SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-05 00:35:21

danielninja

[SOLVED]change default browser..where?

hey, i've already changed all the shortcuts for my browser. i'm using google chrome now.
but when i click on a link ( like in a pidgin conversation ) it opens with firefox..
how can i change this?

thanks for you time.

Last edited by danielninja (2010-02-05 14:20:17)

drs

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2010-02-05 01:17:02

Chives
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Re: [SOLVED]change default browser..where?

This is usually set in the browser itself.  I haven't used Google Chrome in a full year, but if I remember right, it's found in Tools>Options then somewhere in there it should have an option to "Make Google Chrome Your Default We Browser" or something like that.

I really am a nice person until you ask the police.
The first link is to a forum for a kick-ass MMORPG to be
The second is a blog for anyone with an opinion.
|The Hallow Life|DigiMantis|

#3 2010-02-05 04:38:46

ultralytenment

Re: [SOLVED]change default browser..where?

From the terminal: sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

That will work if you've installed a browser with apt (synaptic, gdebi, etc.). If you've downloaded a browser from mozilla, the latest firefox for instance, and wish to use it as your default browser, the above command does not work, as only browsers properly installed on your computer will be shown for you to select. You can circumvent that by issuing this command from the terminal: sudo ln -s /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser /path/to/your/browser.

Also, as Chives mentioned, you can set Google Chrome as the default browser from it's own settings, and this works flawlessly on Gnome or KDE, but there are instances outside of those environments where it's insufficient (some tray apps only use the x-www-browser link -- some mail checking apps, for example). In that case, the above suggestions are required. To make Chrome ALWAYS be the default browser in every situation required manually setting it from the terminal.

Last edited by ultralytenment (2010-02-05 04:40:32)

Board footer