SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-01 19:19:35

NECooley

Would Crunchbang be a good OS for this?

So here is the situation. I have a limited experience with Linux in the past (mostly CentOS and Ubuntu) however I do have several experienced Debian users avaliable at work and home to pick brains from.

Here is the system: Its an ageing Dell Inspiron on an amd64 architecture and a G of RAM.

Here is the use. I need a lightweight OS that I can use to host a small fileshare for me and a handful of friends (no more than 5/6) and a Teamspeak3 server for the same. I could easily use the WinXP that is currently on the system but I want something more lightweight, prettier, and I am aching to get more experiance with linux systems.

So there you have it, from the limited research I have done #! seems like an appropriate OS, but im not the expert.

Thank you for your time,
~N

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-08-01 19:33:25

annoyingbeggar
#! Junkie

Re: Would Crunchbang be a good OS for this?

Welcome to #!. If possible, you should head over to the introductions section and let us know who you are.

If you like the way #! looks then go for it. There are tons of file sharing solutions for linux and many tutorials on setting up TS3 within Debian.

#! is certainly lightweight and runs exceptionally well on my netbook (Intel Atom with 1g of ram). If your computer has an SSD you might want to look into ways to host files without excessive writes, but this is true regardless of the system you install.

“I don't believe in charity. I believe in solidarity. Charity is so vertical. It goes from the top to the bottom. Solidarity is horizontal. It respects the other person. I have a lot to learn from other people.” - Eduardo Hughes Galeano

#3 2013-08-01 19:59:46

drewdle
#! Member

Hello there!

I don't see any immediate problems. #! will run on a lot less than what you've got. The one issue you may run into is, how many simultaneous connections for file sharing will you anticipate, and where and on what are you storing the files in question? If it's on the internal drive, you should have a 7200rpm hard drive, minimum. SSD is better but expensive, and as annoyingbeggar pointed out, you may need to take wear precautions. If it's an external drive, then you're limited by the connection used.

I only mention this because, if you do have performance issues with multiple people connected to the share, I would look at bottlenecks first, as #! is unlikely to be the culprit.

~ Drewdle ~
Toshiba Satellite A200 - Pentium T2310 1.46Ghz / CrunchBang Waldorf

#4 2013-08-02 08:52:51

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Want to learn Linux & Debian/Crunchbang ?

Take a look at my 'sig'.

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#5 2013-08-04 13:49:52

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

#! is well suited for that job, it's Debian after all, the universal OS.

From ArchBang to SlackBang | Project SlackBang

Say no to bugs. - It's not a bug, it's a worm.

#6 2013-08-06 05:48:48

tmillic
#! CrunchBanger

#! will definitely work just fine, but if you really want minimal, there is a "minimal" Debian iso that is useful for machines that will do only a few specific tasks.

#7 2013-08-06 07:44:35

uname
#! Junkie

I need a lightweight OS that I can use to host a small fileshare for me and a handful of friends

You do not really need graphic Window Manager like Openbox to do this. You can use a textbased server. But better a lightweight Openbox than a fat Gnome, KDE or Windows-GUI ;-) Welcome to #!

Last edited by uname (2013-08-06 07:49:06)

Board footer