SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-01 07:14:28

scket
#! CrunchBanger

Apple and patents are now getting really silly

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/04/01/apple_patent/

Apple drops 'thermonuclear' patent bombshell

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-04-01 07:20:52

AwesomeFist
#! Die Hard
Website

Re: Apple and patents are now getting really silly

The real irony in this: Apple stole their logo from a record company....

Hello, I go by Plio most internet places now, if you are seeing this it means that you are seeing one of my elusive "older internet accounts" (ooh, how exciting) Yeah...

My Tumblr (it's kind of dumb. Expect lots of webcomics, videogames, and anime)

#3 2012-04-01 07:30:04

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ Not the tiniest bit (the Apple Records logo is an unbitten green apple), although Apple Records tried to sue Apple Computers for making a computer with built-in music playing capability.

The patent article has a strong whiff of April Fools...

#4 2012-04-01 08:38:47

cJones
#! Junkie

Apple is nothing but a patent troll, but I really hope pvsage is right about the april fools thing here because that is ridiculous

d(o_O)b

#5 2012-04-01 12:39:16

zengrapefruit
#! Junkie

...is USPTO Patent #1,042,012, first...

Check the patent number!!!

smile

#6 2012-04-01 14:17:14

xor
#! Die Hard

@Apple: i have a patent on the bite ! tongue

#7 2012-04-01 14:32:09

dubois
The Old Codger

I like how apple told samsung they couldn't make their smartphone with rounded corners -- like apple did.  This make no sense at all as a smartphone with pointy corners really has no business being suddenly brought up to the eyes and ears of its users.  hmm  Just saying.  wink

#8 2012-04-06 06:05:14

p120d16y
#! Die Hard

This is a joke, but they do sue everyone. They also recently sued Samsung over making a case that was very similar to some smart case they made for the iPad I guess. All Steve Jobs did IMO was ride on the curtails of others anyway. Sure, he had innovation. But he took mouse functions from Xerox, and other things he saw and just transformed them in his own light.

He tried to stifle others from creating similar things, and I believe he got too much credit. All these stupid patent infringement issues lately are stifling the progression of tech as it is, Apple being one of THE largest offenders.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
---Thomas Jefferson ---

#9 2012-04-06 12:25:12

dubois
The Old Codger

Not having patent laws doesn't seem to have hurt Japan -- we, as a country, need to seriously consider doing away with them and cut the inventor a check from the profits just like everyone else.  Simplistic idea first thing in morning.

#10 2012-04-06 14:40:17

gensym
#! Junkie

p120d16y wrote:

This is a joke, but they do sue everyone. They also recently sued Samsung over making a case that was very similar to some smart case they made for the iPad I guess. All Steve Jobs did IMO was ride on the curtails of others anyway. Sure, he had innovation. But he took mouse functions from Xerox, and other things he saw and just transformed them in his own light.

He tried to stifle others from creating similar things, and I believe he got too much credit. All these stupid patent infringement issues lately are stifling the progression of tech as it is, Apple being one of THE largest offenders.

Everytime someone mentions the Xerox Parc machine (or its capabilities) in an Apple related subject, an angel gets his/her wings back ... at least that is how I heard these things work big_smile

Last edited by gensym (2012-04-06 14:44:48)

'Multiple exclamation marks,' he went on, shaking his head, 'are a sure sign of a diseased mind.', {Eric}

#11 2012-04-06 22:28:13

p120d16y
#! Die Hard

Do you mean it makes you happy to hear people know of Apple stealing from Xerox, or that it was menial what Apple did?

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
---Thomas Jefferson ---

#12 2012-04-06 22:37:28

simgin

Think it's the latter , mate wink

My motto :  To travel is to live!

#13 2012-04-06 22:56:19

p120d16y
#! Die Hard

The mouse was not invented at PARC, but by Douglas Engelbart in 1963, Apple's mouse was an improvement on PARC's version.

Anyway, when Apple brought on the lawsuit against M$ circa 90-94 they were suing for M$ using the same look and feel as a Macintosh. Xerox then tried to sue Apple for taking their mouse, but the judge declined it because they kinda allowed Apple to have it under certain conditions that engineers be allowed to buy pre IPO Apple stock.

