SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-16 10:26:31

astarix

My scancode -> keycode -> keysym odyssey - still lost at sea

Last edited by astarix (2011-12-16 10:31:25)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2011-12-16 11:05:10

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

Re: My scancode -> keycode -> keysym odyssey - still lost at sea

Ugh, I think you over-thought this somewhat. As far as I can understand, the samsung-tools and samsung-other package remapped some of your keys to launch Samsung specific programs (like this Samsung Magic Doctor). Since you downloaded them from a Samsung forum, I those modules are not in the mainline kernel tree, which is why you're getting some confusion.

In general, the kernel should pick up on ACPI keys and handle them separately from X. As I see it, you don't have problems with those, right? Multimedia keys (XF86AudioPlay/Stop/Next/Whatever) are handled differently. That's because you can't know befiorehand which audio system and subsystem the user is gonna go with (OSS, ALSA, Pulse, JACK), so they're usually not mapped. The Gnome or KDE desktop environment on some distros does map them, but Debian is very generic.

Generally, you'd find the names of the keys with xev, and apply them directly to your window manager. In Openbox, it would be rc.xml, in other WMs there are other config files or their GUI representations. I don't see much of a point in mapping multimedia keys outside of X, because you're not very likely to use them. udev rules could probably be written though.

Your keymap selection shouldn't mattter, the keymap deals with letters and signs, not special keys. Remapping some keys, like have "K" spell "&" is done with xmonadp. I'm running this in my startup:

xmodmap -e "keysym 0x2b = 0x2f" &

Board footer