SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-16 14:09:06

LindonW

soundconverter fail and workaround

I still live in the world of CDs but I also like to have ogg vorbis files on my laptop so I use sound-juicer to create them. The current version of sound-juicer doesn't give users control over sound quality, so in the past I have created a flac file and then used soundconverter to also create a suitable ogg file. Unfortunately, the current version of soundconverter (2.0.1-1) in wheezy/Waldorf fails to work for me - it just hangs when you start the conversion. I tried to track my way through the dependencies (and install the noted missing ones for mp3 etc) but couldn't find a way to get the process to work.

I decided to revert to an older version of soundconverter (1.5.4) which is the one currently in ubuntu 12.04 LTS, and installed it from source. I am pleased to report that (with the addition of python-gst0.10) it now works fine.

Has anyone had similar issues with soundconverter? I'd be interested in thoughts and/or alternative solutions?

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-11-16 17:22:12

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Re: soundconverter fail and workaround

I've never used soundconverter.  There are several other ripper utilities, including ripperx, asunder, and abcde, all of which let you set sound quality when ripping.

Last edited by pvsage (2013-11-16 17:25:21)

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#3 2013-11-16 18:44:23

LindonW

Thanks - of course I hadn't thought very far outside the box on this. I have used asunder in the past - it uses a much more comprehensive online database that sound-juicer for the cd data - but in its present iteration it takes about 8 times longer to rip a CD than sound-juicer (it's using different support applications I guess). However, I will have a look at ripperx and abcde. My workaround delivers for me as it is handy to have a flac version of the CD as well (stored away on a backup disc), but I will now see what these other two programs can do. Thanks again.

#4 2013-11-18 11:24:35

LindonW

I've had a look at ripperx and abcde. I am sure that they both do a good job, though I think that getting cd metadata sorted out using the CLI is more perverse than efficient. I have retried asunder and it works fine but is still very slow. It gives quality settings however.

A related issue, which is also why I find soundconverter useful, is that soundconverter can convert a donwloaded mp4a file (for example) into an ogg or an mp3 very quickly. I am sure that this can also be done on the CLI, but to me that is also a bit perverse. There you go.

#5 2013-11-18 11:48:52

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

From flac to ogg-vorbis with metadata;

a.

sudo apt-get install vorbis-tools

b.

oggenc acdc.flac -q 5
Opening with flac module: FLAC file reader
Encoding "acdc.flac" to 
         "acdc.ogg" 
at quality 5.00
	[100.0%] [ 0m00s remaining] \ 

Done encoding file "acdc.ogg"

File length:  4m 54.0s
	Elapsed time: 0m 05.8s
	Rate:         51.2286
	Average bitrate: 155.4 kb/s

Yes, metadata travels just fine as well:

mediainfo acdc.ogg | grep 'Track\|Performer\|name'
Complete name                            : acdc.ogg
Track name                               : Thunderstruck
Track name/Position                      : 1
Performer                                : AC-DC

p.s. And yes, "batch mode" is easy as well;

cd /my/flac/rip
oggenc *.flac -q 5

----------------------------------------------------

LindonW wrote:

I am sure that this can also be done on the CLI, but to me that is also a bit perverse.

Actually my findings are that this gui tools don't have a clue what they are doing at least 80% of time, so cli is sane imho.

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2013-11-18 12:14:44)

#6 2013-11-18 12:35:29

LindonW

Thanks. Does oggenc encode m4a to ogg (it says unsupported format so I guess there is another lib needed)?

And how do I deal with filenames with spaces in - I seem to have to replace the underscores with spaces ...

#7 2013-11-18 12:44:38

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

LindoW; I'd do a script in your case (just to avoid oggenc included in ffmeg, which is said to be sub-optimal quality, but don't quote me)
a. m4a to intermediate flac (use ffmpeg) < metadata should travel
b. intermediate flac to ogg, see my previous post.

#8 2013-11-18 12:46:07

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

LindonW wrote:

And how do I deal with filenames with spaces in - I seem to have to replace the underscores with spaces ...

You can quote them like; oggenc "my nasty spaced file.flac" -q 5

#9 2013-11-18 18:19:23

LindonW

So here's a roundup.

Converting flac to ogg, and m4a to flag to ogg
Thanks to brontosaurusrex I have been able to convert flac files to ogg in the cli using oggenc, both individually and in batch mode. This is fast and preserves metadata just fine. I haven't done a conversion from m4a to flac using ffmpeg yet, but expect that will work fine too. I think this is an excellent substitute for soundconverter (the current wheezy version doesn't work at present, though it is possible to install an older version - which does work - from source). Soundconverter was written by Debian developer Lars Wirzenius, though no longer maintained by him, but I expect the current maintainer will mend it soon.

Ripping from CD
As soundjuicer does not give the user control over quality settings at present and I don't want the low-ish default quality, I have tried out abcde and xripper, and re-used asunder. Thanks to pvsage for the suggestions. Abcde runs on the command line, and works ok, though it's a little bit faffy entering the metadata for cds it doesn't find in the online database. Ripperx is a bit windows xp garish, and has too many setup screens for my liking, but again it works ok. Asunder is good, is easy to configure and enter data into - if only it was as fast at ripping as sound-juicer, though it is about the same as both abcde and ripperx. I think all these rippers (except soundjuicer) can produce flac and ogg at the same time, but asunder has for me the best interface, and is in keeping with the crunchbang nimble and minimalist approach (for a gui program).

Thanks again to brontosaurusrex and pvsage. And I like Crunchbang more and more. smile

#10 2013-11-18 20:39:33

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

I wonder (haven't actually rip a cd for ages), would any of the mentioned rippers (abcde, soundjuicer, whatnot) support AccurateRip database?

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2013-11-18 20:39:58)

#11 2013-11-19 21:51:29

LindonW

I can't help here as I hadn't come across AccurateRip prior to the link here. A question for the linux ripper maintainers?

#12 2013-11-20 10:51:47

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

This seems to be the thing (A "perfect" linux ripper 2013);
http://thomas.apestaart.org/morituri/trac/

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2013-11-20 13:23:08)

#13 2013-11-24 22:17:25

LindonW

For sound conversion, pacpl is in the wheezy repository. It works on the command line, and converts an m4a file to an ogg format with the following command:

pacpl --to=ogg --oggqual=6 --verbose input.m4a

--verbose to see progress.

It seems to be able to deal with many formats.

Board footer