SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-16 01:05:27

JaZZyCooL

Update Commands for compatibility with UEFI?

hey guys,
   I just found two new commands to update Linux mint OS to become compatible with UEFI.
"Do you guys think these update commands would help cruncbang become compatible with UEFI?"

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair && sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair

Your help is highly appreciated.

Last edited by JaZZyCooL (2013-02-16 01:05:56)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-02-16 02:12:23

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

Re: Update Commands for compatibility with UEFI?

Installing an Ubuntu PPA in a debian system is almost always a bad idea.  Installing an Ubuntu PPA to alter something system critical like grub is pretty much asking the computer Gods to make sure your OS doesn't work any longer.

You want to be looking for info relating to Debian and UEFI, since #! is Debian based.

#3 2013-02-16 03:53:21

JaZZyCooL

Do you know how can I do so on my pre-installed windows 8.

#4 2013-02-16 04:11:42

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

I have not tried this one out yet myself, but it is supposed to be able to handle multiple operating systems including Windows and Debian, and can handle UEFI.

http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/

Edit: Did some further reading and it seems this is the same software you were looking at. Further checking, shows that the .deb files that were mentioned have not been packaged for Debian yet but the source code is available. I only had a quick search around so you will likely find more if you dig a bit.

You can go with that or wait and see if maybe someone else here will jump in with something a bit more "plug it in and go".

Edit 2: Looks like you can run it live from the Ubuntu Secure Remix. http://sourceforge.net/p/ubuntu-secured/home/Home/
I'm thinking if you did it that way you would have to update your grub configuration manually after any future kernel upgrades. Does anyone have an easy foolproof method that will work natively on Debian distros without that drawback?

Last edited by Anaconda (2013-02-16 04:39:58)

“The university is well structured, well tooled, to turn out people with all the sharp edges worn off...." Mario Savio
"Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse". Help enforce our right to free and anonymous speech by taking the Tor challenge.

Board footer