SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-08 18:15:49

ejames82

tried crunchbang again. nice job. especially the installer.

hi,

I first installed crunchbang about two and a half years ago and it was quite good.  my biggest complaint was that I felt (and still feel, but not as strongly) that accessing the package management should be possible by a keyboard shortcut by default. 

super job by the installer.  it's as good as any that I have ever used, and I have used many.  it was great then, and it still is now.

it shows that alot of effort was put into the installation of software after the installation (cb-welcome).  being able to push any key as new software is being installed, being prompted about new software and the explanation of that software was organized and delivered nicely.  I actually read all of it and installed just what I wanted and didn't install what I did not want.

it's always nice when the OS is fast too, by the way.

anyway I just wanted to give a little feedback and say I am going to try it again for a while and it's no surprise that crunchbang is one of the most popular distros.  deservedly so.  good job you guys.  smile

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2011-11-08 18:45:16

rhowaldt
#!*$%:)

Re: tried crunchbang again. nice job. especially the installer.

hi ejames82, and welcome the #!

ejames82 wrote:

accessing the package management should be possible by a keyboard shortcut by default.

you could set this up in Openbox rc.xml, but i think it is a nice idea to have it there by default. Super+S and Super+P don't do anything here so one of those could be used. but no idea how anyone else feels about this (esp. corenominal, since he's the developer)

#3 2011-11-08 19:36:30

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Welcome back to #! ejames82, glad to see you made it..

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

I dev VSIDO

#4 2011-11-08 21:30:23

ejames82

hello rhowaldt and VastOne,

in the interest of being fair, let me say that making the terminal a keyboard shortcut was a great move.

Super+S and Super+P don't do anything here
super+P is just begging to be used.  that is exactly what I was thinking two and a half years ago when I first tried crunchbang.  it's really not that big of a deal to me anymore, now that I am more skilled with linux in general (now I will install several programs at one time), but when you're a newbie and you're discovering the programs you need one at a time, that task of right-clicking and that little tiny menu entry searching for the way to install what you need among a list and asking yourself which one it is, if any.  everything else on that list belongs there.  I just feel in my opinion that accessing the package management deserves a keyboard shortcut.  nothing else.  it's evident that hard work continues to benefit crunchbang.

Welcome back to #! ejames82, glad to see you made it..
when it's a good OS, you always return.  smile

#5 2011-11-08 21:50:59

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

What rhowaldt was saying is that you can easily add that shortcut there yourself. Open up ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml and look for the keyboard shortcuts section of the file. Then create one by using another shortcut as template (I don't know the structure of the lay-out now)

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#6 2011-11-08 21:56:07

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

Welcome again, james

Yeah, Super-p would be the dmenu launcher in certain WMs, maybe it is intentionally left unused in #!...
I was quite surprise to find that Ctrl-Alt-q opens the menu.

Maybe one day in the future the cb-welcome script would ask if certain shortcuts want to be customized, on the other hand changing them manually isn't that hard.

Sweaty lads picking up the soap | I love the new "Ignore user" button

#7 2011-11-09 15:27:57

ejames82

Unia,

thanks for that info.

machinebacon,

Super-p would be the dmenu launcher in certain WMs, maybe it is intentionally left unused in #!...
maybe.

Ctrl-Alt-q opens the menu.
I like keyboard shortcuts, so maybe I am biased.

Maybe one day in the future the cb-welcome script would ask if certain shortcuts want to be customized
this would make a nice alternative.

thanks for the replies.

Board footer