SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-19 20:01:51

Exxo

Greetings!

Hello folks smile

I suppose a short intro is in place, so.. I'm an old linux newbie, been trying this and that for years, but I've always (covers his head in shame) returned to the good ol' Win XP smile Recently though, things changed (or at least I would like to think so!) - I've figured out the stuff I really need, and went to search for distros which could provide this while being moderately fast on this antique piece of hardware that I have to use now. And sure enough, I was hit by the usual BAD_LUCK bug: I really liked Fuduntu, but just as I've configured everything and got some popcorn to enjoy the show, the devs said they're done with it.

However, as they say, whatever happens, it's for the good. So I installed #! on my home pc, got scared of it, installed Bodhi instead and spent a few days configuring it to my liking. Although my sub-conscience kept sending the signals not unlike those seen in some of the signatures on this forum, namely "install #!, it's just better", so yeah.. Firstly I did so at work (on a much better pc than I have at home), and then, well.. here I am, with #! Waldorf installed and (mostly) configured to meet my (rather basic) requirements. And, what's the best (or worst, I don't know yet), I have the feeling I'll try to stick to it smile I just hope the community won't shrug at my questions, which will certainly seem silly to anyone experienced with *nix. I know the rule #1, which is "google before you ask", but there are often lots of answers to the very same question, which (naturally) raises the question of which answer is the best one.

As for my usage of #!, it's pretty much 4 things: python, R, latex and irc. Everything else is a bonus (and Conky is one hell of a bonus, that much I can understand from my limited knowledge.. however, it'll take a while to get it working the way I want to).

So, all in all, I'm very glad to meet this community, I wish you all to have your data flowing switfly, your code to be bugfree, and your real-life comrades to appreciate the same things you do smile

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-04-19 20:07:01

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

Re: Greetings!

Exxo wrote:

your code to be bugfree

If this happens, you're y new best friend forever.  Beyond that, welcome to the Crunchbang family.  It's a pleasure to have you.  Don't be scared of #!, it's not hard at all.  You'll be all into it in no time.

#3 2013-04-19 21:01:46

douglas
#! CrunchBanger

Exxo wrote:

I just hope the community won't shrug at my questions, which will certainly seem silly to anyone experienced with *nix. I know the rule #1, which is "google before you ask", but there are often lots of answers to the very same question, which (naturally) raises the question of which answer is the best one.

This is the most friendly, helpful forum I have ever used.  Many n00bies here.  Following rule #1 is good.

#4 2013-04-20 08:58:37

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Welcome aboard Exxo.

Check out the 'magnifying glass', top right, more relevant than even Google.   smile

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#5 2013-04-20 09:34:34

Exxo

fatmac wrote:

Welcome aboard Exxo.

Check out the 'magnifying glass', top right, more relevant than even Google.   smile

Yup yup, already employed this wondrous tool to solve a few issues smile

P. S. That's a great book in your signature!

Last edited by Exxo (2013-04-20 09:42:59)

#6 2013-04-20 17:03:28

fatmac
#! Die Hard

I used to suggest the books to newbies so often that I decided to just put them in my sig.  big_smile

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#7 2013-04-21 03:50:14

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Welcome to CrunchBang and the Community Exxo, we are glad to have you!

VSIDO | SolusOS

Words That Build Or Destroy

#8 2013-04-22 14:17:22

Exxo

Little update: already configured everything I wanted both at home and at work, now I just need an external HDD to, as you people say, "back the fuck up" before the inevitable experiments take place smile

#9 2013-04-22 14:38:20

authentic8

Welcome to CrunchBang Exxo. You do know it's highly addictive, right?

Try to keep this habit down to four or five hours a day. ..it will be hard but I know you can do it  big_smile

Have fun and again..

Welcome!

#10 2013-04-22 15:32:41

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard

You start crunchin it will start bangin! enjoy #! and WELCOME!

#11 2013-04-22 16:14:44

txbahai
#! CrunchBanger

Welcome

Kindest Regards,
Tim A

#12 2013-04-25 17:45:41

Exxo

Funny thing, it's been a week and the thought of crawling back to windows, as it's usually happened before, hasn't crossed my mind smile I'm genuinely happy with #!, and I hope it'll have a long, bright future which all of us will enjoy smile Gotta save a few bucks to send to the developers, they earned it.

#13 2013-04-27 18:41:42

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

Welcome Exxo, glad you kicked the habit. Wishing you lots of fun and pleasure with your new Crunchbang.

From ArchBang to SlackBang | Project SlackBang

Say no to bugs. - It's not a bug, it's a worm.

Board footer