SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-02 16:34:41

badjman

[SOLVED] Another Windows 8 Dual-Boot Help?

Hey everyone! I was searching around and I couldn't find any forum posts that seemed to help my problem, so I decided to make a new thread.

I have windows 8, and as usual it's giving me a hard time. I've turned off the "Secure Boot" completely and set it to read my USB first. But when restarting it directly loads into Win8. I looked around and couldn't find any reason as to why. So I went back into my BIOs and found it had a boot-override so I tried to have it boot my USB, which only gave a quick black flash of the screen and went back to the same screen.

I have a Asus R704A with Win8 running.

Anyone have any idea how to get it to load from my USB?

After following these these instructions I get to step four and I can't get to seem to get it to boot.

I did as said, formated into FAT32 and made the proper directories, then used both files (v2.0 as well as the v2.0 Alt) to try and boot with no success. Any suggestions? I get the same problem, both USB's will not boot regardless of boot order and having Legacy Boot enabled and Secure Boot disabled.

Last edited by badjman (2013-07-08 09:01:12)

Ze Badjman of Nuffin. :3

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-07-04 04:34:35

badjman

Re: [SOLVED] Another Windows 8 Dual-Boot Help?

Um.. Sorry but I can't really give anything else? Anyone have any idea?

#3 2013-07-04 05:07:56

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=317574 <---this thread might be a good place to start.  Hope this helps let me know and how your progress goes.

#4 2013-07-07 17:53:31

badjman

th3pun15h3r wrote:

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=317574 <---this thread might be a good place to start.  Hope this helps let me know and how your progress goes.

Sorry. None at that seems to help me, after reading it several times it comes down being able to boot the CD/USB, which I can not do what-so-ever.

#5 2013-07-07 18:22:20

annoyingbeggar
#! Junkie

If you have the option to select a boot device by pressing a button (usually F8) can you select the USB device? Or is this what you meant by boot override?

Just looked and it seems you press escape at the Asus logo.

Last edited by annoyingbeggar (2013-07-07 18:25:11)

“I don't believe in charity. I believe in solidarity. Charity is so vertical. It goes from the top to the bottom. Solidarity is horizontal. It respects the other person. I have a lot to learn from other people.” - Eduardo Hughes Galeano

#6 2013-07-07 18:58:17

badjman

annoyingbeggar wrote:

If you have the option to select a boot device by pressing a button (usually F8) can you select the USB device? Or is this what you meant by boot override?

No, when in the BIOs, where I can save and exit it gives me a list of bootable devices.

And I can't. I have Win8 so the boot-up is so fast it makes it impossible to choose any of the options. So I'm limited to what Win8 allows me to do. Unless I wipe my entire drive. Which I'm very very tempted to do.

#7 2013-07-07 19:17:21

ew
#! Die Hard

badjman wrote:
annoyingbeggar wrote:

No, when in the BIOs, where I can save and exit it gives me a list of bootable devices.

And I can't. I have Win8 so the boot-up is so fast it makes it impossible to choose any of the options. So I'm limited to what Win8 allows me to do. Unless I wipe my entire drive. Which I'm very very tempted to do.

Just start tapping the escape key when you hit the start-button. If you do this enough times, you will get lucky and be able to access your boot menu.... Another thought, have you enabled legacy support? If not, you will only be able to boot uefi-devices, meaning that your usb-stick has to contain a 64-bit Ubuntu or Debian 7.1 distro, or something else that is uefi-bootable. Otherwice you will not see your usb as a bootable device.

- apt-mark hold account

#8 2013-07-07 19:45:12

annoyingbeggar
#! Junkie

I was going to suggest the same things as ew.

I also noticed that your computer has an optical drive. Have you tried booting from that?

“I don't believe in charity. I believe in solidarity. Charity is so vertical. It goes from the top to the bottom. Solidarity is horizontal. It respects the other person. I have a lot to learn from other people.” - Eduardo Hughes Galeano

#9 2013-07-08 06:48:50

badjman

ew wrote:
badjman wrote:
annoyingbeggar wrote:

Just start tapping the escape key when you hit the start-button. If you do this enough times, you will get lucky and be able to access your boot menu.... Another thought, have you enabled legacy support? If not, you will only be able to boot uefi-devices, meaning that your usb-stick has to contain a 64-bit Ubuntu or Debian 7.1 distro, or something else that is uefi-bootable. Otherwice you will not see your usb as a bootable device.

After reading up a bit, figured out CSM is Legacy. Switched that on, now to follow your steps. Thanks for the help!

Board footer