SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-06-15 02:29:13

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Re: Android Apps...meh

Different55 wrote:

As one example, people who write apps for a living rely heavily on smartphones. If smartphones suddenly disappeared, a lot of them would be in trouble. I think anyone whose livelihood or wellbeing would be significantly impacted by the sudden loss of cell phones could be said to rely heavily on them. I didn't intend to include anyone who just really likes twitter or email or whatever.

That is pretty obvious although I would add that any software developer also depends on users to buy or at least use said software. If only developers had smartphones, the market for smartphone apps would rather different.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#27 2014-06-15 08:58:27

Joe90
#! Junkie

Data Protection Act? (UK)

They can hold your data, but must look after it and not disclose it without your permission (the tricky bit!). You can ask to see what they hold on you as well, this will cost @ £10.

#28 2014-06-16 07:15:15

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

I'am surprised that it seems that Android (Especially the way apps are behaving) is actually legal in EU (well kids love it, the games part at most).

https://ec.europa.eu/digital-agenda/sit … vacy_2.pdf

Systems for the provision of electronic
communications networks and services should be
designed to limit the amount of personal data
necessary to a strict minimum. Any activities
related to the provision of the electronic
communications service that go beyond the
transmission of a communication and the billing
thereof should be based on aggregated, traffic
data that cannot be related to subscribers or
users. Where such activities cannot be based on
aggregated data, they should be considered as
value added services for which the consent of the
subscriber is required.

would that ^ go for any app?

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2014-06-16 07:24:02)

#29 2014-06-16 13:54:08

Different55
#! CrunchBanger

When they show you a list of permissions, and you have the choice to install the app or not, wouldn't that count as consent?

Sorry about that. I accidentally posted my password in IRC and I had the same password set here so they changed my signature.

#30 2014-06-16 15:01:04

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

you have the choice to install the app or not, wouldn't that count as consent?

no, since there is no way to install app without any permission selections (its pure yes/no), so in best case is blackmail.

#31 2014-06-16 15:06:52

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

brontosaurusrex wrote:

no, since there is no way to install app without any permission selections (its pure yes/no), so in best case is blackmail.

This is when you know it's time to unsubscribe from a thread.

#32 2014-06-16 15:38:34

xor
#! Die Hard

...and >THAT< exactly is why i've never switched to a "smartphone" at all -- and never will !

still got my lovely small "dumbphone" (samsung SGH C270) in silver and black,
it looks a bit like the communicator from the early star trek series.
never had any issues with it, the battery lasts quite long.
it was cheap anyway so no one wants to steal it.

got an old android (2.3) tablet though (WiFi only), but i don't do anything important on it.
especially no online banking, not even ebay or amazon business and the like.
and i have never logged in to google because i simply don't need that.
i am happy with the basic apps. it's just for surfing when sitting on the couch.

verdict: be smart and use a dumbphone ! wink

EDIT:

> Call me old-fashioned or paranoid, but I value my privacy much more than the convenience of a smartphone.

+1
same here, for same reasons. now call me paranoid, too ! big_smile

Last edited by xor (2014-06-16 15:43:42)

#33 2014-06-17 02:14:20

coffee_guy

Have you thought about buying a palm phone or old windows phone?  They can do features of a smart phone but you know, the calculator doesn't need to read your address book.  Also, you could just keep your smart phone with it browser and email and whatnot and just not use any apps.  I don't know.  Just throwing it out there.

#34 2014-06-17 03:15:04

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

brontosaurusrex wrote:

+1 ... my sentiments exactly.

#35 2014-06-17 03:16:43

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

coffee_guy wrote:

Have you thought about buying a palm phone or old windows phone?  They can do features of a smart phone but you know, the calculator doesn't need to read your address book.  Also, you could just keep your smart phone with it browser and email and whatnot and just not use any apps.  I don't know.  Just throwing it out there.

I bought a feature phone over the weekend.  It's a model update of the phone I had before I purchased my smartphone.  It has some productivity features (Java apps), but they pale in comparison to what you can get for Android/iOS.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2014-06-17 03:17:44)

#36 2014-06-17 16:53:49

Different55
#! CrunchBanger

KrunchTime wrote:
brontosaurusrex wrote:

+1 ... my sentiments exactly.

I think of it more like a ToS. If you want to use the service, you have to agree to the terms. You can't pick and chose which terms to obey/allow/follow/whatever.

Sorry about that. I accidentally posted my password in IRC and I had the same password set here so they changed my signature.

#37 2014-06-17 17:03:40

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

I wonder how this works on iOS/Windows Phone? On those platforms you do not get a list of which permissions an app needs, do you?

Look at it from the bright side: at least we know our data is getting collected  devil

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres
Github

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#38 2014-06-17 17:06:23

anonymous
The Mystery Member

From what I've read, on iOS apps ask for individual permissions when first needed/used. I don't know about WP.

Last edited by anonymous (2014-06-17 17:06:34)

#39 2014-06-20 02:21:19

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

Unia wrote:

I wonder how this works on iOS/Windows Phone? On those platforms you do not get a list of which permissions an app needs, do you?

Look at it from the bright side: at least we know our data is getting collected  devil

With some apps under iOS, but not all, you can disable permissions under settings (might not be the exact term).  Thing is, are the permissions you're allowed to disable the only permissions or are others hidden from the user?

#40 2014-06-20 02:55:43

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

KrunchTime wrote:

With some apps under iOS, but not all, you can disable permissions under settings (might not be the exact term).

It's Settings > Privacy. There you'll get a list of categories - Location Services, Calendar, Contacts, Microphone, Motion Sensors, etc. Tap on a category and you'll get a list of all the installed apps that ask for that particular permission, and you choose to allow or disallow each of them from doing so. I think it's a better system than the all-or-nothing approach the Play Store gives you, but third-party permission management apps for Android are probably much more fine-grained.

KrunchTime wrote:

Thing is, are the permissions you're allowed to disable the only permissions or are others hidden from the user?

I'm sure there's stuff hidden from the user. It's Apple we're talking about, after all. The most obvious one would be "Access the Internet", though I'm not sure how closely that one's tied to Location Services which you can disable either via the method above or through the pop-up that appears in-app if/when that happens.

Point & Squirt

#41 2014-06-20 16:26:07

DonVukodlak
#! Member

Before I got my latest phone, the amazing Moto G, I had numerous other phones, ranging from Ericson to HTC. I had two HTC phones, the mac-daddy Wildfire (buzz) and Wildfire junior, the Wildfire S (marvel). They were good phones. Both were running Android 2.3, until I rooted them. I was the first one in my family that had Android 4. Now, they had grown weak, almost. The Wildfire died though, but strangely the Marvel still works. The small amount of aluminum was jagged, so was the rubber coated back. The glass front was scratched, it was very hard to use it. I bought a plastic cover, screen protector, re-flashed an unnoficial Cyanogenmod 10. I did not install GApps (Google apps coughcoughspywarecoughcough), installed DSploit and started messing around with cofee-shops and bars with free Wi-Fi. I still do that, whilst using the Moto G as cover so no-one could suspect it was me. So I just basically use Android phones for sh*t's and giggles, and running Debian Wheezy on it.

iz phun tiemz.
lel.

Moto G | Acer Aspire D255 | Double Tap™ Tactical Pistol | Swiss Army Knife | 500RSD(min.)

Board footer