SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-28 19:59:02

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

[Solved]Startup services.

I'd like to speed up my boot a little, so I installed rcconf to edit my startup services. I wonder which are safe to remove and which are not?

Here's my list:

Stayed:
alsa-utils
bootlogs
console-setup
dbus
fancontrol
fuse
gdm
hal
hdparm
kbd
keyboard-setup
lm-sensors
loadcpufreq
module-init-tools
network-manager
procps
rsyslog
sudo
udev
unattended-upgrades
virtualbox-ose
x11-common

Removed:
anacron
aumix
avahi-daemon
cpufrequtils
live-boot
live-config
mpd
openvpn
pppd-dns
rsync

Last edited by Unia (2010-12-29 16:44:05)

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2010-12-28 20:18:14

rabbitofdeath
#! Member
Website

Re: [Solved]Startup services.

Interesting topic- I like your obsessive attitude towards speed! However, I would think that sudo and cron should stay, but maybe loadcpufreq and cpufrequtils can go...

#3 2010-12-28 21:23:32

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

@Unia
Are you still going through the slow(ish) boot times you were talking about when you first joined here?
How fast/slow is your current boot, anyway? . Looking at your current list of services, I'd estimate somewhere around 15 - 19 seconds on a decent Core 2 Duo/Quad with a 7200rpm spinning hd.

Iirc, you have a Core i5, right? The desktop I have statler installed on is similar to yours, and I get around 15- 17 seconds with similar services running (grub2 to working desktop). Only difference between mine and yours is that I removed network manager (it's a desktop running a wired connection) and disabled avahi, live-config, live-boot, but I have nvidia-restricted drivers (which is supposed to slow down boot a touch) installed

Statler (or at least default Debian) already comes with cpu frequency scaling (via loadcpufreq), so I assume you installed  cpufrequtils manually? You don't really need to, I think.

As for the rest, I can't say for sure since you didn't say what you use your comp for. Do you have any cron jobs or apps that need cron? Do you require a VPN?  Are you running #! OB or Xfce (or both)? Also, do you have any restricted drivers installed (wireless or ATi graphics)?

Truth be told, I can see maybe 5 services you can disable, at the very least), but I doubt they'd even give you a second back in boot time.

Last edited by gutterslob (2010-12-28 21:29:18)

Point & Squirt

#4 2010-12-28 22:52:51

iann
#! Die Hard

pppd-dns isn't critical for most people
procps changes system parameters from your /etc/sysctl file and sysctl.d/ files, but you might not have any
rsync is a daemon for helping file copies between machines, many people don't use it
You might not need fuse, but some people do
Do you have a VPN?

These are all pretty fast at boot time anyway.

#5 2010-12-28 23:04:30

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

gutterslob wrote:

@Unia
Are you still going through the slow(ish) boot times you were talking about when you first joined here?
How fast/slow is your current boot, anyway? . Looking at your current list of services, I'd estimate somewhere around 15 - 19 seconds on a decent Core 2 Duo/Quad with a 7200rpm spinning hd.

Nope, I'm not. My boot time from Grub to GDM would be around 17 seconds I guess. I just like to have as least services running as possible.

gutterslob wrote:

Iirc, you have a Core i5, right? The desktop I have statler installed on is similar to yours, and I get around 15- 17 seconds with similar services running (grub2 to working desktop). Only difference between mine and yours is that I removed network manager (it's a desktop running a wired connection) and disabled avahi, live-config, live-boot, but I have nvidia-restricted drivers (which is supposed to slow down boot a touch) installed.

Statler (or at least default Debian) already comes with cpu frequency scaling (via loadcpufreq), so I assume you installed  cpufrequtils manually? You don't really need to, I think.

So you're saying I can remove cpufrequtils and still have scaling by default? Awesome!

gutterslob wrote:

As for the rest, I can't say for sure since you didn't say what you use your comp for. Do you have any cron jobs or apps that need cron? Do you require a VPN?  Are you running #! OB or Xfce (or both)? Also, do you have any restricted drivers installed (wireless or ATi graphics)?

Truth be told, I can see maybe 5 services you can disable, at the very least), but I doubt they'd even give you a second back in boot time.

I do not have any cron jobs, don't require VPN (AFAIK) and I do not have any restricted drivers installed.

iann wrote:

pppd-dns isn't critical for most people
procps changes system parameters from your /etc/sysctl file and sysctl.d/ files, but you might not have any
rsync is a daemon for helping file copies between machines, many people don't use it
You might not need fuse, but some people do
Do you have a VPN?

These are all pretty fast at boot time anyway.

I'll keep fuse and procps. Will remove pppd-dns, rsync, cron, anacron, vpn and cpufrequtils (after I confirmed I still have scaling without cpufrequtils)
I know this probably won't speed up my boot that much, but it's not what I'm after. As I said, I only want to run what's necessary and don't want to waste stuff (time, disk space and resources) on things I don't use. I'll remove the services now and will report back after I logon tomorrow. I'll update my first post as to what has been removed, what has stayed and what I'm still not sure about.

Thanks guys! smile

EDIT: PS. Gutterslob, I'm almost beating your post count cool

Last edited by Unia (2010-12-28 23:17:43)

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#6 2010-12-29 06:34:15

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

Unia wrote:

cpufrequtils (after I confirmed I still have scaling without cpufrequtils)

You can check via

cpufreq-info

or

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

If both reply with "ondemand", you should be good. You can also unplug your power cord (you're on a laptop, right) and check if it gives you "powersave".

Unia wrote:

I know this probably won't speed up my boot that much, but it's not what I'm after.

Aah, sorry. I just assumed you were when I read rabbitofdeath's comment on "your attitude towards speed". Either way, disabling what you don't need is good practice, in most cases.

