SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-20 18:36:01

chaanakya
#! Die Hard

PIPA was postponed!!!!! :) :) :)

For all of us in the US, today is a great day.  PIPA has been postponed so that it can be rewritten!!!!! smile smile smile

Check out Musik - an easy-to-use text-to-music converter!
Join SpiderOak using this link and get an extra 1 GB free: https://spideroak.com/download/referral … 660e787ff1

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-01-20 19:29:15

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

Re: PIPA was postponed!!!!! :) :) :)

It is also good for the rest of us as the US wants to control the whole world. wink

#3 2012-01-20 19:39:45

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

WARNING: THIS IS AN ESP babbling post from CBizgreat!, read no further.

Jmo .. and based on knowing more than a tad about the reality of american politics. Back to the drawing board isn't so much reason for celebration. The traitorous puppets in DC and all the other places traitorous puppets like to gather, will do just that ... go back to the drawing board. People often get other groups motivations confused too, all dy, everyday, 24/7/365. Such as Google, facebook ... that long list of people opposing the legislation for instance.

They really aren't concerned with making the web a better place for us/you out of kindness and goodwill towards humanity. Big reason google(others) were so ticked off, implementing the legislation as it was, would've cost them a shizzleton of $. At this very moment Google Inc and others buried deep within dept's of google inc are doing what Corp's always do. Figuring out how much it'll cost em to look out for #1, lol.

A flock of "lobbists" will descend to look out for Google n friends best interests, carrying with them a flock of "campaign contributions", which anyone with an iota of common sense should realize is politically correct bs speak for "bribes". big_smile

Hmmm on a funny note, lemme translate another word above from PC/BS speak to plain english.

Lobbist: Professional smoozer, brown noser. Hired on behalf of anyone with enough $, to disperse bribes to other concerned parties within govt.

Aka: Also see the term ... bagman in the CBizgreat!, PC/BS 2 actual English translation Dictionary.

Anyway pointless point am trying to make. There are many de ways to skin de cat, so wouldn't get too excited. Google n friends best interests + our/your best interests are doubtless completely different things, though may at times have parallels. Though on the positive side, if you have enough $, you too can buy a politician. If folks only had a mere idea of the reality and the grand irony of it all. In time ( and once enough cash has been thrown around ) all paying parties will receive their bought n paid for measure of justice, unfortunately almost invariably the best interests, the common good (and people) quickly get lost in translation and stepped on visciously as a matter of course.

So in point of fact, it is not a great dy, it's another dy and bizness per usual here in the grand ole US of A. Lol ...  then again, have heard it said any day you/we wake up is a great dy. So nm ... it is a great dy afterall ! big_smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-01-20 19:58:34)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#4 2012-01-20 21:19:00

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

ivanovnegro wrote:

It is also good for the rest of us as the US wants to control the whole world. wink

Exactly .. arrogant control. so damned frustrating...

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

I dev VSIDO

#5 2012-01-20 21:26:53

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

lol ... it is soooooooooo much worse than that VastOne. So very much worse than that. And while to be honest ... seems like the majority of the world hasn't yet caught onto things that have been painfully obvious to me for decades. Not being arrogant, being honest. lol

Nother tidbit whlle being all sarcastic and truthful though. Back 2 da drawing board with traitorous govt's and Corp's is like a stay of execution for a condemned person. You are most definitely still on the chopping block, only means there are still formalities to be taken care of before the axe falls ... lmao. It is a great dy though imo too, becuz I choose to consider it a great dy, no gestapo anywhere in da world can take that away from me. I will it to be a great dy dang it ! big_smile

PS, And now for some inspirational, easy listening music to make it an even greater dy too. Gotta do it, cuz this song is good and seems appro to this nonsense. An epic antheme for tortured non-conformists everywhere.
Good song. Plus Pink is friggin hawt, which helps make it a great dy.

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-01-20 23:04:06)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#6 2012-01-21 03:31:15

mynis01
#! Die Hard

ivanovnegro wrote:

There are of course, those of us who have lived in the US our entire lives and vehemently oppose our government's involvement in foreign affairs...we just don't have enough influence over our government to make it stop.

#7 2012-01-21 03:33:26

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ Exactly..  Well said.

In the 60's and 70's people stood up without fear..  That can no longer be done...

I dev VSIDO

#8 2012-01-21 03:35:23

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

^^ I know that, and to be honest, here in Europe there is no difference. wink

Last edited by ivanovnegro (2012-01-21 03:35:39)

#9 2012-01-21 03:38:11

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

VastOne wrote:

In the 60's and 70's people stood up without fear..  That can no longer be done...

I think it could but people became too comfortable in my opinion. In reality they still feel too good to change.

#10 2012-01-21 03:38:36

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^^Sir Ivan!!!  Congrats on the 2K post dude!!!

