SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#701 2013-09-01 21:22:19

notHere

Re: Why do you use #!Crunchbang

I use it because it's simple and I don't have to update it every six months. Also, it's really lightweight and great out of the box. I've run Ubuntu, Fedora, LMDE and a few others but #! just seems to be the perfect solution right now.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#702 2013-09-01 22:24:48

rmcellig
#! Junkie
Website

I agree!

Cheers Randy
www.mcran.com - my web site
www.chuo.fm - My radio show Sundays  noon-2pm EST or 89.1 fM

#703 2013-09-03 21:18:35

CSCoder4ever
#! Thinker

I use Crunchbang because of the customizability it actually gives me. Linux mint nor Fedora had given me this incredible customizability.

That, and Crunchbang actually gives me a challenge, an extra bonus for me anyways!

Crunch Pro: specs, #! x64 w/ Openbox, Arch x64
Archbook: Thinkpad Edge 13, Arch x64 w/ i3
thinking of building a #! machine?

#704 2013-09-03 22:30:22

rmcellig
#! Junkie
Website

I'm a newbie to #! as well and I have to say that after using it, I get it.

Cheers Randy

#705 2013-09-14 18:45:47

photonucleon
Quantum Geek

#! for me is just brilliant. I first started using Linux with Ubuntu 11.04, and immediately loved it. I later discovered, as Ubuntu got newer and newer versions which ran slower and slower on my old laptop, that what I loved about Ubuntu was mainly - not only, but mainly - the Debian-y bits. Debian itself, however, just didn't "feel right". I knew I wanted something customisable and, importantly, light, so when I found CrunchBang I installed it straight away. This was #! Statler, and I found it ran way faster than any other distro I'd tried, and it was really nice to customise since it really leaves room - while being excellent as a fresh install - for you to make it what you want it to be visually and in terms of keyboard shortcuts and such - the use of the Super key to launch the main apps is brilliant for me, since it makes things much quicker, and while #! kinda forces you to do a bit of command line/config file tweaking stuff, rather than the GUI settings managers of many other distros, I was willing to learn how to do that, and it has led ultimately to me being able to customise the distro for myself as much as I want without being restricted too much by the GUI options - I can "see a bigger picture." There was a time when I reinstalled Ubuntu and dual-booted Ubuntu and #! but this slowed my laptop down too much, so I wiped it and installed #! Waldorf. Yes, I'm something of a distro-hopper, but I can safely say that #! is here to stay on my computer! I know that its minimal approach isn't for everyone - and it doesn't have to be - but for me the speed and simplicity of it makes it my personal favourite distro.
Sorry if I've rambled on a bit, but just thought I'd put out there what I think about #!

-A CrunchBanger's blog-

"At this moment," said Syme, with a scientific detachment, "I think we are going to smash into a lamppost.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Man Who Was Thursday

#706 2013-09-25 18:11:31

tamikan
#! Die Hard

The very first time I've heard about #! I thought the name was cool and the dark look attracted me. Everytime I heard the name #! I felt like doing crunches...for real

Last edited by tamikan (2013-09-25 18:47:05)

Take your time & do one thing at the time  big_smile

#707 2013-09-25 21:11:41

s-rod

On a regular basis I have a need to remotely work on my machine.  Even though most of the time I can get by with a command line interface, a lightweight desktop can be very useful.   Combining #!Crunchbang with x2go is by far the best solution I have come up with. Light-Fast-Responsive-Full Featured

#708 2013-09-25 21:35:03

Linuxephus™
Banned

I use Crunchbang Waldorf because it meets all of my needs.
Out of the box figuratively speaking.
With absolute certainty.
As such, it'll remain my primary operating system henceforth.
Period.

-Evolution Is Merely God's Way Of Performing An Upgrade.-
-Linux: Guerrilla UNIX Development...Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus.-
-Linux: The Operating System With A C.L.U.E...Command Line User Environment.-

#709 2013-09-27 20:54:05

rmcellig
#! Junkie
Website

Well, here I am again posting to this thread. It's been a few weeks now since I have had #! on all of my computers. Today, I figured out how to share my desktop with the other computers on my LAN. Simple? You bet. I didn't like the TightVNCviewer so I changed the command to remmina which I like better. Works great and took less than 30 seconds to change in the cb-remote-desktop-pipemenu file.

Now if I can focus on how to use Pipemenus, that would be great.

In short, I'm a newbie to Linux and I love #! !!!

Cheers Randy

#710 2013-10-15 11:55:12

whitehart

I use it because I like it's speed and minimalism. I like how streamlined everything is. In my experience with Linux it is probably the greatest Debian based distribution and is a contender for my favorite distribution of all time. Not to mention I'm saying all this when just a few weeks ago, I was trying #! for the first time. I'm really glad that I decided to install this and I think it will be my main operating system for some time to come.

