SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-19 21:07:49

Tengukami

Refugee from Mint, Saying Hello From Iceland

Hello, all!

Installed #! yesterday after trying the Live USB for a few days, and thought I'd stop by to say hello.

I've been using Linux Mint since 2007, wherein I tried various DE's, from the shiny bloat of KDE, the form and function of Gnome 2.x (RIP), the not-sure-if-want of MATE and Cinnamon, and the lightning speed of Xfce and LXDE. I even tried Mint Debian - which was basically Debian with Mint art. As much as I love the beginner-friendly nature of Mint, I've been growing increasingly disappointed with what looks like a growing tendency towards bloat, their noble efforts regarding Cinnamon notwithstanding.

For a short while I jumped over to Mandriva - I think in 2008 or so - but was frankly baffled to see my root partition grow steadily more full with each update (don't know if they've changed policy, but it used to be you had to manually delete your orphaned packages and dependencies). And the fact that they have a "corporate version" for sale just gives me the willies.

#! so far has proven to be a nice balance between having the basics any user would need and the capacity for more advanced users to dig into those config files while remaining fast, simple and stable. You guys are doing an awesome job here.

I'll undoubtedly have questions to ask, and might even lend a hand to Linux beginners where I can. I'm also up for making new friends and talking about any range of subjects, from anime to video games to politics to the benefits of a low-carb diet. Don't be shy, I don't bite. Shout me a holla.

Thanks!

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-02-19 21:21:03

hq
#! Member
Website

Re: Refugee from Mint, Saying Hello From Iceland

Wow, great communities, attract great people smile

Nice to see you here Tengukami

Dell Studio 1555

#3 2013-02-19 21:37:35

snowpine
#!-a-roo

Welcome to the forums!

Curious to know more about why you left Mint, since I just switched to it. wink I'm not finding it any more "bloated" than the Debian + Gnome 3 that I switched from. (You can PM me if you don't want to take this thread off-topic.)

You'll likely have the same "problem" with Debian updates as you did with Mandriva, reason being that Debian does not auto-delete cached .deb packages and "orphaned" packages, leaving the choice up to the user. smile

Last edited by snowpine (2013-02-19 21:38:22)

/hugged

#4 2013-02-19 21:46:15

Tengukami

snowpine wrote:

Curious to know more about why you left Mint, since I just switched to it. wink I'm not finding it any more "bloated" than the Debian + Gnome 3 that I switched from. (You can PM me if you don't want to take this thread off-topic.)

When I left Mint 14, even keeping things to a minimum and using clean and autoremove after updates, I was looking at just under 5GB in the root partition. And that's using Cinnamon (a.k.a. Gnome 3 with everything that makes Gnome 3 what it is turned off). Boot and even shutdown also prone to drag, and my fan was blowing like a hair dryer. Now I'm looking at under 3GB with everything installed, greater speed, and the OS itself is like a gentle breeze through my CPUs.

I dunno, maybe I'm spoiled having been with them since Mint 3, but today's Mint seems to be a rudderless, albeit well-intentioned, ship taking on more and more features while not really improving performance.

snowpine wrote:

You'll likely have the same "problem" with Debian updates as you did with Mandriva, reason being that Debian does not auto-delete cached .deb packages and "orphaned" packages, leaving the choice up to the user. smile

Ha! Well damn, guess I better learn to how to clean up my root partition manually. It's been 5 years since I last tried that operation, so who knows? Maybe I'll be up for it and find it fun.

#5 2013-02-19 21:48:46

txbahai
#! CrunchBanger

Welcome Tengukami!

Kindest Regards,
Tim A

#6 2013-02-19 21:50:13

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Welcome to CrunchBang and the Community Tengukami, we are glad to have you!

VSIDO | SolusOS

Words That Build Or Destroy

#7 2013-02-19 22:04:24

snowpine
#!-a-roo

Thanks for the answer, and that makes perfect sense!

I have 500gb so I don't care about a few mb's of unwanted packages. Therefore I never do any of the 'apt-get autoremove' type of commands because in my opinion the risk outweights the benefits. I think you will find with #! that very little system maintenance is necessary; it just keeps on keeping on. smile

/hugged

#8 2013-02-20 08:11:47

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Welcome aboard, Tengukami, and you don't have to live like a refugee. big_smile Enjoy your stay with CrunchBang.

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#9 2013-02-20 09:18:15

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Welcome aboard Tengukami.

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#10 2013-02-20 18:16:28

JWJones
#! Member

Welcome aboard! I've tried to like Mint. They do what they do very well, but it's just too damn green for me. tongue Same with Manjaro, too green. Debian + Openbox, all wrapped up and ready to go in a nice, dark, non-corporate package works very well for me, thank you. I also like to build similar systems with Slackware and Arch, but Debian is my favorite, and I don't tinker as much as I used to, so #! is a no-brainer.

LinuxBBQ • Slackware • antiX
Thinkpad T61 – Intel Core2 Duo T7300 @ 2.00 GHz

#11 2013-02-22 08:51:09

Tengukami

Arch frankly intimidates me. Last time I tried it out - I think last year sometime? - it seemed there was no live option; only a text-based install. Maybe I missed something there. But I sorta group distros like Arch, Gentoo and others in the same category of distros that are just too labor intensive for me. Crunchbang straight-up works, and allows me the freedom to play around with it as much as I might like.

#12 2013-02-22 13:49:03

km00
#! CrunchBanger

Welcome!  cool

In the Service of General Cuckoo

Board footer