Unuia wrote:

PS. Gutterslob, I'm almost beating your post count cool

Uhm... congrats.
What can I say ... I'm the shy type. tongue

Point & Squirt

#7 2010-12-29 10:41:27

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

gutterslob wrote:
Unia wrote:

cpufrequtils (after I confirmed I still have scaling without cpufrequtils)

You can check via

cpufreq-info

or

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

If both reply with "ondemand", you should be good. You can also unplug your power cord (you're on a laptop, right) and check if it gives you "powersave".

It's giving me powersave atm, so I guess I still have scaling after removing cpufrequtils from the startup services.

gutterslob wrote:
Unia wrote:

I know this probably won't speed up my boot that much, but it's not what I'm after.

Aah, sorry. I just assumed you were when I read rabbitofdeath's comment on "your attitude towards speed". Either way, disabling what you don't need is good practice, in most cases.

Coming from Arch, I still like "only use what you need" principle stuff.

gutterslob wrote:
Unia wrote:

PS. Gutterslob, I'm almost beating your post count cool

Uhm... congrats.
What can I say ... I'm the shy type. tongue

Shy, but friendly 'n helpful! smile

I'll update my first post now as to what has been removed, what has stayed and what I'm still unsure about.

#8 2010-12-29 10:42:32

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

Oh and my boottime has been lowered by one or two seconds wink

#9 2010-12-29 12:18:03

Awebb
The Singularity

Unia wrote:

Coming from Arch, I still like "only use what you need" principle stuff.

Yes. I only have these daemons running:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng dbus network @netfs @crond @alsa)

I also don't see why sudo and udev should be a "startup service" (whatever that is supposed to be).

Depending on your XOrg version, you should keep hal.

I'm so meta, even this acronym

#10 2010-12-29 15:56:26

iann
#! Die Hard

The udev startup service mounts the /dev "file system" properly and starts the udev daemon.  Most people will need that, although you can often get along without the daemon.  For that matter you can mostly get along without cron although some periodic tidying up won't get done.

I have no clue what the sudo startup script is for.  I don't have one.  Maybe something new in Statler.  If you type "more /etc/init.d/sudo" then they usually have a very quick summary of what they are for.

#11 2010-12-29 16:21:07

d2ogch3n
#! CrunchBanger

There's also a useful utility for managing startup services called sysv-rc-conf. It's in the repos and must be launched with sudo. It will allow disabling per runlevel or completely. A couple of caveats I noticed, if you uninstalled a program without 'purge' it's config files remain so the service may still be shown and sometimes you need to use the -P switch with sysv-rc-conf to remove old empty entries. Check the manpage for more.

I noticed you have removed anacron, isn't that responsible for log file rotation?

Lastly on the debian forums there's a thread discussing boot times and general responsiveness :-
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=31275

.signature

#12 2010-12-29 16:43:47

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

Doesn't sysv-rc-conf do the same as rcconf? And thanks for the link, it's an interesting concept to get as much out of your hardware as possible, but I'm happy with my current setup and 17s boottime smile

Guess I can add [Solved] then!

#13 2010-12-29 16:55:58

slapfish
#! Die Hard

I recently found bum (Bout Up Manager); it's light and provides some useful info for the services etc... I'm still using rcconf but with the infos of bum I could disable a few more services.

#14 2010-12-29 17:21:04

Awebb
The Singularity

What the fsck are services? I know daemons, I know modules and I know cronjobs, but I really want to know what you mean by "services".

I'm so meta, even this acronym

#15 2010-12-29 17:34:13

slapfish
#! Die Hard

Actually I meant all those things you mentioned...i.e. everything that shows on rcconf or bum.

#16 2010-12-29 17:55:13

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

^ What he says lol

I guess services is the Debian term for modules/daemons.
Slapfish, I'll have a look at bum!

#17 2010-12-29 23:57:52

Kuno
#! Die Hard

Unia wrote:

^ What he says lol

I guess services is the Debian term for modules/daemons.
Slapfish, I'll have a look at bum!

Service(s)  generally also seems to be the gnome term for modules/daemons. Installing 'gnome-system-tools' gives you a set of gui-tools like 'services-admin' (quite similar to bum), 'users-admin' (Edit Users & Groups), 'time-admin' (Set date & Time), 'shares-admin' (Edit Samba-Shares) and so on.

Then there is another python-prog called servicemanager, that lets you view, stop/start/restart services with one mouseclick. Download-Link: http://opensystems.ath.cx/gio/modules.p … tit&lid=17.
Comes in handy to restart cups or samba, if you haven't memorized the terminal commands... roll

Last edited by Kuno (2010-12-29 23:59:16)

#18 2011-07-04 23:27:54

tinyclave

I disabled some of these services using rcconf and got these following warnings. What do they mean?

update-rc.d: using dependency based boot sequencing
update-rc.d: warning: openvpn start runlevel arguments (none) do not match LSB Default-Start values (2 3 4 5)
update-rc.d: warning: openvpn stop runlevel arguments (0 1 2 3 4 5 6) do not match LSB Default-Stop values (0 1 6)
update-rc.d: warning: anacron start runlevel arguments (none) do not match LSB Default-Start values (2 3 4 5)
update-rc.d: warning: anacron stop runlevel arguments (0 1 2 3 4 5 6) do not match LSB Default-Stop values (0 1 6)
update-rc.d: warning: live-boot start runlevel arguments (none) do not match LSB Default-Start values (S)
update-rc.d: warning: live-boot stop runlevel arguments (0 1 2 3 4 5 6) do not match LSB Default-Stop values (0 

Board footer