SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-06 12:22:13

corenominal
WRONG
Website

The end.

I have decided to stop developing CrunchBang. This has not been an easy decision to make and I’ve been putting it off for months. It’s hard to let go of something you love.

When I first started working on CrunchBang, the Linux landscape was a very different place and whilst I honestly didn’t know if there was any value to it, I knew there was a place for CrunchBang on my own systems. As it turned out, there seemed to be quite a demand for it on other people’s systems too. I’m not entirely sure why this was the case, but if I had to guess, I would say that it was probably due to the lack of competition/alternatives of the same ilk. If I’m remembering correctly, at the time, there was no LXDE tasksel in Debian and certainly no Lubuntu around. CrunchBang filled a gap and that was nifty.

So, what’s changed?

For anyone who has been involved with Linux for the past ten years or so, I’m sure they’ll agree that things have moved on. Whilst some things have stayed exactly the same, others have changed beyond all recognition. It’s called progress, and for the most part, progress is a good thing. That said, when progress happens, some things get left behind, and for me, CrunchBang is something that I need to leave behind. I’m leaving it behind because I honestly believe that it no longer holds any value, and whilst I could hold on to it for sentimental reasons, I don’t believe that would be in the best interest of its users, who would benefit from using vanilla Debian.

Talking of its users, thank you, you’ve been awesome and you’ve taught me so much, much of which is beyond the scope of this post, but needless to say, I think I’m much wiser now than I was before the existence of CrunchBang and its community of users. I’ve made many friends through the project, which for me, has ultimately been the biggest benefit of the project, and something I’ll be forever grateful for.

I also want to take a few words to thank my wife, Becky, aka bobobex. She has supported me and the project from the outset. Over the years, I’m sure I’ve bored her almost to death with my geeky gobbledygook and she’s never moaned about it once, well, not to me at least. Seriously though, thank you Becky for your support, help and guidance, you’re my rock and I love you.

Regarding what will happen to the CrunchBang forums, they will remain online. Ultimately, they belong to the community and so it will be for the community to decide what happens to them. I’m happy to continue supporting them for as long as need be. I have already expressed my thanks to the forum moderators, privately, but I would like to do so publicly too. Unless you’ve been involved with a project like CrunchBang, I’m not sure you can entirely appreciate the behind-the-scenes work that goes into it. The forum moderators have effectively kept the community running and without them, I’m sure there would not have been a community at all. Over the years, they’ve had to deal with some truly bonkers and poisonous people (seriously, there are some bat-fucking-crazy nutters out there with far too much time on their hands) and they’ve done so with enormous tact, diplomacy and decorum. All the forum mods have my utmost respect, they are an incredible bunch of people.

As for me, while I’m deeply sad to let go of a project that in many ways has defined my existence for many years, but I’m also excited to see what happens next. I’ve got a few little pet projects I want to work on, and I’ve also got a day job that I want to excel at. It’s going to be interesting to see what the future brings.

See you around smile

Ex-developer of #! CrunchBang. Follow me on Twitter smile

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2015-02-06 12:35:32

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

Re: The end.

Sad news. But, NHF!

Good luck in whatever you are going to do next, and all the best to you and your family.  smile (although we have never met, and never have had any contact.)

EDIT: Although, I strongly disagree with:

I’m leaving it behind because I honestly believe that it no longer holds any value, and whilst I could hold on to it for sentimental reasons, I don’t believe that would be in the best interest of its users, who would benefit from using vanilla Debian.

I think there are plenty of user (myself included!), who would really benefit of having #! Janice ISO ready, instead of installing Debian (netinst) and configuring it ... Not only user would benefti, but I think the Linux itself would benefit.

I wish you reconsider your decision ... but, completely respect your final decision.

Again, have fun, together with your 'wif'.

Last edited by iMBeCil (2015-02-06 12:43:17)

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..
--> The very new BL forum! <--

#3 2015-02-06 13:02:11

skbierm
#! Member

Dear Corenominal,

thank you for keeping up that long running #!, thank you for all the hard work you did, and thank you for not closing this forum, now that you go on and do some other great things!

Have fun, doing, whatever comes to your head,

kind regards,

Sascha

Running #! on
* Lenovo ThinkPad Edge e420s, Intel Core i5-2430M, 8 GB Ram, 320 GB HD, 1366x768, Intel GMA HD 3000 + AMD Radeon HD 6630M 2GB
* ASUS F55A-091D, Intel Pentium B980, 4 GB Ram, 500 GB HD, Intel HD Graphics, 1366x768
* Panasonic ToughBook CF-19, Intel Core Duo U7500, 4 GB Ram, 500 GB HD, Intel GMA 950, 1024x768 Touchdisplay

#4 2015-02-06 13:22:29

Nili
#! Die Hard
Website

This news i did not like to read so early.

