SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-22 18:05:12

volido

1st #! Impressions from Manhattan

Some days using #! Crunchbang....and extremely pleased
I'm not a power user, I don’t know anything about programing or even Linux but I have experience  with Ubuntu and with Mint for a couple of years.  I tried to implement GNU/Linux as the main production OS on my company for some time already without much success. Ive been trying to switch all my digital environment (architecture and design firm, 7 workstations ,plotter, printers, PDA's,server) towards free(free as  freedom) software using only recycled hardware.
This is not only an economic strategy but more than an ethical position leading not without struggle, myself in this direction.
working sometimes with more than 10 year old workstations i found Ubuntu, and Mint extremely bloated and unstable in their latests versions,  unsuitable and unsustainable though  for a serious production environment.
The Debian packages  feeding #! appear extremely stable...and also sometimes annoyingly old. But this balance I suppose is necessary and at the end very positive. I’m not anxious anymore about the system collapsing once again...it just keeps working and turns on without surprises  every morning.
#! is very fun...its a revolutionary approach to OS. and even it took me a while to take the decision to implement it, mainly because I was intimidated but its unusual appearance, I’m really happy I did it. I really love the look, the functionality, the straight forward approach... and not having the icons populating my desktop relax me and make my long hours of computing much more pleasant, clear and fast. In the other side, the minimal icon-less interface is boosting a much faster learning pace, a much more comprehensive and organized understanding of the machine and the computing.
i this context i can recommend this OS to anyone, from the experienced user to the novice one... if you are new in Linux I really think you need a fast introduction by someone with a little experience with it. my girlfriend, the typical Apple victim, is moving to it, and the new  intern, with zero experience with Linux is working without problems after a brief intro of 20 min, mazing me and especially himself
i would like to congratulate to #! team and their Debian partners for this wonderful OS.
best form NYC
devil

Last edited by volido (2014-01-22 18:10:54)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2014-01-22 20:09:10

photonucleon
Quantum Geek

Re: 1st #! Impressions from Manhattan

Welcome! Yes, #! is very stable and reliable, I have found.

Enjoy smile

-A CrunchBanger's blog-

"At this moment," said Syme, with a scientific detachment, "I think we are going to smash into a lamppost.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Man Who Was Thursday

#3 2014-01-23 04:53:27

vicshrike
#! by Default

Nice intro, made me smile, welcome to the forums volido.

#!, all else is but a shadow

#4 2014-01-23 08:51:57

Nili
#! CrunchBanger

Welcome and enjoy Crunchbang Distro!

volido wrote:

i found Ubuntu, and Mint extremely bloated and unstable in their latests versions,  unsuitable and unsustainable though  for a serious production environment.
devil

This is really true, even myself started with Ubuntu for almost a year, and passed 2 years with Mint without knowing that there was no difference with Ubuntu, however, i have used it because there wasn't Canonical. Better late than never passed to #! Debian

and i may prove all printscreen i have done in two years on Mint, My CPU Dual Core always stayed 20% to 50% in use with that Bloated Mint and pretty slow startup for 40sec.
Since when passed to #! my CPU hold on to 1 / 5% in use, i can open superfast Pictures, Videos, Skype, Doc, PDF - Startup 7 to 10sec etc etc... which does not happen with slowly Nemo, Cinnamon and Mint.

You did good job finding this amazing OS.
Debian is the best!

#! @debian gnu/linux testing (jessie)

Board footer