SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-22 20:07:36

MartinRF
#! Junkie
Website

[Solved] rhythmbox and streaming radio

I have another Rhythmbox problem on Statler. It works fine for listening to files stored on my computer and for subscribing to podcasts. But listening to streaming 'radio' stations does not work. I had no problem with that on my old computer running CB 9.04. Now "Couldn't start playback. No URI handler implemented for "MMSH"." is all I get.

Any leads?

/Martin (Yes, I have searched Internet but not to great depth)

Last edited by MartinRF (2011-02-27 21:03:33)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2011-02-24 20:28:31

slowdriver
#! Member

Re: [Solved] rhythmbox and streaming radio

Hi Martin,
just in case you cannot get rhythmbox playing - Radiotray would be an alternative for listening to webradio. Tiny, easy, in the repositories - just install via apt or synaptic.
slowdriver

#3 2011-02-25 21:38:09

MartinRF
#! Junkie
Website

No, that didn't work either but Radiotray's error message is more helpful:
"Your GStreamer installation is missing a plug-in"
Now I only have to figure out what is missing.
(and Radiotray has nice, minimalistic way of doing its business)

/Martin

#4 2011-02-25 21:53:24

slowdriver
#! Member

yep, search for gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
-bad
-ugly
-base
that will probably do the trick.
Cheers!

#5 2011-02-27 21:03:03

MartinRF
#! Junkie
Website

I have already tried that and, no, that did not work (but read on).

I also down-loaded a plug-in for Rhythmbox (I don't recall its name) helping me to find missing codecs and it tells me I miss VMA support but it fails to find a suitable plug-in.

Sweeping the net with a little more energy than last time I found a number of forum threads dealing with this problem and several indications that VMA-support is missing in GStreamer. I also found a thread in a Fedora forum where one individual described a rather convoluted process for solving this. I did not try it out as it was quite late in th evening.

But when I test today streaming radio works just fine in both Rhythmbox and Radiotray and I don't know why since I tried a number of things the other day.

/Martin

#6 2011-02-28 01:06:40

gareim
#! CrunchBanger

MartinRF wrote:

I have already tried that and, no, that did not work (but read on).

I also down-loaded a plug-in for Rhythmbox (I don't recall its name) helping me to find missing codecs and it tells me I miss VMA support but it fails to find a suitable plug-in.

Sweeping the net with a little more energy than last time I found a number of forum threads dealing with this problem and several indications that VMA-support is missing in GStreamer. I also found a thread in a Fedora forum where one individual described a rather convoluted process for solving this. I did not try it out as it was quite late in th evening.

But when I test today streaming radio works just fine in both Rhythmbox and Radiotray and I don't know why since I tried a number of things the other day.

/Martin

Really? I tried out the gstreamer plugins like slowdriver suggested and RadioTray started to work for me. I had to restart RadioTray for it to start working though, and I liked the idea of it, but I couldn't figure out how to add the stations I liked.

#7 2011-02-28 05:34:07

slowdriver
#! Member

... but I couldn't figure out how to add the stations I liked.

Adding stations:
1 Start Radiotray, the icon will show up in your tray area
2 Right-mouse-click on it and a menu entry about stations appears
3 in that menue there is an adding-stations-button
4 enter the URL of your desired station

Some radio stations publish their webradio URL on their websites. But there are also several lists out there. I use http://www.webradioportal.nl
Here is an example of how an URL looks like:
http://www.wdr.de/wdrlive/media/wdr2.asx
BTW: same URLs work also in rhythmbox for me.
There are several formats, depending on the protocol and quality, This one streams with 64 kB/s. But Radiotray supports most popular playlist formats, including PLS, M3U, ASX, WAX, and WVX.
You may google for it, there is a lot of information e.g. on http://radiotray.sourceforge.net/.

Good luck.

Last edited by slowdriver (2011-02-28 06:06:44)

#8 2011-04-10 22:10:45

Mikey67156

-bad worked like a charm for me!  FYI I was installing the pandora rhythmbox plugin. 
Thanks!

If at first you don't succeed, maybe failure is more your style...

#9 2011-11-13 12:01:39

gojun077
Website

Not sure if I should post my Rhythmbox experience in this thread for "Help & Support (Stable)", so sorry in advance if I've misposted.

I recently upgraded from Rhythmbox stable 0.12.xx to 2.90.1 testing from the Wheezy repo's. When I tried to play my streaming Internet radio stations, nothing happened. Apparently in 2.90, you now have to enable a plugin to get streaming radio to work.

Open the  "Edit" tab, select "plugins." Check the box for FM Radio - support for FM radio broadcasting services, and  streaming radio should start working...

Cheers,
-Jun

#10 2013-06-18 16:01:00

harrykrishna

gojun077 wrote:

Not sure if I should post my Rhythmbox experience in this thread for "Help & Support (Stable)", so sorry in advance if I've misposted.

I recently upgraded from Rhythmbox stable 0.12.xx to 2.90.1 testing from the Wheezy repo's. When I tried to play my streaming Internet radio stations, nothing happened. Apparently in 2.90, you now have to enable a plugin to get streaming radio to work.

Open the  "Edit" tab, select "plugins." Check the box for FM Radio - support for FM radio broadcasting services, and  streaming radio should start working...

Cheers,
-Jun

tanks for the post.  i blew right through "plugins" when i went to ubuntu 12.04.  and i left kubuntu mostly because streaming radio kept dropping.

#11 2013-06-18 18:39:07

harrykrishna

um, it's better, but not fixed.  i do go for longer periods of time.

Board footer