SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-17 19:00:40

SmashedGlass
#! CrunchBanger

[SOLVED]Workspace switching via keyboard question [XFCE]

I thought I had a problem though think I figured it out, but I'll go ahead and ask a question related anyhow.

On my Mint 9 Xfce install, I had noticed today that I was unable to switch spaces using CTL+ALT+pg left/right.
Was still able to from the panel and using CTL+F1/F2 etc, just not the "normal" method for me. Configs in the Window Manager->Keyboard still had CTL+ALT+pg set correctly but still no good.

Here's the thing I think I found: my panel is set vertically on the right side of the desktop; if I use CTL+ALT+up/down, I can switch. So am I correct in assuming the keyboard workspace switching is tied to how you have your panel setup? I'm used to switching workspaces Left to Right, not Upper to Lower, and this is the first time I've really used a 'vertical' panel in the three years I've used Linux.

Input/answers/sneers welcome.

Last edited by SmashedGlass (2011-01-17 22:23:37)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2011-01-17 19:43:18

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Workspace switching via keyboard question [XFCE]

Do you have a "switch workspace"-plugin on your panel? AFAIK, if the desktop are on top of each other there, they are on top of each other. If they're next to each other on the plugin, they're next to eachother.

Do you get what I'm trying to say here? (english isn't my first language so I can't get any further than that)

#3 2011-01-17 21:26:48

mynis01
#! Die Hard

Try using grandr to adjust the positions of the monitors. Sometimes I have better luck using xrandr via command line. If that doesn't work you could always just change the hotkeys in the keyboard settings with the xfce pannel. For example, set ctrl+alt+<-- to desktop up, and ctrl+alt+--> to desktop down. That is a very unique problem you're having, it seems for whatever reason your installation set the desktops to span vertically instead of horizontally.

#4 2011-01-17 22:23:11

SmashedGlass
#! CrunchBanger

Unia hit it on the head. I switched the columns under the panel switcher properties to '2 columns' and was able to change to CTL+ALT+pg L/R. But I didn't like the way it looked in the panel lol, so switched back to a single column. Just had to figure it out is all. Really need to start spending more time tinkering with the laptop again.

#5 2011-01-17 22:54:32

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

Glad I could be of help! smile

Board footer