For me #crunchbang have been more than a system to use, the community and mod has made me feel like in my 2nd home.

What a pity! roll

However, wish you core fortunately luck in your life and your other projects.

Maybe give the keys to someone else to continue the work? tongue

Thanks for keeping the forum alive at least.

Kindly regards,
Nili

# Debian GNU/Linux 8:8.2 (netinst/stable)
# Packages Installed: 541
# Linux debian 3.16.0-4-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt11-1+deb8u4 (2015-09-19) i686 GNU/Linux
# Startup finished in 2.850s (kernel) + 6.473s (userspace) = 9.324s

#5 2015-02-06 13:30:46

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

Thank you for Crunchbang and thank you for the forums. Both have been a blast!

#6 2015-02-06 13:37:53

Milozzy
#! Die Hard
Website

A classy distro, a classy experience, a classy ending.

All by a classy man.

Thanks for all boss and good luck for all your future projects.

See ya!!!

#7 2015-02-06 13:38:26

damo
#! gimpbanger

Well some of us suspected this was coming, which doesn't make it any easier sad

Thanks Phillip, for enabling so much learning and pleasure for me for the last few years.

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#8 2015-02-06 13:43:35

parkerlreed

As others have stated: thank you! I probably wouldn't have switched over to mainly Linux if it wasn't for Crunchbang. It showed me that the Linux experience didn't have to be bloaty and that I had more freedom and control over what I wanted it to be.

#9 2015-02-06 13:43:46

ohyran
#! Member
Website

Thank you Corenominal and the entire team for this amazing experience that was Crunchbang. My first Linux love and an amazing distro. Sad to see you go though

>>>I draw pretty pictures for a living!<<<
>>>>>>>>>>>>#! Animal<<<<<<<<<<<<

#10 2015-02-06 13:48:19

saneks
#! Die Hard

this is sad news. THANK YOU for all you have created. still loving the distro ad the forum since I popped in in 2009. great that the forum will stay. apart from the distro being excellent, the forum and the community excels.

all the best to you and your family.

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

#11 2015-02-06 13:50:20

scket
#! CrunchBanger

A very sad day Corenominal, but I understand and respect your decision.

All the best for you and your family in the future, and hopefully we might bump into each other again at a future OggCamp.

All the best.

Craig

#12 2015-02-06 14:16:04

pvsage
Internal Affairs

It has been an honor serving as a moderator for this community, and I'm grateful that Philip is, at least for the near future, allowing the forum to remain open.  I'm sure everyone likes to know that they've had some kind of positive impact in other peoples' lives, and I flatter myself to believe that this forum gave me an opportunity to do just that.  I'm sure Philip was concerned about the reaction this news would elicit from the community, but so far I see nothing but love here.  This forum truly is the best thing that's ever come out of the internets.

Philip has mentioned that, since CrunchBang has been his project from the beginning, he would like to see the name separated from any derivative that succeeds it.  (Also, this is pretty much the only stipulation in the WTFPL, which Philip applied to the code he used in the CrunchBang configs and scripts.)  For anyone interested, I hope to be able to take some time this weekend to dig into the .deb files that make CrunchBang what it is and see if I can repackage them so they can all be installed in a vanilla Debian netinstall without any repositories other than Debian.  Need a new name for these; Sparkle Dancer will be the working title for now. angel  (No, that's not a G1 Flutter Pony; it's actually something from Star Trek: Phase II.)

Philip mentioned in the opening post that he believes we "would benefit from using vanilla Debian", so I shall endeavor to give the various DE builds of Jessie a shot in the next couple months.  Yes, CrunchBang fits my needs the way a well-worn pair of shoes fit my feet, but perhaps it's time to buy a new pair.

#13 2015-02-06 14:36:42

Ragnarok
#! Member

CrunchBang is the distribution that made me fall in love with Linux.

Thank you for everything you've done; I wish you the best in your future projects, work and life in general.

#14 2015-02-06 14:38:35

tawnypigeon

A sad day, but I have to agree with you.
I recently took the plunge to using Linux, and after trying many distros, Crunchbang was the one which did what I wanted, ran acceptably on all my devices, and never displayed any weird bugs, which appears to be quite a singular achievement in the world of small distros.
However when it came to install Linux on a new laptop, I realised that my best option was Sid configured very similarly to #!.
I think you're right in that Debian can cater for all us #!er's needs, and think maybe #! could live on as a simple script/tutorial/community for building a nifty lightweight desktop from Debian netinst, without needing its own installer or repository.

