SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-22 22:45:59

Andy_hc90

[SOLVED]ATI drivers and hybrid graphics.

This must be my biggest and most prohibitive problem.

I have an HP pavilion DV6 1115 E, it has an HM65 chipset( i think, will update if wrong) and I7 cpu and two graphics cards.
An integrated one and an ati 6770.

The problem is that the open source drivers overheats on idle and the system is generally very power consuming. Thats why i decided to install the AMD ones.

After installing the drivers, as per the instructions of a thread on here titled "howto install amd proprietary drivers" (something like that) I'd get upon booting the kernel an error, the error said screen not found or device not found.
basically I'd just download the driver, run it in terminal with elevated privilidges, follow the auto path, run ati initinal config then reboot.

How would I go about installing the drivers properly? Do both cards work simoultaneously? if so, is there a way to turn one off and switch between them?

My bios has no option of turning one off, it only has these two modes: Dynamic "Apps choose which one to use" and Fixed "High power on AC, low power on battery"

It's been a few weeks since i tried so I don't remember the error message exactly but I can retry and update the thread.

This GPU hypertrophy is my most major problem right now, I'd be really glad to find a way through it. It would be even bettern if i could somehow switch between the two.

Last edited by Andy_hc90 (2012-02-27 17:07:58)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-02-22 22:57:17

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

Re: [SOLVED]ATI drivers and hybrid graphics.

#3 2012-02-22 23:54:40

Andy_hc90

that sucks man, I really wanted to work in Linux.

Actually, in windows 7 I run some heavy duty games and it still doesnt overheat. While idle it's as if it isn't there.
But thats about all I like about windows 7.

bah
Who are the guys that make these open source drivers? I hope the hybrid graphics are somewhere on their todo list, otherwise I really regret getting a hybrid gfx laptop.

#4 2012-02-23 01:05:18

FiniteStateMachine
Part of the Machine

Actually, the ATI drivers should work now to control your hybrid graphics, as long as you have the very latest download from there site. I have them working for me, and there is a setting to switch  between intel and amd there. From what i can tell from how long my battery lasts and the temp report from sensors, it's properly turning the radeon off.

The trick for installing that was to download the drivers, and then get it to build a package for ubuntu ocelot. then install that package, and everything went nice. I'll see if i can dig up the exact guide I used, but I think it was in the Ubuntu docs.

If for some reason fglrx isn't working for you, then you need to use vga_switcheroo.

you need to have the open source 'radeon' drivers active (you can tell via lsmod command).

as long as radeon drivers are loaded and no fglrx drivers are present, vga_switcheroo will exist.

You can google vga_switcheroo radeon and find instructions, the basic principle being to echo "1" into the file which tells the system to turn off power to the card, and then manually unload the radeon module ( usually put in rc.local to automate it on startup).

You should be able to install lm-sensors and then use the command 'sensors' to see both cards listed. If you get -128 degrees for the radeon card's temperature, it's off.

If you go the fglrx route, I've found they combine the sensors, into 1, but generally if its < 50 degrees its just running integrated, if its more the discrete may be on.

#5 2012-02-23 01:12:07

Andy_hc90

Wow! those are great news.

I'll stand by for that guide. Thanks a lot.

#6 2012-02-23 02:44:11

Andy_hc90

Meanwhile, I tried the smxi method that El_koraco explained in his guide
switched to tty1
ran all the commands, drivers installed
chose restart desktop, got an error, thought aight this was expected.
I rebooted, this time i was forced into tty because of the error
reran smxi, re-installed.
tried restarting the desktop option, again error

The error is: error code 11 Segmentation error

Last edited by Andy_hc90 (2012-02-23 02:44:42)

#7 2012-02-23 07:20:59

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

How about rebooting?

#8 2012-02-23 13:08:09

Andy_hc90

Did that today,
run smxi, it uninstalled the previous amd driver, reinstalled (chose auto and not distribution specific)
at the end i got this error though, I didn't mention it the last time. It said: "error removing drm module"
I exited, rebooted, but still got the error 11 segementation

also I don't know if its worth mentioning but when I choose the ati card to install the driver for, it is recognised by fgsmxi as a 6740 with 256 mb vram, however in reality its a 6770 with 2 gigs. Not sure if that is important.

I tried installing it multiple times, both in liquorix 3.2.0.5 and the bpo kernel 3.2.0

Last edited by Andy_hc90 (2012-02-23 13:25:18)

#9 2012-02-26 13:49:59

Andy_hc90

A great day today,
It's solved. Basically I followed El_koraco's guide, only this time I completely reinstalled crunchbang (probably unecessary but I wanted to get rid of many things at once) then I ran SMXI, installed the graphics drivers for the INTEL card first (smxi script would give me 2 options during card selection)
I installed that driver twice. Then i procceeded with installing current fglrx on the second option, the AMD-ATI card.
I followed the auto- options.

I didn't have to install it twice. After the reboot everything seems to work alright. GPU has settled down, Amdcccle seems to work normally. Everythings ok.

Thank you El_koraco.

#10 2012-02-26 14:50:49

Andy_hc90

Last edited by Andy_hc90 (2012-02-26 15:30:01)

#11 2012-02-27 17:07:32

Andy_hc90

SOLVED

I had to run "sudo aticonfig --initial -f"
which found an unconfigured file, for some reason when I logged out it was deleted?

I now have a working ATI/INTEL hybrid driver big_smile

I'll send people from other forums to your post El_Koraco.

To anyone who might be having similar problems: First install the intel driver and reboot(did this part twice), then the AMD, when you are given the 2 cards to choose.

#12 2012-02-27 20:50:00

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

Good detective work.

Board footer