SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-21 07:23:11

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Please fix the iceweasel headache ...

Wasn't going to openly gripe about it, sent a PM to respected nixers in the community and am guessing they'll help sort things out ... By sending it up da pipe. When/if they feel it's warranted.

Don't feel it my place to gripe, much less gripe at a respected and more experienced/knowledgeable gnu/nixer like Corenominal. Also still feel #! is pure nixy kickbuttness for beginner to more seasoned nixer(s). Should've just held off and hopefully let my gripe find it's way to the #! head honcho. Atm though, am annoyed ... though it's my own fault and still isn't my place, shrugs.

Noticed some #!'ers still having issues upgrading IW via the mozilla backports. Isn't a new thing ... Sir Ivan for one I know has mentioned it ... Back when more involved in Crunchville I had headaches due to it too. Spent a couple hrs I'll never get back trying to help some bangers deal with it. Again totally my fault/choice + am a friggin detail oriented ( read anal) kind of person ... sighs.

Anyway, it's obviously still a friggin issue. Please fix it or find a better approach than the current situation. Esp if a: Core wants IW to be the default browser and b: Puts an IW version in the #! repo. Isn't a sky is falling ... omg it's the end of the world kinda thing. Plus no disrespect ( @ all) meant towards Corenominal. As mentioned respect the guy and all the effort he puts into #!. Just 2 cents and 2 friggin tylenol for me. My fault all the way around and too much coffee as well.

I have now attempted to do my good deed for the day and repay Corenominal for his kickbutt contrib to the nixsphere. In fact I think this covers good deeds for the next mnth or so and I can go back to my regular pure evil and selfish outlook on life. tongue

Vl#!! big_smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-06-21 07:28:46)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-06-21 16:03:01

johnraff
#!Drunkard
Website

Re: Please fix the iceweasel headache ...

Biscuit, what exactly is the problem with Iceweasel?

Just add the mozilla.debian repos and the upgrades come through.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator

#3 2013-06-21 16:36:25

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Ya want it in numeric, alphabetical or order of magnitude John. wink

Btw ... Hi ... hope everything is going good for you(yours) in this often crapped up world. For real ... namely, waldorf pin-priority 1001. Plus as mentioned the added annoyance the #! repo contains an outdated IW version on top of it. You know what they say about a pic + 1000 words ?

Think this one fits the bill fairly well.

BeatDeadHorse.gif

big_smile If this works brb ... Ok worked, one person reports success w x sloppy hack ... Another person reports failure using same sloppy hack. I don't have a horse in this race anyway ( pun intended). Don't see why the babble I'd recently posted wouldn't get er done for folks experiencing the headache. But haven't 100% tested it, therefor far as am concerned leaves any babble I posted unproven. Mainly just would like to see this thing put to rest. Aka: Someone post a dang good how to about it already ?

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-06-21 16:46:58)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#4 2013-06-21 16:54:19

pidsley
Window Mangler

johnraff wrote:

Biscuit, what exactly is the problem with Iceweasel?

In case bizkit's second paragraph above is not clear, see this thread:
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=27049
(Especially this post.)

Last edited by pidsley (2013-06-21 17:08:34)

#5 2013-06-21 17:05:11

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

pidsley wrote:

In case bizkit's second paragraph above is not clear. see this thread:

What do I do if nothing bizkit has ever said is clear to me?  lol

Edit:  Seriously, though, I can see how this might be an issue.  It could be especially confusing for newer bangers.

Last edited by DebianJoe (2013-06-21 17:28:56)

#6 2013-06-21 17:51:27

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Lmao Debianjoe ! big_smile

You take the wise course of action and never ... Under any circumstances read my babble. Don't know how anyone can deal with either. I personally think ... I have made someone, somewhere on the interwebz head explode. Becuz they were careless and paid attention to biz babblings.  Read babblings @ your own risk !!!

Good vibes + wishes fellows + of course Vll! wink

AHHHHH ! D:

With manually installed packages ala: sudo apt-get install -t <the-dang-repo-you-want> <packagename-you-want>should be good to go. With a default release and 1001 priority set, It does matter. Easy button ... temp comment out the walfdorf repo add mozilla backport in sources.list ... Refresh packages, install with sudo apt-get install -t wheezy-backports iceweasel ... Done. Way I did it initially, don't remember any problems or pin 1001 downgrading anything. Calls it a dy and going back to me cage. tongue

Mucho respect 2 John ... Agree it's not a massive deal. Just saying it's being made harder than it should be for people. Hopefully it gets fixed already or a nice nixer does a golden how to on it and frigger gets stickied ? Ok .... this topic = pin-priority: 1001. Fear am going to make my own head explode ! Laterz guys.

