SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2011-01-02 21:35:19

rstrcogburn
CrunchRanger
Website

Re: Google Chrome Stable

@anonymous

I know what you mean man.  Arch is addictive.  I still pine from it from time to time.  The only cure for it is H.A.L.T. from DHA.

Pack em in snow!

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#27 2011-01-02 21:43:41

AwesomeFist
#! Die Hard
Website

Am I the only one not happy with this update, I love my firefox... er... Iceweasel! But I like some of the other default software.

Last edited by AwesomeFist (2011-01-02 21:44:26)

Hello, I go by Plio most internet places now, if you are seeing this it means that you are seeing one of my elusive "older internet accounts" (ooh, how exciting) Yeah...

My Tumblr (it's kind of dumb. Expect lots of webcomics, videogames, and anime)

#28 2011-01-03 00:41:08

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@AwesomeFist:  You are not alone - I too likes my Iceweasel.  (That sounded wrong.  Or funny if said in the manner of a Pauly Shore character. tongue )  Maybe Iceweasel vs. Chrome can be a choice in cb-welcome?

#29 2011-01-03 02:30:52

AwesomeFist
#! Die Hard
Website

anonymous wrote:

I thought Arch already was the dark side big_smile

No it's not just the dark side, it's the dark, light, red, blue and freaking purple side all into one. It's your choice.

Last edited by AwesomeFist (2011-01-03 02:31:12)

Hello, I go by Plio most internet places now, if you are seeing this it means that you are seeing one of my elusive "older internet accounts" (ooh, how exciting) Yeah...

#30 2011-01-03 03:25:11

jpope
#! Junkie
Website

Gee, all these recent additions to Statler means fewer additions to /etc/apt/sources.list on a fresh install for me. big_smile

--
...old school #! user now mostly running Arch
jeremy.pope.rocks

#31 2011-01-03 05:22:35

AwesomeFist
#! Die Hard
Website

And I was also wondering why would proprietary software like google chrome be offered as a default in a Linux distribution, I mean if you really want to use something like it, why not use chromium? Just to add on to the chrome vs iceweasel argument.

Last edited by AwesomeFist (2011-01-03 05:24:33)

#32 2011-01-03 05:54:53

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

Is Chromium ever really stable enough to include in a distro? I'm using it, but run into problems sometimes that don't seem to effect the Google Chrome releases.

#33 2011-01-03 05:57:13

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Did you test using the same (or close to same) version for both?

Chromium is simply the open source non-branded version of Chrome.

#34 2011-01-03 06:17:06

vrkalak
#! Die Hard

AwesomeFist wrote:

And I was also wondering why would proprietary software like google chrome be offered as a default in a Linux distribution, I mean if you really want to use something like it, why not use chromium?

Google Chrome is Google’s open source browser project. Google Chrome is based on the existing rendering engine Webkit (Open Source App), and includes Google’s Gears project.

Registered Linux User: #497030
my DeviantART page
-- #!Crunchbang- Sid "Animal"  (Fluxbox) -- LMDE Fluxbox Edition -- Manjaro-Fluxbox --

#35 2011-01-03 06:17:17

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

anonymous wrote:

Did you test using the same (or close to same) version for both?

Chromium is simply the open source non-branded version of Chrome.

My question was mostly rhetorical smile but I've have had differences in font rendering, extensions working or not and the occasional oddball thing on versions of Chrome and Chromium that probably aren't the same exact version to each other but within a reasonable family range. I like Chromium so I use it, and while it's close, I'm pretty sure Google is making some changes and additions along the way before they release.

Last edited by chillicampari (2011-01-03 06:18:37)

#36 2011-01-03 06:24:08

rstrcogburn
CrunchRanger
Website

@pvsage what about iceapes?

@jpope word!

@anonymous,vrkalak,chillicampari I've had this growing suspicion that there was a little more to chrome than just being a snapshot of chromium with art drop-ins.  Who knows what's actually in that binary blob.  But, if we are willing to use the Gservices (maybe yall don't) hopefully they aren't doing anything more malicious with their browser than those.

Edit: ^ ah yah forgot to add, chrome has proprietary codecs as well, like on2vp6(flashvideo).  a big difference in chrome and chromium appears to be the inclusion of libraries within the install of chrome where as chromium needs all these extra libs/fonts/codecs.  I remember on my freebsd setup my chromium build was jankified in font rendering if dejavu sans wasn't installed, it'd do squares here and there in place of certain characters.

Last edited by rstrcogburn (2011-01-03 06:28:37)

Pack em in snow!

#37 2011-01-03 07:47:55

corenominal
WRONG
Website

AwesomeFist wrote:

And I was also wondering why would proprietary software like google chrome be offered as a default in a Linux distribution, I mean if you really want to use something like it, why not use chromium? Just to add on to the chrome vs iceweasel argument.

Anyone concerned about running proprietary software should probably not run CrunchBang. Besides from Chrome, CrunchBang already ships with other non-free software, including firmware drivers, Flash, multimedia codecs etc. I have always tried to be pragmatic about the defaults in CrunchBang and I always try to select the best tool for the job.

Also, I think it is excellent that Google are supporting/championing open source projects and I have no issues with using their version of Chromium. Plus, they even provide native packages, which I think shows their approach has been well thought out.

I think it is important to ship CrunchBang with a modern up-to-date web browser, but packaging Chromium for CrunchBang would be time consuming and problematic, so I am happy to outsource the job to Google. smile

Ex-developer of #! CrunchBang. Follow me on Twitter smile

#38 2011-01-03 08:02:51

rstrcogburn
CrunchRanger
Website

corenominal wrote:

so I am happy to outsource the job to Google. smile

+1

Pack em in snow!

