SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-18 13:30:04

saneks
#! Die Hard

help: how to boot statler with a boot floppy

I tried to find information about this.. got an old toshiba laptop, 1,5ghz 256 mb ram, cd-rom broken. win XP installed. 10 year old battery still running for solid 3 hours. I used 9.04 live on it a while ago before the cd rom broke.

since I can't select booting from usb, so I figured out I could create a 3,5" floppy disk that instructs the computer to boot from usb.. any hint on how to archieve that? only found very old threads about that or for other distibutions only (pendrive linux e.g.)

sth. like this: http://www.slitaz.org/en/get/index.html#floppy

thanks alot.

edit: I'd think about a solution that would boot any linux distribution from a usb stick for computers without boot from usb option

Last edited by saneks (2011-01-18 13:38:16)

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2011-01-18 16:58:30

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: help: how to boot statler with a boot floppy

I was looking for this a while ago, but before finding the answer got a computer that could boot from usb and burn CDs...

But, agreed, a "generic" boot floppy that could tell the computer to boot from whatever was on the usb drive would be very nice.
Also, agreed, all the info seems to be rather old. I guess not so many people use floppies any more. sad

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#3 2013-10-25 15:56:59

blueled

Re: help: how to boot statler with a boot floppy

There is a nice boot manager that I have used quite a few times and works as a treat booting from a usb via a floppy when usb booting is not supported http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagers.html

Board footer