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-06-21 18:10:46)

#7 2013-06-21 18:04:47

johnraff
#!Drunkard
Website

...yes starting to get the picture now. I'm still on Statler here, where IW is in a separate crunchbang-mozilla repo which you can comment out when adding mozilla.debian. On Waldorf it's in the main Crunchbang repo where the 1001 pinning holds it down at 20 even if there's a newer version elsewhere.

Hmm, agreed less than optimal perhaps. I can see there were reasons for having a customized Crunchbang version of iceweasel, but that brings a certain responsibility, perhaps, to keep it reasonably up to date. It's especially important for a web browser.

Perhaps the pinning preference can be changed on the specific Iceweasel package, rather than the whole repo?

John
--------------------
#! forum moderator

#8 2013-06-22 12:00:15

ew
#! Die Hard

The best way to solve this issue is to remove Iceweasel all together. Chromium should be the default browser in Crunchbang, and in all other distros...

- apt-mark hold account

#9 2013-06-22 16:26:55

johnraff
#!Drunkard
Website

ew, that wouldn't solve the issue at all. All browsers, chrome/chromium included, need to be regularly updated to patch security holes. If Chromium became the default CrunchBang browser then corenominal would want to customize it for the same reasons as for Iceweasel (google ad revenue I'm assuming) so the same problem would exist. There would be a browser in the CrunchBang repos that would fall behind, unless maintained locally.

John
--------------------
#! forum moderator

#10 2013-06-22 16:37:23

ew
#! Die Hard

johnraff wrote:

ew, that wouldn't solve the issue at all. All browsers, chrome/chromium included, need to be regularly updated to patch security holes. If Chromium became the default CrunchBang browser then corenominal would want to customize it for the same reasons as for Iceweasel (google ad revenue I'm assuming) so the same problem would exist. There would be a browser in the CrunchBang repos that would fall behind, unless maintained locally.

Well, then I guess that I`m quite happy that Chromium isn`t the default browser, because even if I respect corenominal, I wouldn`t want him or anyone else doing anything to it. There is one simple solution to all this though, and that is to comment out the waldorf repo. The only noticeable thing you loose in a dist-upgrade, is the crunchbang-grub, but it`s replaced by a better grub...and the image can be replaced with the one from crunchbang...

- apt-mark hold account

#11 2013-06-22 21:10:35

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Agree with John, switching browsers definitely wouldn't be the answer anyway. Would just be same chit, diff browser situation. Also agree w him that if a browser is going to be kept in the #! repos, kinda implies a responsibility on the maintainer to keep it up to date/patched.

Don't get me wrong, it's still imo not a major issue ... but still an issue obviously. Best taken care of at the source ? Corenominal knows what he's doing without a doubt and only has 24hrs in a day + a life outside of #! I'm sure. Did mention you can just temp comment out the #! repo in sources.list and manually install iceweasel + depends with "sudo apt-get install -t wheezy-backports iceweasel". Once the sucker is installed that way, apt shouldn't downgrade it ... even after you've uncommented the crunch repos and refreshed package lists. aka: "sudo apt-get update".

That's how I inititally did it, still consider it a hack. Decided screw it ... after investing all this friggin time on the topic. I had to know ... Installed a 32bit waldorf vm in Virtualbox. Here's what I went with to solve it.

Added the mozilla backport + the full wheezy backports to the bottom of the sources.list file. aka: "gksudo geany /etc/apt/sources.list" Here's what I added ( this is the bottom of the vm's sources.list file.)

# Wheezy backports
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-backports main contrib non-free

# Mozilla backport
deb http://mozilla.debian.net/ wheezy-backports iceweasel-release

Next stop was apt preferences: aka: "gksudo geany /etc/apt/preferences"

Ended up changing it to this afterwards.

Package: *
Pin: release a=waldorf
Pin-Priority: 990

Pin: release a=wheezy
Pin-Priority: 500

Pin: release a=wheezy-backports
Pin-Priority: 200

Obviously changing waldorfs pin-priority to 990 and gave the wheezy-backports a value of 200. Did the ole "sudo apt-get update". Installed iceweasel manually ... Imo that's important in the process to ensure apt doesn't try to downgrade package(s) or monkey with it later. What am trying to say there, is people are trying to do it automatically with "apt-get upgrade" or "apt-get dist-upgrade" and some of them are saying apt is trying to downgrade packages later. Do/did it with the "sudo apt-get install -t wheezy-backports iceweasel" Installed IW v 21.0 + dependencies no problem.

