SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-06 23:13:53

saneks
#! Die Hard

Photoshop and Wine, which version?

Anyone has some good advice which version of Photoshop works best with WINE and crunchbang? I don't need the newest and the older ones are cheaper anyway.. I used 7.0 for a while, which does what it can and works really well, but it lacks a lot of features the newer version have.

and yes, I know this: http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=17

Last edited by saneks (2012-02-06 23:15:05)

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-02-07 00:36:41

Vansgo
#! Die Hard
Website

Re: Photoshop and Wine, which version?

Do you have an option to use Gimp with many of the same Photo Shop features, successfully used for production work as an alternative to $$Photo Shop?

#3 2012-02-07 01:04:52

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Vansgo makes a good point. If you don't need all the Photoshop bells and whistles, then I'd just forgo WINE and go with GIMP. I've used GIMP to process photos for newspaper use and it works pretty well in that regard. But if you have an overwheming reason to use Photoshop, then so be it.

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#4 2012-02-07 02:03:41

saneks
#! Die Hard

I have a reason not to use gimp, that's why I ask which PS works. and I don't want to discuss gimp vs PS now.

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

#5 2012-02-07 02:15:53

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Suit yourself, and I'm not starting the GIMP vs Photoshop debate. I can't help you with Wine because I don't use it. Someone else here probably can help you, so good luck.

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#6 2012-02-07 04:02:24

FiniteStateMachine
Part of the Machine

It seems to me that CS5 should work fine, going from the AppDB anyways.

I had CS2 working not very long ago. From what I understand, it's still the case of needing a working Windows install to copy the files from. However some people have reported getting "Photoshop Portable" (CS5) to work, others say there are problems installing.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I'll be attempting the install in a few days, I'll update if I get it working with CS5, otherwise CS2 really isn't that bad.

I'd just like to make a point on the Photoshop vs GIMP debate. GIMP's workflow is very different from Photoshop, and many of the tools have different names or are in different places. It's definitely lacking a lot of features I use anyways. But my main point is that the learning curve to go from Photoshop to GIMP is pretty darn high (I've tried to convert a few times now, even trying GIMPShop).

just call me...
~FSM~

#7 2012-02-08 05:02:01

shengchieh
#! Die Hard

In the long run, it is better to use native linux program instead of a window code with WINE.
If it is a one-time thing, photoshop may be quicker, but if all the time, think about converting
to a program that runs natively on linux.  Everytime you change distro or upgrade #!, you have
to hassle again with WINE photoshop (i.e., this question again).

You can see a lllllooooong list of native linux graphics programs at

http://shengchieh.50webs.com/tuxslinks.html
-> softwares
-> graphics

GIMP is an overkill for many tasks, but there are abundant of programs - one may fill your
need.

Also, for your question, consider asking the WINE/photoshop folks at

http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=17
-> release #

Just remember that #! is based on debian-stable.  So anything working fine on debian, should be
fine on #!.

Also a good reference page is

http://wiki.winehq.org/AdobePhotoshop

Sheng-Chieh

#8 2012-02-08 05:10:39

FiniteStateMachine
Part of the Machine

I suppose it depends on the situation shengchieh, but I would wager that most people who attempt to use Photoshop on Linux do so because it is the best tool for the job, and GIMP is not overkill, but actually lacking.

There seems to be a plethora of guides online to get it working, and it's a popular enough program that relying on it running in Wine is not such a bad thing.

just call me...
~FSM~

#9 2012-02-08 05:27:28

dkeg
#! Die Hard

I came across this article...today....as a matter of fact.  Thought it was pretty interesting, and relevant to this topic

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/6/277607 … ve-suite-6

grill it | the rocky path may just be the best path

Board footer