SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-07 17:45:06

nucleon

{Solved} Partitioning Issue

Hello guys,

I am a refugee from Windows looking into learning and trying out linux for the good of everyone and everything. Though, I don't want to give up windows just yet and want to set them up in perfect harmony i.e dual boot. But unfortunately, I am not able to install crunchbang due to partitioning issue.

I have a 1 TB HDD which I had partitioned during installing windows. My lenovo laptop came with FreeDos and a recovery key partition...So, while I deleted the FreeDos partition (1GB), I left the recovery partition as is. The FreeDos partition, I deleted, gave me 1GB unallocated space which I thought would add with the other 365 GB space (I made a drive out of it afterwards by using windows disc management, see screenshot) which I had left unallocated for linux but somehow, it didn't.

Whenever I try to install crunchbang, it tells me that I have 2x300GB partitions (with free space) which are unusable and 4 other primary partitions (I don't know where they came from).

I downloaded GParted live disk and tried to see what's going on but to no avail.

Here are some screenshots:
GParted: http://i.imgur.com/P3QOZ6q.png
Windows: http://i.imgur.com/VcICVjN.png

If anyone could tell me what's wrong with this thing, I would really appreciate it.  smile

EDIT: Both the screenshots were taken at same state. Yet, there's a difference b/w how space is seen by windows and gparted.

Last edited by nucleon (2013-07-08 18:14:24)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-07-07 18:57:41

xaos52
The Good Doctor

Re: {Solved} Partitioning Issue

Hi,
I suspect your system is set up for uefi/gpt.
#! is not easily installable on such a system yet.
Refer to this post for a workaround.

#3 2013-07-08 06:46:48

nucleon

Yes, my system do have UEFI but I have turned on the legacy mode from BIOS menu (or whatever is its UEFI equivalent.)

I don't have any problem with booting into Crunchbang Installation. All I am having is partition problem, according to what I have read, a hard disk can only have 4 primary partitions. By some kind of fucked up thing on my part, my hdd already have 4 primary partition according to Linux (but not according to windows). So, in Crunchbang installation, 2 partitions seem to be unallocated and unusable (though, I read that Linux can be installed on extended partitions, I don't know how to make one.)

I think I will reinstall windows and delete all the partitions then try again.

EDIT: I am getting the same unusable partition problem in Ubuntu too, that's why I think it's not related to UEFI.

Last edited by nucleon (2013-07-08 06:49:22)

#4 2013-07-08 08:37:13

fatmac
#! Die Hard

If the partitions really are empty, try deleting them under Windows, & then create new partitions under Linux for your new installation.

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#5 2013-07-08 10:39:27

nucleon

As no one seemed to understand what's going on. I decided to backup windows and delete every partition.

Epilogue:

1. Tried to install windows first.
2. Made one partition of 300 gigs and left 600 gigs unallocated.
3. Installed Windows.
4. Booted up with #! usb.
5. Somehow 600gig unallocated space is shown as 600 gig partition in crunchbang installation.
6. Deleted the partition.
7. Made 300 gig partition. Left 300gb unallocated.
8. Automatic usage of partition.
9. Installed crunchbang and grub successfully. And is working on boot.

You would think that went quite good, right?
But well, not exactly. Grub loaded. Tried to select Windows 7.
"The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible."

10. Installed Windows 7 again on the first partition(in which it was installed earlier)
11. Grub went dead.
12. Used EasyBCD.

Finally Working! big_smile

Any tips you would like to give to a new user?

#6 2013-07-08 12:06:03

ew
#! Die Hard

nucleon wrote:

Yes, my system do have UEFI but I have turned on the legacy mode from BIOS menu (or whatever is its UEFI equivalent.)

I don't have any problem with booting into Crunchbang Installation. All I am having is partition problem, according to what I have read, a hard disk can only have 4 primary partitions. By some kind of fucked up thing on my part, my hdd already have 4 primary partition according to Linux (but not according to windows). So, in Crunchbang installation, 2 partitions seem to be unallocated and unusable (though, I read that Linux can be installed on extended partitions, I don't know how to make one.)