Will also tell someone xyz older IW packages are installed and no longer needed. Do that with "sudo apt-get autoremove" at some point if you want to get rid of the unneeded packages. Think it gave me 40+mbs of diskspace back when I got around to autoremoving them.

Just to make double sure ... even did a "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" after doing the above. To see if apt would give any problems or try to replace anything ... nope, it didn't. Anyway ... end result, the Waldorf OS now has IW v. 21.0 + depends successfully installed and working fine.

Vl#!! wink

PS, meant to thank Pidsley for posting relevant links yesterday. Was friggin exhausted by that point ... so thanks Pidsley today ... better late, than never. wink

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-06-22 21:22:18)

#12 2013-06-23 00:11:11

ew
#! Die Hard

CBizgreat! wrote:

Agree with John, switching browsers definitely wouldn't be the answer anyway.

I just tried to be funny since it seems like mot banger prefers iceweasel or the original firefox ahead of Chromium which is my clear favourite of two reasons, speed and a much better sync-solution. Especially the speed should count in Crunchbang. Chromium is a browsers with all the bells on, but still perform like it was a totally stripped browser...

- apt-mark hold account

#13 2013-06-23 00:18:02

pvsage
Internal Affairs

ew wrote:

The best way to solve this issue is to remove Iceweasel all together. Chromium should be the default browser in Crunchbang, and in all other distros...

/saw the humor here earlier, and saw no need to explain the joke.  Actually chuckled a bit! monkey

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#14 2013-06-23 00:36:59

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ In the interest of getting the ISO size down (if there is a real need to), why not get rid of a browser altogether and make several browser choices a welcome script download option?

I know that if Chromium was the default, I would purge it in a heartbeat

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

We do not run from challenges, they become new innovations within VSIDO!

#15 2013-06-23 01:27:25

annoyingbeggar
#! Junkie

Why not just put the #! repo at 990? It seems like 1001 just causes a bunch of problems without much benefit...

“I don't believe in charity. I believe in solidarity. Charity is so vertical. It goes from the top to the bottom. Solidarity is horizontal. It respects the other person. I have a lot to learn from other people.” - Eduardo Hughes Galeano

#16 2013-06-23 04:48:57

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

As always +1 Pvsage ... also as pretty usual + Vast ... also +1 the guy above in the lowering pin-priority to something other than 1001. Jmo but 1001 is a bit extreme. Corenominal has many yrs of experience + yrs of putting out kickbutt gnu/nix .. Shrugs.

isn't an necessarily major issue. More shrugs .. like John said ( Ivan said long before) + who knows how many others ... If you want a friggin branded browser version in a distro repo's .... Then perhaps keep it up to date/patched ? To tell the truth, honestly I personally have less than no reason to care anyway. Am clearly retarded for investing the time + effort in the topic. Would've been less time consuming just to do a vm install and make sure.

Came across it during a #! forum visit. Whatever n whichever ... found a fix that imo satisfies my criteria for advising other nixers ... That being, tested it myself firsthand and it worked out well .... blahblahblah. Solution that 1st popped into mind would've more than likely worked just fine too. Oh well ... tried + said my peace on the topic now. Should've kept my digital mouth shut either way.

Messing around w Waldorf in vm ... Seems to be the usual crunchy/bangy nixy kickbuttness. Would expect nothing less from Corenominal. This isn't a make or break type of deal. Hope he decides to settle on a good solution though. Mentioned ... not something I have reason to really be concerned with regardless.

Vll! smile

Anal note: Not sure the wheezy-backports entry above is valid. It's apparently since been merged blahblahblah. Just googled and went w the 1st repo entry that looked about right. Doesn't friggin matter either way ... The mozilla repo entry is from the mozilla repo webpg and is definitely correct and for the subject under discussion in this thread ... that's really all that matters. Did as above ... worked perfectly. Blahblahblah/etc. wink

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-06-23 04:59:07)

#17 2013-06-23 05:07:53

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

CBizgreat! wrote:

Would've been less time consuming just to do a vm install and make sure.

