SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-07-16 19:08:53

brandon_mn
Website

Re: How to: install Waldorf from the Debian netinstall

After some tinkering, "startx openbox" (and starting tint2 and conky from "Run Program") yields a full #! desktop in all its glory.
A quick edit to my local .xinitrc and "startx" is all I need!

Thanks again, for this wonderful script! If it's alright, I'm going to write up a guide for fellow #! enthusiasts with chromebooks.

Cheers!

b

EDIT: Here is my guide to CrunchBang on Chrome OS: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewforum.php?id=27917

Last edited by brandon_mn (2013-07-19 16:56:38)

"Be well, do good works, and keep in touch" - Garrison Keillor
--
Custom AMD A6-6400k tower (Waldorf/Sid)
Acer Chromebook C7 (#! for Chrome)

Be excellent to each other!

#27 2013-10-19 10:08:29

touchdry

Hi folks
I'm trying to upgrade from statler to waldorf ... I'm upgrading on an Eee pc (Asus) ... because it is a wireless netbook I have burned the debian 7.2 iso as you instructed ... but I might have slipped up with the iso ... for some reason I have had it in my head that this computer is a powerpc - but now I am not so sure ... the problem is - I don't actually know what sort of pc it is (sorry, I know this sounds very lame ... but my excuse is that I am an artist (darling!) not a computer whizz kid! - so please be patient) ... I've looked in its manual - and nowhere does it say what kind of computer this is ... DOH!

Also, I am 62!! Does that count! I have tried to run from the cd but it doesn't do anything. So could someone give me a clue as to what iso I really need?

Thanks
Name and address supplied ... I think its Ronald - no - it's Gerald ... Bradley? Hedley? ...

#28 2013-10-19 13:19:35

shirley

Hello ... This is touchdry using shirley as another way to contact you ... because I found out its the 386 iso!

So ... I have installed deb 7 but when I typed in http://dl.dropbox etc ... I get "...failed: Name or service not known"

I notice that there is an editors note at the bottom of that post mentioning wheezy but I do not know if that is relevant.

HELPplease!

#29 2013-10-19 17:29:50

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

shirley wrote:

Hello ... This is touchdry using shirley as another way to contact you ... because I found out its the 386 iso!

So ... I have installed deb 7 but when I typed in http://dl.dropbox etc ... I get "...failed: Name or service not known"

I notice that there is an editors note at the bottom of that post mentioning wheezy but I do not know if that is relevant.

HELPplease!

Works for me:

19 Oct 13 | 14:22:06 ~
    $ wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10808732/cb-netinstall.tar.gz
--2013-10-19 14:22:10--  http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10808732/cb-netinstall.tar.gz
Resolving dl.dropbox.com (dl.dropbox.com)... 54.235.129.137
Connecting to dl.dropbox.com (dl.dropbox.com)|54.235.129.137|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 FOUND
Location: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10808732/cb-netinstall.tar.gz [following]
--2013-10-19 14:22:10--  http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10808732/cb-netinstall.tar.gz
Resolving dl.dropboxusercontent.com (dl.dropboxusercontent.com)... 75.101.147.81
Connecting to dl.dropboxusercontent.com (dl.dropboxusercontent.com)|75.101.147.81|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 22151 (22K) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: ‘cb-netinstall.tar.gz’

100%[============================================================================>] 22,151       122KB/s   in 0.2s   

2013-10-19 14:22:11 (122 KB/s) - ‘cb-netinstall.tar.gz’ saved [22151/22151]

19 Oct 13 | 14:22:11 ~
    $ 

Try one at a time:

wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10808732/cb-netinstall.tar.gz
tar -xpf cb-netinstall.tar.gz
cd cb-netinstall
./install

and those you should be able to copy and paste to a terminal - one at a time

Wheezy = Debian «-» Waldorf = Crunchbang == same thing

Last edited by Sector11 (2013-10-19 17:31:23)

#30 2013-10-19 17:40:15

shirley

... I can only try the first one (then if it works the others will work too, otherwise none will work). But I just get the "unable to resolve ..." line. One thought ... could it be that the computer is not online? It's wireless so I don't have any idea as to whether it is connected.

#31 2013-10-19 18:02:41

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

shirley wrote:

... I can only try the first one (then if it works the others will work too, otherwise none will work). But I just get the "unable to resolve ..." line. One thought ... could it be that the computer is not online? It's wireless so I don't have any idea as to whether it is connected.

YES!  You must be online to do this...

#32 2013-10-19 18:21:27

shirley

OK ... how can I tell if I am online or not? Its wireless ... I"ve just installed deb7 ... so all I have done is username and password ... which appears to leave me with only command line. I do not know the bash stuff so, I"m sorry but you are going to have to spell it out.