#39 2011-01-03 09:08:00

omns
#! wanderer

corenominal wrote:

packaging Chromium for CrunchBang would be time consuming and problematic, so I am happy to outsource the job to Google. smile

That sounds like it will ameliorate the situation nicely wink

#40 2011-01-03 09:09:59

corenominal
WRONG
Website

omns wrote:
corenominal wrote:

packaging Chromium for CrunchBang would be time consuming and problematic, so I am happy to outsource the job to Google. smile

That sounds like it will ameliorate the situation nicely wink

It was you! lol

#41 2011-01-03 10:38:49

omns
#! wanderer

^ Guilty as charged smile

#42 2011-01-06 20:49:31

spurious

I'm delighted the google chrome has been replace the aging 3.5.9 Iceweasel, which is very outdated by this stage.

Now that Chrome has been replaced as the default browser in #! i suppose there is no way back for Iceweasel/Firefox.  I'm asking this because the new version of Iceweasel, the 4.0b8 is actually a huge improvement over the default old version that used to be included in crunchbang.

Now the only problem with chrome in my opinion is the usage and configuration of proxies in google chrome and crunchbang.  This required editing of config files and logging out and in again to enable them, which is cumbersome compared the firefox method, which is even faster when using something like foxyproxy.

#43 2011-01-06 21:11:56

anonymous
The Mystery Member

spurious wrote:

Now that Chrome has been replaced as the default browser in #! i suppose there is no way back for Iceweasel/Firefox.

Well you can still install Iceweasel on a new install (sudo apt-get install iceweasel) and if you're upgrading you won't get Google Chrome automatically. Or what was your question?

#44 2011-01-06 22:06:12

spurious

anonymous wrote:
spurious wrote:

Now that Chrome has been replaced as the default browser in #! i suppose there is no way back for Iceweasel/Firefox.

Well you can still install Iceweasel on a new install (sudo apt-get install iceweasel) and if you're upgrading you won't get Google Chrome automatically. Or what was your question?

No i was referring to the possibility of iceweasel becoming the default browser again.

Anyways, i use google chrome unstable and iceweasel 4.0b8 concurrently on my system.  Best of both worlds smile

#45 2011-01-07 00:51:09

pvsage
Internal Affairs

I gave Chrome a good shot today...spent a couple hours using it.  So far I don't hate it, but I wouldn't say I love it.  I still prefer Iceweasel, but that may just be because I'm used to it.  Iceweasel does render the free fonts (Sans, Serif, Monospace) much better than Chrome, which uses Microsoft fonts by default.  And if you use one of the blackout-type Stylish themes like Blackify, Chrome flashes briefly on page loads, whereas Iceweasel does not.

#46 2011-01-07 11:36:35

corenominal
WRONG
Website

pvsage wrote:

Iceweasel does render the free fonts (Sans, Serif, Monospace) much better than Chrome, which uses Microsoft fonts by default.

For the new Statler images, I preconfigured Chrome to use the free fonts. I much prefer them to the Microsoft alternatives.

#47 2011-01-07 14:39:56

#! CrunchBanger

spurious wrote:
anonymous wrote:
spurious wrote:

No i was referring to the possibility of iceweasel becoming the default browser again.

Anyways, i use google chrome unstable and iceweasel 4.0b8 concurrently on my system.  Best of both worlds smile

slightly off-topic but...how where you able to get iceweasel 4.0b8 up and running? i currently have iceweasel 4.0b7 from: deb http://mozilla.debian.net/packages/ ./, however the new beta 8 gives me dependency errors which so far i'm unable to solve.

my problem is similar to the one described here: http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermai … 08976.html

thanks for any help

#48 2011-01-07 16:07:03

spurious

#1936 wrote:
spurious wrote:
anonymous wrote:

slightly off-topic but...how where you able to get iceweasel 4.0b8 up and running? i currently have iceweasel 4.0b7 from: deb http://mozilla.debian.net/packages/ ./, however the new beta 8 gives me dependency errors which so far i'm unable to solve.

my problem is similar to the one described here: http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermai … 08976.html

thanks for any help

I installed the various unmet dependencies via downloading the debs from the ubuntu/debian unstable repositories and installing them via dpkg.  Not ideal i know, but it was the only way I could get the beta of Firefox/Iceweasel installed from repository.

I needed to install

-  libnss3-1d_3.12.9~beta2-1_i386.deb from the debian unstable repos.

-  libcairo2_1.10.0-1ubuntu5_i386.deb from the ubuntu natty repos
-  libpixman-1-0_0.18.4-1build1_i386 from debian unstable repos

I then proceeded to install xulrunner 2.0 and Iceweasel 4.0b8 from synaptic which installed without errors.

You might have different unmet dependencies on your system, but its just a matter of installing them a later deb package from a trusted repository

Last edited by spurious (2011-01-07 18:32:32)

#49 2011-01-07 18:15:13

omns
#! wanderer

#1936 wrote:

The method is talked about on the page. Apart from enabling the Mozilla repo you'll also need to add Debian experimental. I'd add experimental, update (reload) only (no upgrade or dist-upgrade), install the dependencies you need to get the beta running then immediately disable the experimental repo. I wouldn't recommend using Ubuntu's packages.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#50 2011-01-07 18:31:21

spurious

omns wrote:
#1936 wrote:

The method is talked about on the page. Apart from enabling the Mozilla repo you'll also need to add Debian experimental. I'd add experimental, update (reload) only (no upgrade or dist-upgrade), install the dependencies you need to get the beta running then immediately disable the experimental repo. I wouldn't recommend using Ubuntu's packages.

That still wouldnt work for me as i the packages in experimental still weren't new enough and left me with unmet dependencies hence i had to grab one from the natty repos.

Last edited by spurious (2011-01-07 18:33:10)

Board footer