GCS/MU d? s:s++ a-- C++++>$ UL/B++++>$ P++ L+++ E--- W++ N++ o K- w-- O- M- VMS-- PS+++ PE++ Y++ GNUGP(No PGP)++ t+ 5 X R++ tv- b++ DI+++ D+ G++ e>++(+++) h++(h*) !r y*

#711 2013-10-15 13:15:12

rmcellig
#! Junkie
Website

whitehart,

I agree wholehardily! I'm realtively new to Linux coming from the Mac side. I have #! on all three of my computers. Love it so much becuse of the same things you mention in your post. Another thing that is keeping me with #! is the fantastic support and the Crunchbang forum.

Cheers Randy

#712 2013-10-15 21:43:08

nebulaehair
#! Junkie

I tried using Linux Mint, over and over again. But my laptop doesn't want to take any of it. It's too damn slow. Has way too many bugs and doesn't run smoothly. Was using the latest version of Linux Mint with the latest version of XFCE. #! is a lot simple, better, minimal, & elegant. It's the best slice taken from the Debian cake. I used to be all up for the 'buntu but why do I need all that stuff? Debian is far more greater in everything. The haters just don't understand it because they want their "windows" compatibility crap.

"The time we wish we spent but lost it all."
- Coheed and Cambria.

my favorite distros: solyd xk | kwheezy

#713 2013-10-15 21:47:55

ShadowHunter

I used #! for about a month or so, and then distro hopped to Linux Mint.  After using Linux Mint for about a week, I began to miss my #! desktop, so I switched back, and haven't thought of hopping OS' since

When the world comes crashing down, who's ready to party?

#714 2013-10-16 01:14:05

Geezer
#! Junkie

I used Mint for a few years and have tried all its flavors, but preferred Xfce, which never gave me a problem. On the other hand, I wanted to get away from Ubuntu-based distros and also decided a rolling or semi-rolling release distro would be be a better way to go. In the end, I chose and have stuck with #! ever since.  smile

There's no such thing as coffee that's too strong. cool

OHCG | Free Geek Providence | LXer

#715 2013-10-23 09:34:14

ozbrk

I'm a newbie in linux and I guess most of people in this forum are progrmmers (well it couldn't be true big_smile ) or has jobs which releated with coumputers. I'm studying at Dogus University Sicience and Literraty Department - Communication Science in Turkey and I'm not a computer engineer but I love open source.

First of all I was a ubuntu guy I'm still using it on my desktop but this is my netbook and it hasn't so powerfull hardwaers which can work fine with ubuntu. I guess this distro is simple and lightweight for me

#716 2013-10-26 02:56:34

Dragynn

I have been rolling my own for the last couple of years, but just don't have the time lately and the distro I was basing off of kinda went to crap. So I hopped a bit, and since i'm no longer such a noob and can tolerate and even work with Openbox, I decided to try #! .....wow, what a revelation, why do I use Crunchbang?

Because everything works.

I mean srsly, EVERYTHING works, every program i've tried, all my hardware is supported, Crunchbang even saved me much aggravation during distro-hopping for another partition (the wife likes her little comforts some days) as when some other distro trashed my MBR, the liveCD of Crunchbang never failed to boot so I could fix any damage.

Most unbelievable of all, is the fact that the Nouveau driver not only actually works on this machine, it looks GOOD! I swore nouveau was an abomination a long time ago as it never did anything but trash x for me on all my machines, I ranted about it on other forums and refused to put it on any iso I re-mastered. I assumed when on first booted #! that it was using the nv driver as that always works on any machine i've had with an Nvidia card...blew me away completely to see Nouveau working, still using it now and Nividia drivers are usually one of the first things I do.

This is by far the most stable distro of the top two dozen I tried recently, I think the monochrome theme people see in the screenshot on Distrowatch makes people think this is some extremely plain distro, and that's soooooooo wrong, this is a brilliant blank slate that does everything right that needs to be done and doesn't fool with nonsense that isn't needed, it doesn't assume it knows what's best for everyone and that the end-user is a dummy that needs to be kept from experimenting with their own system, it assumes the user is a grown up, and respectfully allows them to decide what Crunchbang will be to them. And then performs like a well-oiled machine should.