Bizkit, you've just summed up my entire method in this line.  I generally don't have questions, as I prefer to simply hypothesize/test/analyze until something works out exactly like I want it to.  This is probably why human-cloning is such a big deal, because I'd be that guy who was like, "Well, that didn't work...reformat and we'll try this instead."

vll wink

#18 2013-06-23 07:58:30

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Not a thing wrong with doing your own dirty work Debianjoe. wink

Am the same way myself. Never come up against a tech problem that common sense or enough experimentation or googling couldn't solve. tongue

Goal here was to try to help others though. Once I'd opened my crawl ... Felt committed and obligated to give valid info on the topic. Ironically ... again, think the 1st thing that came to mind would've worked like a friggin charm anyway. Wasn't sure though ... when I used it had reservations .. even at the time advised others to do likewise, while still having reservations. Sighs ... don't like having reservations when acting like I know what I'm talking about and imo a hack is still a hack ... even if it works fine.

In the spirit of not being an arsehole ... wanted to KNOW ... and/or give best quality info poss before running my mouth. To the friggin point that I spent wayyyyy more time than should have researching the issue. Oh well ... am sure you get what I'm trying to say with all this babble.

Can say I did everything reasonable and then some in trying to help fellow nixers with an issue. Sadly made more of an ordeal than I should've out of it. Thought of plenty of good approaches ... Didn't have a Waldorf install handy to test them on and confirm with. Should've just friggin did the vm thing from the start, shrugs.

No worries ... learned some interesting stuff ... Hopefully solution proposed helps somebody or Corenominal takes notice and sorts it out etc. Virtualbox is friggin kewl ... Any reasonable person has to admit it's FRIGGIN AMAZING what you can get in the opensource or freeware world for $0. Still blows me mind.

Had a older version of Virtualbox on Window$ 7 just sitting there. Took an hr to bittorrent the Waldorf iso and 30mins to get it working. Plus 10 farkin minutes to confirm what I'd thought would work. Yep ... worked .. Wow. I win a kewpie doll ! Whoooooo. tongue
Long story ... long. Meant to post this babble in the how to's/etc.

Sooner this thread sinks into the digital ether ... probably the better ... blahblahblah.

Vll! fellow bangers + nixers. wink

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-06-23 08:04:08)

#19 2013-06-23 10:14:55

ew
#! Die Hard

VastOne wrote:

^ In the interest of getting the ISO size down (if there is a real need to), why not get rid of a browser altogether and make several browser choices a welcome script download option?

To be serious for a while, cause I`m curious. What is it about Chrome/Chromium you don`t like? The GUI and menus are more intuitive than IW/FF. It`s way faster. IW/FF doesn`t come close to Chromium, they can at best compeet with IE or Opera. And most importantly, the sync-solution in Chrome/Chromium couldn`t be imagined any better than it already is.

- apt-mark hold account

#20 2013-06-23 10:40:57

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

That's troll bait imo Ew ...

Plus isn't close to accurate in my experience. All the major web browers are pretty dang close. In my experience FF/IW can be made to outdo too. Not the type to speak idlely either. Have used FF before the sucker went v. 1.0. Point of fact ... believe it was a couple versions before FF went v 1.0. Depends on the user ... FF/IW isn't optimized per se out of the box. Lmao ... errrr, to each their own and/or install all of them.

Think I have the latest FF + Chrome + Opera on this OS ... Which you could also easily do in window$ too. Have no problem with that either. Just an opinion .. when someone starts saying one is better than another. Probably means they don't know much about dealing with x browser, shrugs.

In my experience can make FF run circles around others. Though that could very well stem from the fact that I haven't learned as much about the others too. Either way, kinda getting off topic for the thread.

Vll! smile

Ps. nah ... screw that ... you dare to insult FF !!??? It's pistols @ dawn time dood. Messing round ... use what you like or use em all ...

Edit ...

Also @ this point wouldn't surprise me a bit if Chrome has a real advantage. Ala: CDN's ... Google Inc makes 20+bil a yr. Owns top of the line DC's (data-centers) all over the friggin world. If their browser isn't faster due to both hacks (rendering tricks) and stuff they've implemented to leverage a massive unfair advantage .. then they're retarded.  You obviously don't make 20+ billion a yr by being retarded. For me ... not much of a diff between latest FF and latest Chrome as far as I've noticed, shrugs.

Arghhhh ! nother edit: Have mentioned many times like the FF/IW plugin Noscript too. It's become a must have/use for me. Makes a damn diff in both RAM + CPU ... if installed and settings are left default you'll see if pop up ... blocked 50+ javascripts on abc.com ... That's ALOT of friggin scripts + potentially depending ALOT of http requests too.

Also have mentioned that Chrome/ium + Opera have noscript knockoffs too. Have played with them as well. Overall I give up ... @ least the thread haz taken an interesting turn. Anyone want to suggest a method(s) to accurately benchmark latest versions of FF/IW + Chrome + Opera ? Outside of the lame website tests out there ? Would be willing to do so for sure ???

