SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-23 04:48:39

Neon Lemmy Koopa

#! restored my faith in Linux

Kon'nichiwa everyone!

I just installed #!, and I must say that I am truly in love.  I haven't enjoyed a Linux distro this much in a while.  I've used Linux since 2007 and for a long time, Ubuntu was my home distro.  Then they started pushing that Unity nonsense, and GNOME 3 wasn't much better.  KDE4 is a pig, and Windows 8?  Blimey! I felt I had no place to go.  Then I happened to stumble across #!.  I had never used a window manager before, so I decided to try it and pretty much nerded out over how customizable it is.  That plus the tiny footprint makes me happy to call this my new home distro.

Anyway, that's my #! story.  I hope I can come up with some really neat customizations to put up here.  Some of the stuff already shown off here is really good.

Last edited by Neon Lemmy Koopa (2013-06-23 04:49:21)

Always bring a banana to a party.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-06-23 04:58:44

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

Re: #! restored my faith in Linux

Welcome to the Crunchbang family Neon Lemmy Koopa.  It's a pleasure to have you with us.

#3 2013-06-23 07:14:32

Anakinholland
#! CrunchBanger

Join us at the dinner-table and have a cuppa... Welcome home!

Use what you like. If you don't like it, improve it. If you can't, look for something else. || **Please read before posting** || Edit the first post in a topic and mark it [solved] if it has been.

#4 2013-06-23 09:46:15

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Welcome aboard Neon Lemmy Koopa.

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#5 2013-06-23 09:55:45

Iranon
#! Junkie

!# is indeed a sweet little setup.
But really, there are a lot of options if you want something less bloated/experimental. Other complete DEs in descending order of weight:

Cinnamon - an attempt to build something conservative and functional on top of Gnome 3.
Mate - an attempt to keep Gnome 2 alive.
XFCE - No-nonsense, functional, modular desktop environment that does everything one would expect it to do.
LXDE - Light but fairly complete desktop environment, usability over style.
Enlightenment - Light but fairly complete desktop environment, style over usability.

As far as window managers go, Openbox is a fairly pedestrian option. Sawfish and FVWM for example are much more powerful and flexible, being so open-ended makes them a little fiddly though.
Openbox is nice because it does enough for most people, works very well with external utilities, has friendly GUI tools available and is easy to figure out even without them.

LEGO won't be ready for the average user until it comes pre-assembled, in a single  unified look, and glued together so it doesn't come apart.

#6 2013-06-23 10:31:38

arcum
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Oi & welcome aboard Neon Lemmy Koopa...

playtime's over - shit just got real

#7 2013-06-23 10:44:22

Iranon
#! Junkie

Oh, and welcome! smile

Social niceties aren't my forte ("Can't we just assume a general spirit of goodwill unless stated otherwise? It'd leave more time for going off about nerdy stuff?"), but there's no excuse for that on the Introductions board smile

LEGO won't be ready for the average user until it comes pre-assembled, in a single  unified look, and glued together so it doesn't come apart.

#8 2013-06-23 17:08:10

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Konbanwa and welcome to CrunchBang, Neon Lemmy Koopa. Hope you enjoy the distro!

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#9 2013-06-24 19:08:53

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

Good to hear. Welcome to #! and the community. Openbox is great to configure, all in one text file and you can have all the keyboard shortcuts you could want. Openbox is very versatile and nimble at the same time which appeals to this fan of the KISS philosophy. Enjoy your stay.

From ArchBang to SlackBang | Project SlackBang

Say no to bugs. - It's not a bug, it's a worm.

Board footer