^ Nope. Unfortunately, there is real fear now in doing anything ... There is so much that can get you shut down and put away in the laws now empowering the political forces that rule.. and they can and do get away with anything.

I dev VSIDO

#11 2012-01-21 03:44:05

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

@SuperVast: Oh thanks my friend. Seems we have to congratulate for such jubilees. smile In fact, it is my first time on a forum to gain such an amount of posts. Seems I really love our forum here.

#12 2012-01-21 13:45:58

duderocks
#! CrunchBanger

If they want to prevent piracy, they should focus on making media more accessible in terms of price and ways to get them. Then again, the RIAA, MPAA and a lot of these companies are greedy scumbags anyway. mad

#13 2012-01-22 05:58:52

NewCityVegas
Resident Tech Reporter
Website

Rather than view stopping SOPA-PIPA as "just postponed", I prefer to celebrate the fact this resistance to internet censorship was so organized, effective and obviously powerful. It should be a lesson in tactics to help overcome more of the corrupt practices of corporate greed.

At this link, note that over 115,000 web sites participated (including a few of mine), 3 million emails generated, and 10 million signatures collected.

http://eforum.reviewjournal.com/lv/show … hp?t=58019

Last edited by NewCityVegas (2012-01-22 06:01:07)

============= You are the dreamer - and the dream =============

gooplusplus.com (goo++) --- compact web tools and 250+ internet radio stations

#14 2012-01-22 06:12:13

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

As little as a week ago, this looked like a done deal and a win for the bill(s) to pass.  I think the mobilization and as you stated, the organization stunned those same people and for once, democracy actually shined as the politicians listened to the voice of the people.

I hope this same format can produce similar results down the road...

I dev VSIDO

#15 2012-01-22 06:38:40

AwesomeFist
#! Die Hard
Website

@VastOne, (Not the post above)
I swear this kind of stuff sounds exactly like the stuff that you would read in a George Orwell book, and the sad thing it's real, I wonder what George Orwell would think if he was alive today.

Also guys I made a post on a other forum over piracy a bit earlier and instead of retyping it I feel I should quote it instead, piracy benefits many people, I just think it's a bit pointless to try and fight it. (Excuse the language, I was a bit mad at the time, now that I think about it reminds me about that "one thread")

Musicians profit from piracy, it's free advertising, just like uploading a lets play of a game is free advertising, but no we can't have that, because the damn government is now trying to shutdown that. Pirates actually are the ones that are willing to give money to good artists, they hear the songs, they like it and they go out and buy it. A lot of people realize that and have used that as a business model, you wouldn't believe how much money artists/authors/developers have made from putting their own songs/games/books for free on the Internet. (sounds weird, but it works)

There is also drm to consider, look, I will be willing to give some money to game/music/book/etc companies and buy their stuff if they would be willing to pull their own head out of their ass and learn that drm and other restrictions don't work.

Last edited by AwesomeFist (2012-01-22 06:48:27)

Hello, I go by Plio most internet places now, if you are seeing this it means that you are seeing one of my elusive "older internet accounts" (ooh, how exciting) Yeah...

My Tumblr (it's kind of dumb. Expect lots of webcomics, videogames, and anime)

#16 2012-01-22 06:43:09

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ He would most likely be thinking that no one could write anything as surreal as this! hmm

I dev VSIDO

#17 2012-01-22 06:54:22

pvsage
Internal Affairs

VastOne wrote:

As little as a week ago, this looked like a done deal and a win for the bill(s) to pass.  I think the mobilization and as you stated, the organization stunned those same people and for once, democracy actually shined as the politicians listened to the voice of the people.

I hope this same format can produce similar results down the road...

I'm not sure how effective this was.  The only two sites I visit regularly that were affected by the blackout were Wikipedia and Omploader.  (I understand The Pirate Bay also took down its English page, but I didn't happen to visit that site that day; besides, Google finds more stuff there than their own search engine.)  Google blacked out its logo, but didn't do anything that interferes with searches.

If I ever mention Wikipedia at work, most of the philistines there claim they've never even heard of it. neutral

EDIT:  Oh, and nobody at work was talking about SOPA/PIPA...only places I've heard them mentioned are here and on NPR...

Last edited by pvsage (2012-01-22 07:21:46)

#18 2012-01-22 07:04:27

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ I agree, nothing much I visited was affected..  But I do not think that blackouts was what made this effective.  It was more the amount of signatures gathered and presented that showed the strength in numbers.

In time we shall see.

I dev VSIDO

#19 2012-01-22 07:06:40

AwesomeFist
#! Die Hard
Website

VastOne wrote:

^ I agree, nothing much I visited was affected..  But I do not think that blackouts was what made this effective.  It was more the amount of signatures gathered and presented that showed the strength in numbers.

