SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-18 22:58:57

orionthehunter
#! Constellation
Website

Default Init system in Wheezy/Waldorf?

I've been searching around and I can't find an up-to-date definitive answer:

Is the default init system in wheezy/waldorf sysvinit or systemd?

Apologies if I read over it somewhere, I see that Wheezy ships with systemd as a package, but that's not what I'm asking.  I wanna know the default configuration.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-02-18 23:00:17

orionthehunter
#! Constellation
Website

Re: Default Init system in Wheezy/Waldorf?

This seems to suggest the answer is sysvinit: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions … 175431659/

#3 2013-02-18 23:33:58

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ In fact it is correct.  sysvinit is the app.  I am looking forward to systemd in debian when it can self populate and I do not have to manually put in everything

VSIDO | SolusOS

Words That Build Or Destroy

#4 2013-02-18 23:36:05

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

sysvinit, and it's likely to stay so for Jessie too. Which is pretty much why I'm switching.

#5 2013-02-19 04:19:47

orionthehunter
#! Constellation
Website

Ok... yes.  I'm now considering what I want to do as well....

Systemd by default distros are... what, basically all the other major ones but Ubuntu and, Gentoo?

Arch, Mageia, Fedora, Suse are all on the "d" IIRC...

#6 2013-02-19 05:13:57

bigbenaugust
#! Junkie

Isn't RHEL6 on upstart and not systemd? I have one RHEL6 server at work (yeah, oops) and tried to do some systemd-fu to get a service running, but alas, it turned out to not work. Everything else in the office is RHEL5 and still on sysV.

Slackware is still sysV init, so should its derivatives be.

But yeah, systemd and udev are looking to be the next great political hissyfit girlfight in the Linux community, after (in no particular order) audio systems, KDE4, GNOME3, PAM, and audio systems again.

--Ben
Debian: II   Arch: II   openSUSE: I

#7 2013-02-19 05:39:09

orionthehunter
#! Constellation
Website

Well unless something is terrifically wrong systemd should be better than sysvinit for a home-user.  And I want in on the new hotness.  It sounds like I'm not gonna get that on Debian, so I'm considering making a move to Mageia or Arch(bang).  I don't really want to mess around with configuring Arch again from scratch... I did that twice and it was enough.

I'll be re-making the basic crunchbang environment anyway... so probably go with Archbang.  *sigh* Debian, I don't hate you, I just think you're a little difficult sometimes...

#8 2013-02-19 13:16:56

kiiroitori
#! CrunchBanger

From what I understand you get a faster boot and shutdown with systemd. Is that it?
I feel my boot time is short enough and I care even less about my shutdown time. Now, I am just a little yellow bird so I understand that real people would want the best for their machine, but what is so good about systemd that it makes you switch to another distro?

Last edited by kiiroitori (2013-02-19 13:18:39)

I love #! more than my own kids. I told them and they sympathized.

#9 2013-02-19 21:29:18

cwwgateway

I have an old Arch box with 480 MB of RAM and a P4 HT 2.8 GHz running Xfce. It boots in 12 seconds according to systemd-analyze. However, a similarly configured Debian NetInst on the same machine with sysvinit boots a couple of seconds slower, but not much. I'm very happy with either boot speed, especially considering how old the machine is. Even if it was ten or twenty seconds, I'd be happy because I don't (re)boot very much. So for me, it doesn't matter much, and definitely not enough to change distros. However, I reboot more often on my laptop, and it has much better specs but much slower boot times. I think that has more to do with too many services running on boot. Out of curiosity, does anyone know of a tutorial for speeding up boot times on Debian (specifically by disabling services)?

#10 2013-02-19 22:21:25

orionthehunter
#! Constellation
Website

birdy: I'm not 100% sure, but I'm captivated by all of the cool technical sounding stuff.  Hah!  It sounds like it provides a sort of safety net for system processes, so if something fails systemd is better equipped to deal with it.  That's what I got out of the literature.

cwwgateway:  I don't know.  I advise starting a new thread with that question, it will get more attention that way.

Board footer