Lmao ... will they hurry up and start selling alcohol in my state already ?!?!?!??!?! Friggin 9am !!!! Why damn you .... my money is green ?!??!??! big_smile

Ok ... with that out of the way, Ew .. it's not a simple friggin thing to compare anyway. Not a friggin layman ... but admit am not qualified to encompass the subject either. FF/IW ( aka: Mozilla) in times past opted for a more conservative approach ... Google Inc could very well opt for a more aggressive and damn the torpedoes approach. They darn well have made Mozilla change their attitude in ways obviously. Such as the aggressive update thingy for one. They forced mozilla's hand for better or worse. As FF v 4.0 vs Chrome v. 29494 didn't quite look right. There are many version chasers in the world. Even if a newer version doesn't necessarily mean a better version.

Lotsa dum dums out there who still think v 32 ... must be better than version 12. It's got a higher version number afterall. Obviously that means it's better. tongue Ok ... now for real shutting it. Admit a: Am not really qualified to authoriatively discuss the topic + b: Am entirely too lazy to give a fark. Use whatever browser(s) tickle your fancy. wink

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-06-23 11:56:12)

#21 2013-06-23 11:38:27

shem
#! Member

ew wrote:
VastOne wrote:

To be serious for a while, cause I`m curious. What is it about Chrome/Chromium you don`t like? The GUI and menus are more intuitive than IW/FF. It`s way faster. IW/FF doesn`t come close to Chromium, they can at best compeet with IE or Opera. And most importantly, the sync-solution in Chrome/Chromium couldn`t be imagined any better than it already is.

I'm obviously not VastOne  angel but I dislike several things about Chrom*, things like how it looks and menus not being intuitive and how it (the few times I've tried it) loads links on a page in the background in case I might click on a link on that page, which absolutely kills my connection! So this obsessiveness with speed has the exact opposite effect for me with Chrom* than with IW/FF. Should probably mention my speed currently (and has been for a long time) is 5-30 KB/s... cry

#22 2013-06-23 12:02:24

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

^ Yeppers ... called prefetching.

Personally always disable that on FF/IW/etc.

Thinks it's interesting ... but stupid. Plus don't see the benefit unless it's an all or nothing kinda thing. Prefetch everything on a webpage or don't bother. Cause your browser isn't likely to psychically choose what you're going to visit afterall. Even then ... it'd be less time + resources on a highspeed connection just to forego the tardedness me thinks and on a lowspeed connection doubly tarded. Lmao ... ah whatever. Disabling prefetch imo is a good browser tweak. As it stands ...  jmo prefetching is stupid and a waste, shrugs.

DAMMIT !!! Thought of summin else to add about prefetching. Diff browser makers apparently have diff approaches to implementing it. Been a good long time since bothered thinking about it and/or researching it. One situation that comes to mind though with prefetching. Metered connections ... are more than a few places ... even in the 1st world where highspeed isn't an easy option. Leaves folks using cellular or satellite/etc highspeed. Equals EXPENSIVE ... have seen folks paying $50/mnth for 5gbs of download !!! Yikes ... if your friggin browser is prefetching everything/tonnes of crap you'll likely never even visit ... Counts against x persons bandwidth usage.

That is certainly not welcome in that situation and overage can be costly for people having to deal with that too. Guess it depends on how x browser makers implement it. But if the sucker prefetches everything ... OOoooooo, wow ... I clicked a link and it was almost instaneous !!!! Wow ... yeah great, it was downloaded and stored in cache or etc. Prefetching goes under the bizcuit rendering tricks folder pretty much.

On a highspeed dsl connection and unmetered. Still just personally ... only want my web browser downloading what I tell it to download. When it's directed to download something, shrugs.

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-06-23 13:18:10)

#23 2013-06-23 13:18:25

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

@ew

potato - potahto

tomato - tomahto

There are certain things I want the browser to do, how it looks and how it behaves... I can get IW to that level, but not Chromium

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

We do not run from challenges, they become new innovations within VSIDO!

#24 2013-06-23 13:47:47

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

All I'm saying is that with this, "Speehhd dis" and "Load time that" and "RAM usage this" and "Updates that."

w3m is the answer you're looking for. wink

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#25 2013-06-23 20:13:49

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

PURE BRILLIANCE!!! Once again Debianjoe rises to the occasion ! ... Why didn't I think of that ??!??! W3m FTW !!!! wink

Board footer