SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-14 04:53:45

asmith

[SOLVED] NetworkManager (nm-applet?) repeatedly asks for password

Connecting to a Wi-Fi Access Point using WPA2 Enterprise encryption. Although there are multiple access points (same network) in the vicinity, there is only one with a signal strong enough to be usable.

The connection is stable most of the time, but when the connection is dropped, NetworkManager requires the password to reconnect (even though it should be stored with Gnome Keyring).

If left unattended, it will request the authentication password repeatedly, opening an additional authentication dialog each time, and nm-applet grows to over 200 MB overnight. Some days I return to a taskbar filled with dozens of the same authentication dialog.

I'm running #! on a Gateway NE56R03h, network controller is a Realtek RTL8188CE, using kernel module rtl8192ce.

I've been trying to troubleshoot this on my own for the past couple of months. I'm out of ideas.

Last edited by asmith (2013-04-06 05:00:11)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-03-14 09:00:47

asmith

Re: [SOLVED] NetworkManager (nm-applet?) repeatedly asks for password

Minor Footnotes:

Just for kicks I compiled/ran 3.7 and 3.8. The connection became flakier. A lot of Access Point hopping.

IMHO, There is a regression somewhere since when I tried those versions, NetworkManager would also try the weaker Access Points, whereas 3.2.0-4 always uses only the strongest one. Recent versions of Ubuntu/Redhat behave in the same way and use newer kernels.

So far only Waldorf (and kernel 3.2.0-4) has consistently worked on this system.

Now if only gnome keyring would behave.

Last edited by asmith (2013-03-14 10:17:38)

#3 2013-04-06 04:59:51

asmith

Re: [SOLVED] NetworkManager (nm-applet?) repeatedly asks for password

Fixed by upgrading network-manager, network-manager-gnome and gnome-keyring from debian experimental.

Board footer