#15 2015-02-06 14:41:15

chameleon
UK #! Guy
Website

@corenominal
Thanks - I learned a lot!
The forums are an excellent resource to try and keep going.

All the best
Neil

#16 2015-02-06 14:51:29

intoCB
Scatweasel

At least you don't have to sell us all for scientific experiments smile

PS. Thank you very much. In a small but significant way, CrunchBang and its forums brought something special to my life and no doubt to the lives of many others, as the comments here testify. I don't know what the special sauce was but other Openbox + meta-distribution combinations never felt quite as well thought out, consistent or solid. Good luck for the future, I'm sure your other projects will be just as awesome.

Last edited by intoCB (2015-02-06 15:35:15)

#17 2015-02-06 14:52:52

kiiroitori
#! CrunchBanger

Thank you corenominal for all of your work. Ubuntu is the distro that made linux reachable for me but Crunchbang is the distro that made me love linux. I am sure your work has had a big impact in many people's computing life. I am not running Crunchbang anymore but I will keep lurking this place. Once again, thank you sir.

I love #! more than my own kids. I told them and they sympathized.

#18 2015-02-06 15:07:08

vic
#! by Default

A black friday for Linux this is!  sad  Thanks for everything, all the best! Time to move on!  smile

Time to move on!#

#19 2015-02-06 15:15:25

MekkaGodzilla

Hey Phil,
#! was my daily driver at work for a year in 2012 when arch, mint and xubuntu kept failing me.
Getting a great experience out of the box, and keeping it stable and predictable over time did have value for me.

Thank you very much, I learned a ton about getting a light setup together on my own as well, on debian then on arch.

Wish you the best in your future projects.

#20 2015-02-06 15:16:25

olegabrielz
#! Junkie

@corenominal: CrunchBang was the OS that tipped the scale and made me migrate permanently into the GNU/Linux world. And I am therefore extremely thankful smile

iMBeCil wrote:

I wish you reconsider your decision ... but, completely respect your final decision.

+1

I wish you and your family all the best smile
Ole Gabriel

#21 2015-02-06 15:19:10

benhee

Cheers mate & thanks

#!er till the end and beyond (?)

#22 2015-02-06 15:23:53

JWJones
#! Member

Thank you for your time and efforts, Philip. #! was a pretty cool model, which many others went on to copy.

#23 2015-02-06 15:27:47

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

pvsage wrote:

Philip has mentioned that, since CrunchBang has been his project from the beginning, he would like to see the name separated from any derivative that succeeds it.  (Also, this is pretty much the only stipulation in the WTFPL, which Philip applied to the code he used in the CrunchBang configs and scripts.)  For anyone interested, I hope to be able to take some time this weekend to dig into the .deb files that make CrunchBang what it is and see if I can repackage them so they can all be installed in a vanilla Debian netinstall without any repositories other than Debian.  Need a new name for these; Sparkle Dancer will be the working title for now. angel  (No, that's not a G1 Flutter Pony; it's actually something from Star Trek: Phase II.)

We shall call it CrashBam, Son of CrunchBang.  It will sport a completely black theme with black text over a black background and both the pound and exclamation mark will be inoperable, paying homage, or pouring a forty, if you will, for it's fallen homie.

#24 2015-02-06 15:30:55

Malice
#! Member

I'm saddened by this news. Unfortunately I disagree with you, that #! doesn't have anything to offer - it's still my distribution of choice, since it packs so much awesome in it. It's basically debian, set up with minimalistic environment. If I were to make my own installation, I'd surely make it look more or less like #!, but with Crunchbang existing, I don't have to.
Plus it's super easy to switch to Crunchbang unstable/testing, which makes it up-to-date great distro, that's swift, ellegant, and reliable.
This said, I understand the situation and want to thank you for your work. Crunchbang made me switch to linux, and if it wasn't for it, I would still use windows, which is crappy. Thanks for giving me this opportunity. I wish you good luck in whatever you do.

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2015-02-06 15:37:55

Hy
#! CrunchBanger

Well, i haven't posted on here in a long time but i can't let today go by without taking some time to thank 'The Boss' for #!.

Philip: Cheers for #!, it's the first GNU/Linux distro that i fell in love with, the first one that was really stable and ran well and ran consistently well through updates and my own mis-handling. #! was (is) a rock-solid, forgiving OS that never got in my way, and although i'm not using it any more, it is the yard-stick that i use to judge other distros with.

So, again, 'Thank you' for giving me a distro that demonstrated how well linux can work, and i wish you all the very best in your future endeavours.

TA!   big_smile

~ Wait - what? ~

Board footer