SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-22 17:32:35

mcarni
#! CrunchBanger

[SOLVED] create my own forum --> need some pointers

guys,

i'm trying to create a forum for a friend of mine,
meaning that he asked me "could you (you being always speaking about linux...and linux being something geeky... and setting up a forum being a geeky thing) help me?",
and me being a silly boy I replied "yes, how hard could that be"

so I started looking around, downloaded phpBB and punBB, installation doesn't seem difficult but they both require a webhosting service capable of mysql etc...

unfortunately the webhosting service where my friend has his site doesn't meet the minimum requirements for hosting forums, so me (being the silly underestimating problem silly boy mentioned above) said "no problem, we can try to setup our own linux webserver"

i was thinking that puppy linux webserver would have been fine, i could have installed that on a usb key, installed the forums, played a bit with the layout, handed in everything to my friend and let him decide whether to go for a more professional webhosting service that could host his site plus his forum...

i can setup the puppy linux webserver, but i am struggling to install phpBB and punbb, when I follow the instructions and open in the web browser the install.php or index.php, instead of the installation page,  i see the code and so i cannot proceed with the installation.

the main difference between what said in the instruction and what i do, is that I don't FTP the phpBB/punBB folders to the server, but I have them on my puppy linux webserver, and I don't access the two files from my local machine through the internet but I am trying to access the php installation pages from the server directly.

probably I approached the whole problem from the wrong perspective, maybe i don't need to play with things bigger than me like webserver/mysql/php etc ...  wink maybe I sould try to do everything locally...

does anyone know if it is possible to play with forum layouts without installing a webserver?
could anyone point me in the right direction? (did some googling, but my terminology seems to be a bit out of aim... yesterday I ended up on wikipedia learning what openERP is...)

sorry for the long and convolute question

thanks

m

Last edited by mcarni (2010-11-23 19:39:52)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2010-11-22 18:37:15

rstrcogburn
CrunchRanger
Website

Re: [SOLVED] create my own forum --> need some pointers

you should use statler with cb-welcome to setup your webserver.. then drop whatever cms you want in /home/username/htdocs  and of course make mysql entries if needed.

Pack em in snow!

#3 2010-11-22 20:22:41

pitje
#! Junkie
Website

it looks like your webserver is not setup correctly... It doesn't "know" what to do with php pages, and just shows them as plain text. In most cases, this problem is solved by installing libapache2-mod-php5 and restarting your webserver, but since there are many ways to setup a webserver this will not guarantee success.

read this: http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html
It has a lot of info about setting up a webserver. You can set it up on your own machine (linux), but also on a windows PC (just google for wamp, or wampserver).

Last edited by pitje (2010-11-22 20:23:11)

oh yeah? well, your momma dresses you funny and you need a mouse to delete files

#4 2010-11-22 20:29:39

mcarni
#! CrunchBanger

thanks rstrcogburn, pitje,

making some progress here,

i tried again with a different puppy webserver, the one i tried yesterday had apache, the one i tried today has Hiawatha

and this time it works, some web page which i can access from my other computer, and i got to the installation of phpBB
i ran out of time, but i should have enough time  tomorrow to complete the installation

got some issue with the installation of punBB but i think it is complaining about mysql being too old....not too bad anyway, i guess i will stick to phpBB

as always guys, you are the best

thanks

M

#5 2010-11-22 20:31:10

omns
#! wanderer

If it was me I'd just look at a cheap hosting service like justhost and place your forums there. Site/forum creation and database management are a breeze with these types of webhosts.

#6 2010-11-22 21:04:07

safetycopy
urban legend

pitje wrote:

this problem is solved by installing libapache2-mod-php5 and restarting your webserver

Just to re-iterate this point, sometimes something seems to go a bit wonky with libapache2-mod-php5. It's usually installed along with the rest of your LAMP stack, but sometimes you have to remove it and re-install as follows:

sudo apt-get autoremove --purge libapache2-mod-php5
sudo apt-get install libapache2-mod-php5

I will shamelessly point you to my web development environment info on GitHub for further info :-)

i wonder if i missed the warning
Skinny Puppy, Love in Vein

#7 2010-11-23 19:43:02

mcarni
#! CrunchBanger

Thanks guys,

you all rock,

first attempt at playing with forum was a success, phpBB installed fine, and everything went smooth...
i will definitively read more carefully safetycopy web page, at the same time i mentioned webhost to my friend, seemd happy, seems at the moment he is paying more for less...

thanks

m

Board footer