#33 2013-10-19 19:25:32

shirley

... have tried "ping 8.8.8.8" ... the reply was: connect: Network is unreachable

... that doesn't sound good. Is this normal when trying to install? I have the basic deb7 ... I've given it wireless info such as WEP ... so can I actually wget - johnraff offered the wget instruction so I am assuming that I should be able go to wget dl.dropbox (once they have cleared up the DDoS ... keep going guys - we're right behind you!)?

#34 2013-10-20 08:25:39

shirley

I've had another look at johnraffs instructions, and I notice that one of his later posts talks about this link http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unoff … -firmware/
He says that these images should "enable wireless internet access from the beginning of the install". Perhaps this is what I need.
But this then reveals a question:
Which is the image I need ... and what do I do with it? If I need to load an iso onto a cd - well, I can do it with the other computer I am using ... but then what do I do with the cd? I use an external cd player so will it run under the basic deb7 system? I think the image I need is the i386 folder of 7.0.0 live ... is that right? - but then I get a further choice ... is it the weboot or the iso hybrid? How do I actually download it? Do I then xburn the image to a cd?
... And the obvious question is - how are they doing with the DDOS? Here"s hoping for them.

Last edited by shirley (2013-10-20 09:16:29)

#35 2013-10-20 17:51:19

dashingdon

shirley wrote:

I've had another look at johnraffs instructions, and I notice that one of his later posts talks about this link http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unoff … -firmware/
He says that these images should "enable wireless internet access from the beginning of the install". Perhaps this is what I need.
But this then reveals a question:
Which is the image I need ... and what do I do with it? If I need to load an iso onto a cd - well, I can do it with the other computer I am using ... but then what do I do with the cd? I use an external cd player so will it run under the basic deb7 system? I think the image I need is the i386 folder of 7.0.0 live ... is that right? - but then I get a further choice ... is it the weboot or the iso hybrid? How do I actually download it? Do I then xburn the image to a cd?
... And the obvious question is - how are they doing with the DDOS? Here"s hoping for them.

I am going to use (tonight) http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unoff … 86/iso-cd/

Assuming your computer is i386 , download the iso , burn it on cd using any image writing tool. Put the burned cd in the cd drive (assuming your cd drive works). Boot from CD (Check computer bios to enable cd boot if it doesn't work in first attempt) . then follow the guide.

Last edited by dashingdon (2013-10-20 17:52:35)

#36 2013-10-20 18:19:27

porkpiehat
#! Die Hard

dashingdon wrote:

I am going to use (tonight) ...

These scripts will not work until the DDoS attack is resolved.

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=29646
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 36#p339136

Last edited by porkpiehat (2013-10-20 18:24:40)

I love mankind; it's people I can't stand. -- Linus van Pelt

#37 2013-10-20 18:47:12

shirley

thanks dashingdon ... are you saying that debian 7 is the correct folder - or is it debian 7.2? If 7.0 then which iso? hybrid or weboot? Then what do I do to download them?  I cannot just drag and drop, so perhaps I need to download via terminal or something - if so please spell it out for this ignorant non-techy please. ... or is there a simply more straight forward way?

#38 2013-10-21 02:19:12

dashingdon

porkpiehat wrote:
dashingdon wrote:

I am going to use (tonight) ...

These scripts will not work until the DDoS attack is resolved.

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=29646
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 36#p339136

Oh. Thanks. I will try to download the striped down images provided (Unofficials) smile

#39 2013-10-21 02:23:42

dashingdon

shirley wrote:

thanks dashingdon ... are you saying that debian 7 is the correct folder - or is it debian 7.2? If 7.0 then which iso? hybrid or weboot? Then what do I do to download them?  I cannot just drag and drop, so perhaps I need to download via terminal or something - if so please spell it out for this ignorant non-techy please. ... or is there a simply more straight forward way?

To answer your question , yes 7.2 should be fine.  if you click on the link I provided should list one ISO file. assuming you are using windows , you can just click on the file and that should download the iso file on your computer. (BUT this image install will not work until DDoS issue resolved). check the links before this post.

#40 2013-10-22 17:34:56

johnraff
#!Drunkard
Website

Basically as others have said - you can download the Debian netinstall iso file OK because that comes from the Debian servers, not Crunchbang. You can install Debian Wheezy from that OK, but you'll need a working internet connection. You can also download my Crunchbang script from Dropbox, but you won't be able to run it until the Crunchbang DOS issue is fixed and the repository is working again, because the script needs to download and install some Crunchbang packages.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator

#41 2013-11-04 08:19:24

themidnightengineer
Website

hi john, thanks for posting this workaround. its a god-send. using your script, i was able to finally successfully install to a dell optiplex gx150 (pentium III processor) desktop that couldn't boot from usb drive and only had cd-rom drive.

screenshot-11042013-033613am.php

Last edited by themidnightengineer (2013-11-04 08:40:35)

#42 2013-11-06 12:03:40

johnraff
#!Drunkard
Website

^Hi MNE - glad it worked out for you!