I think I will reinstall windows and delete all the partitions then try again.

EDIT: I am getting the same unusable partition problem in Ubuntu too, that's why I think it's not related to UEFI.

What you`ve read isn`t true anymore. UEFI uses GPT instead of MS-DOS, and a gpt-disk can have unlimited number of primary partitions. On gpt-disk`s you don`t use extended and logical partitions. Only primary partitions.. Even though you have enabled legacy boot, and are booting in legacy mode, your disk will still be a gpt-disk, and therefore you don`t have the limitations of 4 primary partitions...

As for the two partitions that are unusable, they probably belong to the Windows-install, and they shouldn`t be usable for Linux.

An empty disk can be converted into (MS-DOS/MBR), and then W7 can be installed in bios-mode, without the EFI and/or MSR partitions. Crunchbang can then be installed as it`s been done for ages, and Crunchbang will detect W7, and you will be able to boot W7 from Grub. If you`re interested in this just let me know. But you will loose everything on your disk.

Last edited by ew (2013-07-08 12:20:39)

- apt-mark hold account

#7 2013-07-08 17:01:03

kbmonkey
#! Die Hard
Website

Wow good job in solving this one nucleon  cool  I have no experience with UEFI hardware myself so cannot give any tips around installing with it, but it seems you nailed it down.

As for partition size, that should be more than enough. My / is only 10GB and stays at a steady 70% full even with much development stuff installed.

#8 2013-07-08 18:10:34

nucleon

ew wrote:

What you`ve read isn`t true anymore. UEFI uses GPT instead of MS-DOS, and a gpt-disk can have unlimited number of primary partitions. On gpt-disk`s you don`t use extended and logical partitions. Only primary partitions.. Even though you have enabled legacy boot, and are booting in legacy mode, your disk will still be a gpt-disk, and therefore you don`t have the limitations of 4 primary partitions...

I think you are right about UEFI thing. But I think Legacy mode uses MS-DOS as fall back, I don't know about your gpt-disk's theory but it didn't seem to work for me. Once I deleted a primary partition (four -> three), I was able to use other partitions for crunchbang. To be on the un/safe side, I deleted every partition.

EDIT: After I deleted every partition, and installed windows... I installed Crunchbang on a logical partition, this wouldn't have been the case with gpt-disk, according to your description.

ew wrote:

As for the two partitions that are unusable, they probably belong to the Windows-install, and they shouldn`t be usable for Linux.

Not exactly. One of them belonged to Windows -> D Drive (didn't belong to windows-install though, it was just an ntfs formatted drive). But the other one was unallocated before I made a disk out of it by using gparted. And even if they belonged to Windows-install, I shouldn't have got the unusable msg, I think? I should have been able to delete them and make partition out of them but that wasn't the case.

ew wrote:

An empty disk can be converted into (MS-DOS/MBR), and then W7 can be installed in bios-mode, without the EFI and/or MSR partitions. Crunchbang can then be installed as it`s been done for ages, and Crunchbang will detect W7, and you will be able to boot W7 from Grub. If you`re interested in this just let me know. But you will loose everything on your disk.

Though, everything is working alright now (except grub), I would really like to know this method you are talking about.  big_smile

kbmonkey wrote:

Wow good job in solving this one nucleon  cool  I have no experience with UEFI hardware myself so cannot give any tips around installing with it, but it seems you nailed it down.
As for partition size, that should be more than enough. My / is only 10GB and stays at a steady 70% full even with much development stuff installed.

Thanks man. I think I will be able to shrink crunchbang partition using gparted if needed, right? hmm

Last edited by nucleon (2013-07-08 18:13:15)

#9 2013-07-08 18:43:37

kbmonkey
#! Die Hard
Website

Nah no need to shrink it if you don't feel like it, also your home lives on that same partition? See my home is separated - that is just the OS living on 10GB smile

Board footer