Honestly though, my point is still that Steve Jobs stole it. I know it's menial, but he stole it. If someone puts a touch screen in their device he would sue over it. He feigns stealing as being counter productive to his company, yet without remorse he'll do the same thing. Now his legacy continues to do the same.

Like Dubois said, copyright and patenting is just overboard here. It's only hurting the industry.

Last edited by p120d16y (2012-04-06 22:58:21)

---Thomas Jefferson ---

#14 2012-04-07 00:50:05

disfarmer
#! Member

There was a pretty interesting episode of the public radio show, This American Life, awhile back concerning patents. Worth a listen:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-a … nts-attack

Also check out NPR's Planet Money podcast on the subject:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2011/08/ … patent-war

"Ten thousand people shouting the same thing makes it false--even if it happens to be true." - Søren Kierkegaard

#15 2012-04-07 09:00:11

gensym
#! Junkie

p120d16y wrote:

Do you mean it makes you happy to hear people know of Apple stealing from Xerox, or that it was menial what Apple did?

It just makes me happy seeing it mentioned in almost every apple related thread on  linux boards big_smile
Stealing is too harsh of a word btw. I would much rather say "heavily inspired by it".

'Multiple exclamation marks,' he went on, shaking his head, 'are a sure sign of a diseased mind.', {Eric}

#16 2012-04-07 09:40:50

Iranon
#! Junkie

Steve Jobs openly said that Apple has always been "shameless about stealing great ideas".
I don't have an issue with that. Apple deserves credit for bringing cool toys and new concepts to a wide user base that's not otherwise into technology.
I find their approach to the user experience confusing and needlessly complicated (lots of hidden details and layers of abstraction) but I'm nerdier than most computer users, it undoubtedly works for many. With their tight integration, attention to industrial design, projected message and draconian control, they can provide a smoother experience than most competitors.

I think the trollish lawsuits are embarrassing though. They don't really have to be that defensive either: copying good design well isn't that much easier than good original design, arguably harder because you're likely to copy details that don't make sense.
Example: iPods worked with minimal controls because they offloaded most of the administration to iTunes. Followers who copied the product but not the infrastructure were fiddlier than products that ignored the iPod.

LEGO won't be ready for the average user until it comes pre-assembled, in a single  unified look, and glued together so it doesn't come apart.

#17 2012-04-07 10:33:15

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

In steve jobs defense, the guy is kinda mildly under the weather atm, suffering from a mild case of death n whatnot. big_smile

Am just being a dork and throwing gas on the fire for no other reason, than to be a dork, shrugs. Didn't care if stevie lived or died when the guy was alive, actually w my general feelings on megacorps and all their craptasticness, prefer the guy exactly the way he is now. Ha ! Ya greedy craphead, all that $ and sleazy crap ya pulled didn't save ya ... now did it !?!?!? Couldn't take it w ya sleazebag !

Screw that, dang it ... I vote we dig him up and kill em again.  Just for good measure and on general principle ! Errrr ... on second thought, he's probably dead enough already. tongue

vll ! wink

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-04-07 10:42:13)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#18 2012-04-07 23:25:55

p120d16y
#! Die Hard

He was a professional with business models and selling new versions of the same thing continuously to consumers. Instead of buying one $400 iPod, over 4 years you buy a couple iPods to have the newest model.

I like Apple products, I would love a Macbook Air, they are just over priced and proprietary. I had the first iPhone and rooted it, ran SSH, and my own code on it and loved it; they're just expensive!

I don't have any vendettas against SJ is all I'm saying. He was what he was, a huge business mogul. I just wish they'd stop being the next Microsoft.

---Thomas Jefferson ---

#19 2012-08-27 17:14:26

cJones
#! Junkie

I think it was Friday but Apple just got over 1 billion dollars from Samsung on multiple patents.

This is all so ridiculous, Apple uses inferior hardware and overprices their products based on "style" and advertising and then when a company makes better products (in every aspect) for less money they get sued...

d(o_O)b

Board footer