SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-09-15 03:56:01

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

Re: One of #! forums many endearing qualities ... user names. :P

Mine is really far from my real name or any derivative of that mostly due to it being close to another member of the Linux community/tech writer and people would get us confused. Sometimes I could even help them, others I'd point to her blog (which was on the same network as my old blog at the time, which added to the confusion). She's pretty cool, and we still catch up every so often.

So anyway- I needed a nickname for a post or two and I think I'd had chili for dinner (the extra "l" is a misspelling) and was sipping on Campari so it wasn't actually that creative. Then it kind of stuck and that's pretty much that. I use variations on that in different places but don't tend to stray too far from the root nick.

Last edited by chillicampari (2013-09-15 07:56:02)

#! forum moderator

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#27 2013-09-15 04:18:38

Dobbie03
Resident Metaller

Mine is just a nickname all the males of my family are known as by friends of the family, customers at work etc.  When I go to the pub and enter a raffle or any type of draw Dobbie03 is my handle.  When my Grandfather was alive and we were at the club drinking and of course entering all the raffles etc, he was Dobbie01, Dad was Dobbie02 and of course I was Dobbie03.  My eldest son likes to call himself Dobbie04 smile

Just for you inquisitive people, yes of course since Harry Potter has come out I get likened to the elf Dobby pretty much every day.

#28 2013-09-15 04:31:48

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ ...so where does the moniker actually come from?  Are men in your family known for wearing shirts with an asymmetric vertical stripe?

Yes; as a matter of fact, I am a cop.  Why do you ask? cool
I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#29 2013-09-15 05:38:11

GekkoP
#! Junkie
Website

Been using mine for more than 10 years now. It comes from a Mickey Mouse comic I read as a kid. There was this character named Gekko Pastina who appeared and then vanished in just one page of the comic. I was always sad about him being cut off like that. So I took his name to be sure it could be somewhat remembered.

#30 2013-09-15 06:10:25

intoCB
Scatweasel

It's the name of a song by The Fall. I originally posted here with my real name but after a while felt naked. It's a rubbish name but mercifully short (unlike some of my postings).

I like names like snowpine, gutterslob and Sadistic Donkey Owner 9000.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but Martin Amis irks me.

#31 2013-09-15 07:21:52

nore
#! Junkie

#32 2013-09-15 14:52:35

demifiend
#! Member
Website

lcafiero wrote:

Isn't the moniker BAM 9000 from a game?

Doom had the BFG-9000.

"I defenestrate people for quoting Nietzsche at dinner." --Tamara Gellion

You can also find me on...
GitHub | Google+ | matthewgraybosch.com | starbreakerseries.com

#33 2013-09-15 15:00:07

demifiend
#! Member
Website

Mine's a little complicated. While growing up, my parents kept telling me to act like a normal human being -- as if I wasn't. I grew up thinking I wasn't fully human. However, I'm not handsome enough to be a demigod. "Demifiend" actually comes from Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne, and refers to the game's silent protagonist. He becomes demonic, but retains his human intellect and emotions, making him a "demi-fiend".

#34 2013-09-15 15:46:30

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

^ Was wondering where I'd seen that name before. Thanks for refreshing my memory. Nocturne's definitely one of the best (and most underrated) RPGs ever on the PS2. Was cool how he started getting those markings all over him as the game progressed. Also probably the last SMT games to be text-exclusive. TheSMTs that came after had corny voice acting for a lot of their transition scenes, which ruins the experience, imho, and they generally just weren't as good.

Point & Squirt

#35 2013-09-15 16:16:31

demifiend
#! Member
Website

gutterslob wrote:

^ Was wondering where I'd seen that name before. Thanks for refreshing my memory. Nocturne's definitely one of the best (and most underrated) RPGs ever on the PS2. Was cool how he started getting those markings all over him as the game progressed. Also probably the last SMT games to be text-exclusive. TheSMTs that came after had corny voice acting for a lot of their transition scenes, which ruins the experience, imho, and they generally just weren't as good.

Yeah, I miss RPGs that don't have voice acting -- but if a Japanese game released in North America comes with the Japanese voice track as an option, I'll use that. I always turn on the subtitles anyway, so why not?  devil

#36 2013-09-17 05:50:35

Dobbie03
Resident Metaller

pvsage wrote:

^ ...so where does the moniker actually come from?  Are men in your family known for wearing shirts with an asymmetric vertical stripe?

From our surname, Dobson.

No we prefer a symmetrical horizontal stripe.  That way it appears to broaden the shoulders.

#37 2013-09-17 16:09:51

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

OK. First letter of first name + entire last name. What I lack in imagination, I make up for in wit, multiple times over. big_smile

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#38 2013-09-17 21:51:53

Hy
#! Member

since april 2007.

explained already in the intros  tongue

~ #! Another satisfied customer #! ~

Board footer