Okay, rambling now, nuff said, Dragynn out!  wink

#717 2013-10-27 12:04:17

Hadrianvs

Finally having installed #! on one computer.
First impression: mind blown.
Awesomeness level over 9000!
Me being a noob and such (and not having any experience with linux command whatsoever)... at first I was scared but then I followed some tutorials and read the forum. Guess what ? It just works and after trial and error I gave it my touch smile Couldn't be more satisfied.
That being said, it is going to remain my main operating system. On my wife's computer it will remain. And on my computer just as soon as I can find time.(still running mint cinnamon on that one... yeah, I know, but I still have trouble understanding about partitions and file systems and such; I use win on that one also - work reasons bleah).

Salve!

Honeste vivere, neminem (altervm non) laedere, svvm cvique tribvere.

#718 2013-10-28 22:23:55

ianpocks

I use it because it is the most lighweight distro I've ever used in all my life!!!

I used many distributions as Arch, Debian, Fedora, Manjaro, CentOS ( I like gnome 2.32!!) and one day I've tried to use #! and Definitely I love it. Thank you very much  everyone!!!

#719 2013-11-09 02:22:28

kd5ob
#! CrunchBanger

I use crunchbang because it's the only distro which supports my new IBM laptop.
I use crunchbang because it's based on Debian stable, and there is no more stable bugfree OS than debian stable.
And when I support the distro by buying their t-shirts and caps, then I go into a liquor store, they owner kind of panics
until I've told him I'm from a British Gang and you can put that shot gun away buddy...  I have cash...

#720 2013-11-10 00:32:04

jonjonpogi

I love my netbook, an aging toshiba nb205. I started with Ubuntu, but it got so much comfortable to use, it doesnt feel like the a linux distro at all. Plus, my netbook couldnt handle it, so to #! I go.  tongue  monkey.  Never looked backed since.

#721 2013-11-11 04:16:04

vyral

This thread goes back to 2008... woah.

Anyway, I'm currently using #! because, coming from the all so user-friendly Ubuntu, I wanted to taste something a tiny bit less user-friendly, so to speak.
I was thinking of using a pure Debian, but I felt that #! had the just right amount of things already solved for me, without filling my HDD with useless things. I really like the minimalism and "hackabilty".
Currently using it on my personal notebook, I feel like it will also go to my work, development notebook soon enough.

I never trust anyone who's more excited about success than about doing the thing they want to be successful at.

#722 2013-11-15 22:37:55

billos

My first contact with linux was about 1994 with an openSUSE distro. I remember that.. I needed to read 28 pages tutorial to have sound from my soundblaster 16MB!! After that I touch again linux distros in  2009 with Ubuntu.. But I want from my distro freedom and community.. with ubuntu I'm losing my freedom! I used openSUSE, Debian, Linux Mint, SnowLinux with Enlightment and more also from WM Gnome, KDE, XFCE, Enlightment and some others!
I'm surprised with CrunchBang and openBox.. It's very good distro, simple and with very good community.

Also, It was very nice surprise the post-installation script! All I want before ask.. office suite, LAMP, devel pkgs.. WOW! It save my time from TODO list!!!

Nice job CrunchBang Team! Keep going!!

Last edited by billos (2013-11-15 22:40:31)

#723 2013-11-16 11:46:08

joecrunch

I'm a linux user, but I've got this little eeepc with xp on it because there's a few apps I need from the windows world.  well, I lasted about a year with xp on the eeepc and then i couldn't take it any longer.  i kept yelling, "Get out of my ('&('&($#" way and let me work!"  but it kept getting in the way: dumb little xp notifications, updating at the worst  possible moment, slowing down for no apparent reason, even after a fresh install.  enough was enough.  i slicked the hard drive and installed crunchbanng.  Oh YEAH!

fast and slick.  the OS waits for me to obey my commands like a computer should!

very impressed with the out-of-the-box functionality.  i haven't installed linux on a laptop in a few years.  Everything worked right out of the box.  sweet!

the little eeepc has a new lease on life.  thanks crunchbang!

#724 2013-11-18 02:09:16

strafholm

Why I use #! Is because, as so many people have pointed out, it hits the sweet spot between usability and cleanliness. And things work like they're supposed to.

I installed on a somewhat older Toshiba laptop and the only thing that didn't work automatically was a fingerprint reader. That is working now, just needs a little more fine tuning. Wifi, blue tooth, webcam and card reader are all working great.

I first got hooked on linux in 1999 or 2000 with redhat 4. It took some doing to get things to work and that was a lot of the fun.  Now I'm looking forward to seeing what all I can get this distro to do.

The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.

Mark Twain

Be excellent to each other!

#725 2013-11-18 02:32:26

tamikan
#! Die Hard

I run Arch but run #! in a VM for professional use since we're working with mother Debian and this is truly the best Debian-based distro out there  devil

Take your time & do one thing at the time  big_smile

Board footer