@everyone
The last couple of days while working on a different version of this script I hit a strange issue with the cb-configs package. Sometimes it didn't seem to install all the (config) files it had, so eg Terminator windows might look strange. No idea what's going on (I'll post a separate thread about it) but for now if you should hit this issue - like not all the usual CrunchBang settings seem to "take" - try this workaround:

sudo service slim stop

This will drop you back to a cli login. Log in, reinstall the package and run the install script again:

sudo apt-get purge cb-configs
sudo apt-get install cb-configs
cd ~/cb-netinstall
./install

That fixed it for me.

John
--------------------
#! forum moderator

#43 2013-11-21 19:52:00

rebbi

I'm one of those folks who has to use wireless because this old Gateway Solo 2500 has NO ETHERNET PORT (yikes) so I am using a PCMCIA wireless card.

All went well until after the Debian post-install reboot, at which point I no longer had a wireless connection to download and install the net install tarball from dropbox. How do I work around that? Thanks!

#44 2013-11-22 17:16:11

johnraff
#!Drunkard
Website

Hi rebbi. I had the same issue a few years ago with a pcmcia LAN card. It worked during the install, but not on the installed system. The fix then was to install the pcmciautils package. With no network you'll have to download the .deb file from here on another box, put it on a usb stick and hope that the basic debian system you installed is able to mount the stick! It looks as if you might need the wireless-tools package too.

If the usb stick won't mount, maybe you can download the files while running the debian netinstall - open another terminal to get a shell and wget the files to your hard drive for use by the new system. crazy.gif

Once you've got the deb file(s) you can install with 'sudo dpkg -i name_of_debfile.deb'

Fingers crossed!

John
--------------------
#! forum moderator

#45 2014-02-04 17:50:29

punkmft
Website

Hi...

Do you think that this script can work with Debian Jessy?

Cheers from Mexico City. smile

Last edited by punkmft (2014-02-04 22:26:28)

#46 2014-02-18 17:38:39

johnraff
#!Drunkard
Website

@punkmft the short answer is "no".
It will exit right away after checking the Debian version!

The long answer is that you could modify the script to work with Jessie, but the Crunchbang packages are built for Wheezy and some of them might cause problems. It's possible to make something resembling Crunchbang on Jessie, but you'd have to be able to deal with difficulties and complications which are already beyond what the script can help with.

So the long answer is "no" too. question.gif

John
--------------------
#! forum moderator

#47 2014-03-27 05:46:43

johnraff
#!Drunkard
Website

The download from GitHub can now be used in the netinstall as the permissions issue has been worked around. Instructions in the top post have been edited.

John
--------------------
#! forum moderator

#48 2014-03-27 08:56:33

balloon
Website

Downloading is changed to GitHub.
wget fails in downloading in this thing.
Please attach optional --no-check-certificate to solve this:

wget --no-check-certificate https://github.com/johnraff/cb-netinstall/archive/master.tar.gz
tar -xpf master.tar.gz
cd cb-netinstall-master
./install

I entered the world of #! with a network installer.
johnraff, thank you!

Last edited by balloon (2014-03-27 08:56:54)

BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen. (ふうせん Fu-sen.)
ChunchBang Japan!  クランチバン ジャパン!  http://crunchbang-jp.jimdo.com/

#49 2014-03-27 10:04:44

Alad
#! Crunchbanger
Website

wget needing --no-check-certificate was fixed in debian 7.4 (the current version)

Last edited by Alad (2014-03-27 10:12:07)

Round off #! Waldorf  Part I - Part II
LD_LIBRARY_PATH  |  XSettings
cb-exit  |  cb-steam | Thunar 1.6.3

Be excellent to each other!

#50 2014-04-16 13:46:50

johnraff
#!Drunkard
Website

wget https certificates issue

balloon wrote:

Downloading is changed to GitHub.
wget fails in downloading in this thing.
Please attach optional --no-check-certificate to solve this:

wget --no-check-certificate https://github.com/johnraff/cb-netinstall/archive/master.tar.gz
tar -xpf master.tar.gz
cd cb-netinstall-master
./install
Alad wrote:

wget needing --no-check-certificate was fixed in debian 7.4 (the current version)

@baloon and @Alad, you're both right of course, and it had me puzzled for a while. You can test wget with that url and without the --no-check-certificate option and it works fine, but during the netinstall process it doesn't. The issue seems to be that the necessary certificates are not available at that point. It can be fixed two ways:
1) by checking the "standard system utlities" option during the Debian netinstall. The 120 or so packages that come are pretty much all things lke perl and python that would get installed by the script later on anyway, so you're not really adding much bloat.
2) alternatively, just add that wget option when downloading the script.

I'm not sure which would be the better option to recommend in the HOWTO...

Last edited by johnraff (2014-04-17 02:04:16)

John
--------------------
#! forum moderator

Board footer