SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-04-06 08:18:19

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Re: [SOLVED] cannot apt-get nor run cb-welcome, nor add programs from menu

Personally, I think they should be named for the release name, not stable & testing, that would end the confusion for newbies.

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

Be excellent to each other!

#27 2013-04-06 12:04:57

ew
#! Die Hard

johnraff wrote:
kevin_scribner wrote:

in the future, i'll know to keep my Waldorf questions out of this forum...  sorry about that...

This issue came up a few days ago in another thread. The #! download page now offers Waldorf by default so it's quite reasonable to assume that that's the "Stable" release. OTOH Debian "stable" is still Squeeze - #! Statler. If the Stable support forum became for Waldorf, where would Statler questions go? Maybe a mod could give us some guidance here?

I assume that Statler questions still could be asked. But then specify that it`s Statler and Squeeze. In all reality Waldorf is already the stable release, just waiting on Debian to lift their freeze... I  hope that Corenomical has a new sidbased testing release in progress, to replace Waldorf... But as new releases comes and goes, it`s limited how long old releases still can be supported, because most of us are leaving them behind. If that happens, you have the off topic/general chat where everything can be asked, and I`m sure that someone would offer assistance....

I just wonder, is there any reason why someone still would stick to Statler?

- apt-mark hold account

#28 2013-04-06 16:06:50

johnraff
#!Drunkard
Website

ew wrote:

Because it's stable. There are still a few bugs left in Debian Wheezy to be ironed out, and some people are using their computers in situations where reliability is important. Also, they may be using old hardware which is harder to get running with the newer kernel and programmes on Wheezy. For example, I understand that the driver for my Nvidia card is no longer supported by the new X server on Wheezy. I might have to dig in and compile something, or just wait till I buy a new computer before running Waldorf. Meanwhile Statler runs perfectly. smile

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator

#29 2013-04-06 16:29:07

ew
#! Die Hard

johnraff wrote:
ew wrote:

Because it's stable. There are still a few bugs left in Debian Wheezy to be ironed out, and some people are using their computers in situations where reliability is important. Also, they may be using old hardware which is harder to get running with the newer kernel and programmes on Wheezy. For example, I understand that the driver for my Nvidia card is no longer supported by the new X server on Wheezy. I might have to dig in and compile something, or just wait till I buy a new computer before running Waldorf. Meanwhile Statler runs perfectly. smile

Well, for me SID is the most stable release, but I understand that it`s not true for everybody. Anyway, if you`re able to manage without much support, then you can stay on old releases, but those who need it will be better off with new releases...

Not that I mind people asking questions about old releases, but the reality is that very few will focus on those issues...

- apt-mark hold account

#30 2013-04-06 16:57:15

johnraff
#!Drunkard
Website

I think it's still a little bit early to talk about Statler as an "old release". The fact that there are so few support questions about it might say  something...

John
--------------------
#! forum moderator

#31 2013-04-06 19:02:49

ew
#! Die Hard

johnraff wrote:

I think it's still a little bit early to talk about Statler as an "old release". The fact that there are so few support questions about it might say  something...

The fact is that Waldorf and Wheezy are also outdated before they go stable. Debian is falling behind, they can`t keep up with the Linux kernels.... Everywhere else, linux kernel 3.5 is considered stable. Which it also is.

- apt-mark hold account

#32 2013-04-08 15:28:16

johnraff
#!Drunkard
Website

fatmac wrote:

Personally, I think they should be named for the release name, not stable & testing, that would end the confusion for newbies.

I think that makes the most sense. That way the "Waldorf" thread would always be for Waldorf, etc.

John
--------------------
#! forum moderator

#33 2013-04-08 20:37:08

ew
#! Die Hard

johnraff wrote:
fatmac wrote:

I think that makes the most sense. That way the "Waldorf" thread would always be for Waldorf, etc.

Agreed, one topic for stable by release name, one for testing by release name, and perhaps always keep the topic for the previous stable version. That way, the Statler topic would live until the next testing release goes stable.

- apt-mark hold account

Board footer