SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-20 17:48:24

Alad
#! Crunchbanger
Website

Linux holiday

Hello,

As of december last year I've started using Linux, after Microsoft borked another update for Windows XP. In general, I was no longer statisfied on the reliability of the system. As I didn't want no Windows 7, I switched to Linux thinking the grass is greener on the other side.

I started out with Mint and fought my way to Debian Testing in a journey of peril and pain. It got a bit better in Debian Stable where basic functions such as hibernation worked and XFCE did its job somewhat reliably. Still I found myself tweaking/fixing things far too often. Not that I have exotic demands or hardware, just that I'm not statisfied with half-baked solutions, or "stuff kinda works".

Testing brought some relief (though it didn't even boot at first), but after an upgrade killed Xorg I gave up. Along the way I tried Crunchbang and liked it, but didn't stick with it as I still felt the all-GUI mindset. Then I realized much of my problems were GUI related, so I here I am again.

I've confirmed my first good impression with #!, and things I had to waste time on in pure Debian were already done for me - but without bringing the system to an unusable state. So far I've only changed my sources.list, added dnscrypt and backported python-cups from Testing. There's a few other things that sprang to surface, for which I will soon abuse your helpful efforts.  smile

I hope I can now finally focus on the strenghts of Linux instead of running into its weaknesses. Hence the "Linux holiday". Off to learn vim!

Cheers,

Alad

Last edited by Alad (2014-02-20 17:57:41)

Round off #! Waldorf  Part I - Part II
LD_LIBRARY_PATH  |  XSettings
cb-exit  |  cb-steam | Thunar 1.6.3

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2014-02-20 19:32:08

photonucleon
Quantum Geek

Re: Linux holiday

Welcome to #!, have fun smile

-A CrunchBanger's blog-

"At this moment," said Syme, with a scientific detachment, "I think we are going to smash into a lamppost.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Man Who Was Thursday

#3 2014-02-20 20:11:17

damo
#! gimpbanger

Welcome to crunchbang smile  Sounds like you are "enjoying" yourself already!

Artwork at deviantArt;  Iceweasel Personas;  SLiM #! Themes;  Openbox themes

#4 2014-02-21 07:19:34

wuxmedia
wookiee madclaw
Website

Then I realized much of my problems were GUI related

Welcome to linux smile

Board footer