In time we shall see.

It was due to the blackouts that a lot of people found out about this and signed the petitions.

Hello, I go by Plio most internet places now, if you are seeing this it means that you are seeing one of my elusive "older internet accounts" (ooh, how exciting) Yeah...

My Tumblr (it's kind of dumb. Expect lots of webcomics, videogames, and anime)

#20 2012-01-22 07:08:34

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

True, the classic chicken before/because the egg argument.. I stand corrected

I dev VSIDO

#21 2012-01-22 07:37:29

NewCityVegas
Resident Tech Reporter
Website

I'm not sure how effective this was.  The only two sites I visit regularly that were affected by the blackout were Wikipedia and ...

OTOH non-techies were more likely to notice and get involved with a fairly broad range of major and minor sites.

http://lasvegasmixx.com/702/viewtopic.php?id=2548

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technol … otest.html

#22 2012-01-22 08:55:55

pvsage
Internal Affairs

NewCityVegas wrote:

non-techies

Wow.  Your corner of the US must be very tech-savvy for those sites to be considered non-techie.  I'm afraid around here the only site listed there that qualifies as "non-techie" is the Perez Hilton site.  As I said before, most people around here don't even know what a Wiki is. sad  And those are the people who put two members of the Bush family on Pennsylvania Ave.

#23 2012-01-22 09:10:20

NewCityVegas
Resident Tech Reporter
Website

pvsage wrote:
NewCityVegas wrote:

non-techies

Wow.  Your corner of the US must be very tech-savvy for those sites to be considered non-techie.

Really?

While tech sites were certainly prominent in the SOPA strike, I don't consider any of these to be aimed at techies: 

Wikipedia, Google, Craigslist, Firefox, WordPress (45,000 blogs participated), FunnyOrDie, Reddit, Moveon.org, Democratic Underground, Flickr, etc.

#24 2012-01-22 13:32:49

Throne777
#! CrunchBanger
Website

In related news, MegaUpload is now deaded.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/201 … for-movies

All we ever were, just zeroes and ones.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#25 2012-01-22 16:13:06

ShadeOfHades
#! Member

Anyone care to read my interpretation of the current events? If not, you can skip over this.....

Also, sorry if this is kind of long.......

First off; ever since there's been digital media, there's been piracy. Even right back to the introduction of tapes. If you had a vinyl and copied it onto tape for me, that's breaking copyright law. There's always going to be a way of doing this, no matter who makes what kind of "protection" for their music, someone out there will find a way to crack it. Even if it's not for illegal behavior, what about the people who have more than one portable media player? (I've got a phone and a DS).

Secondly, DRM is wrong!! Why? Because when you pay for music with drm, as soon as something about your system changes (or even if you buy a new PC), your music is unplayable. How many of you have switched Distros in the psat 2 years? Your drm isn't going to like that, is it? So you might as well not have it, to save you from buying something you've already paid for.

After this.......

The music industry is on the verge of death (film industry is not so far behind). On a quick note, the only reason the film industry isn't as far gone as the music industry is because the files for films are bigger. That's the only reason!!! (I'm sure you'll figure that out, but if need be, I'll elaborate).

Why is the music industry sinking? The most obvious answer would be piracy. Maybe that's what started it off, but it's not the whole story. They panicked. They shot out in spite in all directions, instead of evolving and trying to get with the times, they panicked and hightened prices and tried to tighten it's grip.

That's what they're doin' here. It's the music industry who's compiled this bill, they're the ones who are most bothered by piracy, and they're trying to tighten their grip on the whole internet. Copy/pasting a few lines of lyrics into your FaceBook status? That's piracy. They were proposing to take down the ENTIRE FaceBook website, if one single person did that.

Bugger, lost my train of thought.

NEXT!!.......

The key word that's bein' used here is "POSTPONED".  That's all it is. They're goin' to tweak this bill again, and go for another push.

From here, I think this article on a site is good enough reading:-

http://maddox.xmission.com/

Please be aware that though his language is forceful and VERY abstract. It's the point he's making!!

I'm certain I had more to say here, but I can't for the life of me remember what.

Alright, so now for reasons why the film industry is only doin' slightly better than the music industry.

1 ) Harder to find hosting. Simply because the file size. But with the advancement of technology, this is getting less and less of an issue.

2 ) Takes longer to download. Again, because the size of the file is so big (around a gig). Also, again, this is getting less and less of an issue as technology progresses.

3 ) DVDs are a lot newer a medium. Since CDs have been out longer, there's more (and better) ways to rip them.

I'm just goin' to cut this here, it's enough reasons. There was so much more I was goin' to say, but now I simply don't know what. I think my post here is long enough anyway.

If I make people laugh, that makes me pleasant, right?

What if I make people laugh about unpleasant things?

Board footer