SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-07 21:42:31

RitterSport
#! Member

Question about updating/upgrading

Hi!  Since this question is probably dumb, I want to preface it saying that most of my experience has been with Ubuntu and Puppy.

Anyway, now that I have Waldorf installed on two machines, is there any reason to look out for new builds posted here?  I have the January 19 build.  Will all the updates show up when I sudo apt-get update/upgrade?  Since Waldorf is working on my machines, is there any reason to look for the next version (which I assume will have another muppet name?).

On a related note, is it considered good practice to occasionally apt-get update/upgrade?  In Ubuntu, there was an update manager that would run from time to time and do the updates, but I imagine #! doesn't have that.

And, for my final dumb question of the day, are the #! names linked to Debian releases?  That is, is Waldorf tied to wheezy and Statler tied to whatever was before wheezy?

To give some context, I'm using #! on a couple of underpowered laptops, and I mostly only run Chrome and Rhythmbox on them.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-03-08 04:09:45

xoraxiom

Re: Question about updating/upgrading

monkey

now that I have Waldorf installed on two machines, is there any reason to look out for new builds posted here?

Not necessarily... depends on how much reinstalling you're into...

Will all the updates show up when I sudo apt-get update/upgrade?  Since Waldorf is working on my machines, is there any reason to look for the next version (which I assume will have another muppet name?

Yes, all updates will be via apt. The next version past Waldorf is likely a long time out, don't worry about it now...

is it considered good practice to occasionally apt-get update/upgrade?

Yes, but you need not over do it, occasionally the differential in how packages are revised can cause more hassles than benefits.

are the #! names linked to Debian releases?  That is, is Waldorf tied to wheezy and Statler tied to whatever was before wheezy?

Yes, Waldorf is derived from Debian 7 'Wheezy' (presently in testing), Statler is derived from Debian 6 'Squeeze' (presently in stable). Prior to Statler, CrunchBang#! was on the Ubuntu trunk.

Cheers

#3 2013-03-08 13:28:24

RitterSport
#! Member

Thanks very much for the information.  I'm starting to figure it out -- basically, a Debian release is a set of packages in a single repository.  Those packages may be the same across releases, or they may be different depending on library versions that come with the release.

I guess I'll make sure to manually update Google Chrome pretty regularly, for security reasons, and the rest I'll update less often.

Crunchbang is working great on two smaller, underpowered laptops that I have (other than occasional boot issues on one of them).

RS

#4 2013-03-08 14:06:49

dura
Bloated Gimp

It's generally best to upgrade all your packages regularly.

Board footer