SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#776 2014-06-08 14:55:28

xpovos

Re: Why do you use #!Crunchbang

I have driven a long way for getting here...

I came to France as a student almost three years ago. I took a notebook knowing it couldn't handle new and shining OS's. W7 ran slowly but well for a while, it was OK.

Then, last year, my notebook began to run really, really slow. Being a student in a foreing country means little money for things like technology. So, I came to Linux for the second time of my life (the first time was centuries ago, with Mandriva, when XP was quite new). After a little survey with my friends, I met Mint. I tried Mate, but it was slow and ugly. Then tried XFCE. I felt in love with the possibilities of XFCE and the stability of Mint.

After three years at the university, I finally got my Licence, so I looked for a Master degree and found something involving language teaching and technology. So, I thought to buy a new computer. Fortunately, I got an "old" gamer's computer for free (NVIDIA video card, 4 cores processor, 4GB RAM) and could install something more exigent. I installed Ubuntu, but didn't love. Fedora, neither. OpenSUSE, negative. I think it was because neither Gnome 3 convince me nor Unity did. KDE is too W for my taste. XFCE is great, but I just wanted to change. Then, I discovered Elementary OS. It's like Mac, but a little different. I decided to keep it for my new desktop computer, even if customization is difficult.

For my little notebook, I thought to keep Mint with XFCE. But then I just got bored with the noise about Clem's distro. The -buntu distros just bored me. So I decided to look for a more advanced light distro with more customization possibilities and, important, Debian based (for recycling my previous learnings). That's when I found #! and felt in love with the flexibilit I was looking for.

A good thing of #! is the self-install of the Apache and MySQL servers. I think I could replace someday eOS with #! on my desktop computer.

Last edited by xpovos (2014-06-08 14:56:57)

χρόνος ουράνιδα
ὁ χρόνος ιδικός μου

#! and eOS

Be excellent to each other!

#777 2014-07-14 10:35:01

TheWyrm

Been working in IT nearly 10 years, Linux has always fascinated me but I never tried it other that a quick few shots of Ubuntu.
I decided to go ahead and dive in when I managed to snag a HP 2133 Mini-Note cheap from Ebay.

Then came the hell, I must have gone through 10 different OS's but none seemed to work properly or just didn't support my netbook well. Then took a chance and installed Crunchbang and OMG best choice I've made in ages it worked perfectly. I'm still getting to full grips with it but diving into its myriad of functions has only gotten me more and more interested and I'm learning so much about Linux in the process. I will never trust any Linux OS more than Crunchbang now smile

#! <3

Last edited by TheWyrm (2014-07-14 10:36:12)

HP 2133 Mini-Note Netbook: Thank you Crunchbang for giving me a new lease on life to be useful once again!

#778 2014-08-08 21:51:27

aldoiljazi
Website

It's quite simple for me. I wanted something Debian or Debian-based but minimal and beautiful. Well crunchbang was it. smile

#779 2014-08-09 10:20:10

rupio1979

wanted a light debian distro for an old laptop, never used linux in my life but debian was advised...
so after some searching I came to #!
and it feels like i'm home

#780 2014-09-28 09:11:35

dottornomade
Website

I stubled upon this distro while searching for a light (but efficient) one for my old, tired notebook. (This notebook was with me in 20+ countries I crossed in the last two years and I just did not want to trash it just because even Lubuntu started to be very slow.) Well, guess what? With CrunchBang it just raised from its grave and it's now as good as new! I'm not a Linux expert, by I found it quite easy to manage. Now we're ready for more travels!

Board footer