SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-26 20:39:09

superwow
#! Member

Quality Linux / Debian blogs?

I have searched various search engines, and this blog, for quality blogs about Linux and Debian. I personally am aware of only a few which are regularly updated, still open and posting, and sufficient for end users who are not hardware or software engineers. Here are the sites I regularly follow or check:

webupd8.org
omgubuntu.co.uk                   
(I have followed these for years, mainly geared toward our ubuntu friends, because I used Ubuntus for years.)

larrythecrunchbangguy.com       <- one of us, he has some good tutorials too
www.pclinuxos.com                  <- SUPER good tutorials on things like Openbox etc
all-things-linux.blogspot.co.uk   <- pretty good
www.linuxnov.com                   <- good all around linux site
phoronix.org                             <- very hardware oriented, also rather tech heavy, but a good source of info
mylinuxrig.com                         <- I love to learn other users usage scenarios, workflow patterns, and setup. Fun site.

Sadly, though, when I search for new new linux blogs, pages of search results list blogs which are either not updated often, or have been dead for years. I am interested in learning what other users in the #! community use. Care to share?

Be excellent to each other!

#3 2013-09-27 03:57:17

mbemboom
#! CrunchBanger

Re: Quality Linux / Debian blogs?

Thanks for sharing these.  I have bookmarked and/or subscribed to several of them.  Lots of extremely useful and interesting information.

"Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man. "  - The Dude

#4 2013-09-27 13:34:56

joek
#! Junkie

If you like inconsolation.wordpress.com, you might also like kmandla's previous blog, Motho Ke Motho Ka Botho, which can be found at kmandla.wordpress.com. It is now defunct, but the archives are both extensive and interesting...

#5 2013-09-27 17:23:47

superwow
#! Member

I agree, Kmandla's site was very cool; I wish it was still around. It *fits* #!.

Linuxplanet was a site I should have listed as a regular but just forgot. It too is good.

Inconsolation, Helios, Darkduck, Dedoimedo have all fallen off my radar because ... sad ... I forgot to backup my bookmarks when switched distros recently. Backing up is super important. But thanks for the reminder. All four of these have been great sources of information and perspective for me in the past. I will check out the other links you guys have provided. Thanks again.

#6 2013-09-28 03:53:25

tlinsley
#! Member

@mbemboom - You are very welcome!  Glad you found them interesting/useful.

@joek - Thank you for that one.  I seem to recall arriving there a few times via long forgotten googling, but apparently neglected to bookmark.  Chronic CRS syndrome I guess.  roll

#7 2013-09-28 18:35:00

antiv0rtex
#! Die Hard

My particular favorites:

Inconsolation
Motho ke motho ka botho
urukrama's weblog, and don't forget about his/her excellent (and exhaustive!) Openbox guide

I also regularly read Tuxmachines, but it's not so much a 'blog' per se than a aggregation point.

Last edited by antiv0rtex (2013-09-28 18:35:24)

#8 2013-09-30 03:17:47

superwow
#! Member

@antiVortex @tlinsely @joek & @mbemboom thanks for posting.

All the links you folks are sharing are quite good and mostly updated regularly. Kmandla's is not updated often, but it's content is often excellent. Inconsolation is pretty similar though. Those sites all go together in the same workflow as #!, minimal, low power consumption, get the job done in an efficient and non-flashy way.

Tuxmachines is good too as a general source for linux information, both IT and consumer related. Good addition.

#9 2013-09-30 23:55:34

bkerensa
Website

Thanks for reading my blog smile but I think a quality line up of blogs must include women in FOSS. I have posted a list of my favorite women in FOSS bloggers on my blog and hope you might give their blogs a read.

Benjamin Kerensa
Open Souce Evangelist & Developer
http://benjaminkerensa.com

#10 2013-10-01 05:08:39

tlinsley
#! Member

@bkerensa - Thanks for the links in your blog post.  Will definitely check them out.

#11 2013-10-01 11:56:02

spiritchaser
#! CrunchBanger

^ cool stuff everyone - lots of new sources, gotta read them all, gotta catch them all

lately i came across this blog - good stuff too : http://blog.sanctum.geek.nz/ - Arabesque Systems, Tools, and Terminal Science

Falun Dafa is good, truth, comapssion, tolerance is good. Stop the Persecution of Falun Gong in China.

#12 2013-10-04 09:57:54

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

Checkout http://lxer.com as they often have posts from blogs, one mentioned by you and some by others in this thread.  It's a great source for Linux news as well.

www.debian-news.net may also be another good source for blogs related to Debian.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2013-10-04 10:00:16)

#13 2013-10-05 03:21:43

antiv0rtex
#! Die Hard

superwow wrote:

Kmandla's is not updated often, but it's content is often excellent. Inconsolation is pretty similar though.

To be clear, kmandala runs both whateveritisBotho and Inconsolation.

#14 2013-10-05 16:05:52

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

I quite like Mylinuxexplore, Arindam does thorough reviews although I'm questioning where he is taking the time from to do several reviews a week, he's got to be unemployed lol .

Not that many tips though, all about distro reviews. Bit similar to Das U-blog in this respect. He's slowed down a lot tough, like me.

From ArchBang to SlackBang | Project SlackBang

Say no to bugs. - It's not a bug, it's a worm.

#15 2013-10-16 08:45:31

superwow
#! Member

@antiv0rtex - Somehow i missed that connection but it totally makes sense. Thanks.
@barnabyh - Thanks interesting site.

Also now that a number of posts have been made about "linux" I thought I would add one link which is linux related but not exactly about linux. Part of the linux experience is customization. And part of customization is the interface/gui/desktop experience. For years I have monitored an excellent site which expositions beautiful desktop customizations. Really, there is art in this site. It is lovely. So, if you are interested in customizing your desktop and submitting some quality screeshots to the monthly screenshot thread you might should investigate the blog of @fog called 'A Geek Woman'. Skillful, artful, an inspirational!

Board footer