SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-21 13:28:59

kiiroitori
#! CrunchBanger

[SOLVED]Networkmanager doesn't remember settings

Dear All,

I am having many issues with Statler at the moment, but that one might be an easy one to solve...well hopefully!

I am wired to my router and therefore I unticked the "enable wireless" box in the networkmanager applet. After rebooting the box is ticked again though (is this normal behaviour?) and, although not always, the applet searches for a wireless connection before succesfully connecting to the wired network (I have other internet issues after that but this is already in another thread! neutral).

Is there a way for me to force networkmanager NOT to look for wireless connections? This would connect me to the internet a good 5 seconds earlier, get rid of the annoyance of the error message and allow me to start my conky scripts with less delay!

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by kiiroitori (2010-12-23 22:38:24)

I love #! more than my own kids. I told them and they sympathized.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2010-12-21 14:32:01

yorick
#! Member

Re: [SOLVED]Networkmanager doesn't remember settings

When I uncheck the "enable wireless", it stays off for me. 

You can try to download a different network manager like "wicd," then change your autostart.sh file to use wicd instead of nm-applet.

#3 2010-12-21 14:43:39

kiiroitori
#! CrunchBanger

Thanks yorick but wicd doesn't support PPPoE so unfortunately it is not an option for me.

#4 2010-12-21 15:22:43

yorick
#! Member

kiiroitori wrote:

Thanks yorick but wicd doesn't support PPPoE so unfortunately it is not an option for me.

There should be a command you can enter into your autostart file to force nm-applet to not enable wireless, so that way you don't have the problem of the checkmark coming back on.  Unfortunately, after reading man pages, I haven't been able to figure out anything. 

If you haven't already thought of that option, maybe it can be a point for you to research.  Maybe somebody else will be able to chime in here shortly to help also.

By the way, I was assuming you are using Openbox.  Is that true, or are you on XFCE?  I'm not sure how much of a difference it might make.

#5 2010-12-21 15:23:48

Kuno
#! Die Hard

As root open  '/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf' with an editor and change

[ifupdown]
managed=false

to

[ifupdown]
managed=true

Maybe that helps !?

#6 2010-12-21 15:37:47

kiiroitori
#! CrunchBanger

yorick, yes I am using Openbox.

Kuno, I had already changed the ifupdown value (although I admit I am not sure of what it does) and that didn't solve the problem.

Thank you both for your replies anyway!

#7 2010-12-21 15:41:47

anonymous
The Mystery Member

What if you stop nm-applet from loading on startup then manually start it when you need to?

Just edit Openbox's autostart.sh and comment out the line for nm-applet.

#8 2010-12-21 15:52:56

yorick
#! Member

anonymous wrote:

What if you stop nm-applet from loading on startup then manually start it when you need to?

Just edit Openbox's autostart.sh and comment out the line for nm-applet.

Wow, such an easy solution. 

It is better than what would have been my next suggestion of trying to uninstall wireless tools, etc, via Synaptic.

I'm still learning a lot about Crunchbang, so trying to help troubleshoot things will hopefully help me learn more.

Last edited by yorick (2010-12-21 15:53:15)

#9 2010-12-21 23:02:07

kiiroitori
#! CrunchBanger

anonymous wrote:

I am not sure I understand. Doesn' t that mean that I will have to start the applet manually every time I want to connect to the internet?

#10 2010-12-21 23:05:21

anonymous
The Mystery Member

No. You would only need to start it if you want to use wireless. Your wired connection should work fine without the tray icon.

#11 2010-12-22 03:56:36

kiiroitori
#! CrunchBanger

I tried your suggestion (commented out the nm-applet line in autostart.sh) and I couldn't connect. Starting the applet afterward manually allowed me to connect though, so there is definetely something weird going on.
If I understand correctly, the nm-applet's function is just to provide a GUI to Networkmanager right? I can see the networkmanager deamon loading during boot up, although I haven't checked if it was running after logging in (will do that when I come back from work!).
Is there a configuration file for Networkmanager that I could edit to make my settings permanent?

#12 2010-12-22 13:05:38

yorick
#! Member

kiiroitori wrote:

I tried your suggestion (commented out the nm-applet line in autostart.sh) and I couldn't connect. Starting the applet afterward manually allowed me to connect though, so there is definetely something weird going on.
If I understand correctly, the nm-applet's function is just to provide a GUI to Networkmanager right? I can see the networkmanager deamon loading during boot up, although I haven't checked if it was running after logging in (will do that when I come back from work!).
Is there a configuration file for Networkmanager that I could edit to make my settings permanent?

Just to confirm, I tried Anonymous's suggestion and was able to connect wired without the applet. 

I wonder if it has something to do with the PPPoE deal.  Is that the technical term for DSL versus cable internet?

Hopefully the moderator, or someone else, might be able to help you here.  I've looked into it some more and can't find the options in any configuration file to disable wireless.

#13 2010-12-23 02:36:02

kiiroitori
#! CrunchBanger

yorick, thank you very much for your help!
I tried once more and got the same result. The networkmanager process is running alright but unless I start the applet I cannot connect neutral

#14 2010-12-23 02:43:05

jseiser

can you just blacklist your wireless module?  network manager will not see any wireless, so it should not attempt to connect.  You can also manually load the module in the event you needed to connect to the wifi.

Edit:

you can also edit the nm-system-settings.conf file and have it ignore specific devices on boot.  Their is a guide on the arch linux wiki, that can give you the gist of it, along with a sample script.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … ic_devices

Last edited by jseiser (2010-12-23 02:45:58)

#15 2010-12-23 22:31:31

kiiroitori
#! CrunchBanger

Ah-aaaaah! I found a solution! First of all thanks again to yorick, Kuno, anonymous and jseiser for helping me figuring this out! This is what I have done:

I killed nm-applet  and restarted it as root

killall nm-applet
sudo nm-applet

and realized none of my settings were there, so I just re-entered them.
I commented out the autostart.sh line for the applet as I don't need to connect via wireless anyway and after a reboot my internet was working right away, so problem solved!

This also solved my Some webpages not loading or very slow (mostly https) problem!
I am not sure exactly why entering the settings as root solved this, my linux knowledge is quite limited, but it is as if settings don't apply in n-applet/Networkmanager if you are not root.

Now I can enjoy a fully working internet and I can set my conky to start earlier in autostart.sh since I do not need to wait for the applet to figure out which metwork to use big_smile

#16 2010-12-24 00:54:55

yorick
#! Member

kiiroitori wrote:

Ah-aaaaah! I found a solution! First of all thanks again to yorick,

I'm glad you solved the problem.  Sorry I couldn't help more.

Board footer