SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-18 03:27:58

autodidactic

Add extra padding on OpenBox menu?

This is really not that big of a deal but I was  wondering if anybody knew of a way to add padding to the OB menu. I've read through the documentation and there isn't a way through the config file. Would it be possible maybe via gtkrc?

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-12-18 03:38:07

damo
#! gimpbanger

Re: Add extra padding on OpenBox menu?

autodidactic wrote:

This is really not that big of a deal but I was  wondering if anybody knew of a way to add padding to the OB menu. I've read through the documentation and there isn't a way through the config file. Would it be possible maybe via gtkrc?

The menu style is set by the theme you are using. The configs are set in the themerc file in  /usr/share/themes/<Theme> or .themes, and are easily changed.
Amazingly there is information here: Openbox Help:Themes  tongue
Specifically padding.width

Artwork at deviantArt;  Iceweasel Personas;  SLiM #! Themes;  Openbox themes

#3 2013-12-18 05:51:58

autodidactic

As I already stated in my original post, I've already checked the docs and padding.width doesn't work. Not surprising since the docs say that padding.width specifically applies to window decorations and not menus.

Last edited by autodidactic (2013-12-18 05:55:31)

#4 2013-12-18 07:01:56

damo
#! gimpbanger

Sorry about that - I misread your post. I'm pretty sure there's a way, because I think I've done it in the past. I'll check through some of my old themes later.

#5 2013-12-18 07:43:41

damo
#! gimpbanger

OK, back home at my own machine now... There is a workaround to get what you want, but I can only see it working without gradients. Set the menu.items.bg.color and menu.border.color to the same value, then set menu.border.width

Apologies if I came across a bit patronising earlier sad My excuse is it was at the end of a long nightshift, and I should read a bit more carefully before posting smile

#6 2013-12-18 11:37:20

autodidactic

damo wrote:

Apologies if I came across a bit patronising earlier sad My excuse is it was at the end of a long nightshift, and I should read a bit more carefully before posting smile

No worries.  smile

The workaround doesn't really cut it because the highlights on hover end where the border begins. I'll have to keep digging around and see what can be done. I'm hoping there is a way in gtkrc to target the menu as a widget.

#7 2013-12-18 18:52:21

PackRat
#! Die Hard

You should be able to change the menu highlight color to match the menu frame and border, then have the text change color/style when highlighted.

"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce tribe

#8 2013-12-18 19:20:20

iann
#! Die Hard

autodidactic wrote:

The workaround doesn't really cut it because the highlights on hover end where the border begins. I'll have to keep digging around and see what can be done. I'm hoping there is a way in gtkrc to target the menu as a widget.

Openbox isn't a GTK app so the GTK theme can't do anything to it.  It builds all its own widgets, although that's just a menu plus a handful of panels and dialogs.  It also owns all the window decorations.  It doesn't offer a facility for controlling menuitem padding other than separators, and all the does is make the visible portion of the separator shorted.  Messing with the borders could work if you don't want a visible border.

#9 2013-12-18 19:58:11

damo
#! gimpbanger

Or patch the OB source code?

#10 2013-12-18 21:02:44

autodidactic

damo wrote:

Or patch the OB source code?

This will be the thing to do then. Thanks for the tips everybody.

Board footer