian Wheezy on VeryPC Low Energy Desktop | Elementary on Lenovo Thinkpad SL510 | #! on Lenovo Ideapad S205 | Raspbmc on Pi | Linux Mint 17 XFCE on Lenovo W530.

Board footer