SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-05 19:15:54

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Iminent demise of Netbooks?

Hi all, I read somewhere recently that netbooks are to go the way of the Dodo, anyone else heard that rumour?

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-02-05 19:21:11

bigbenaugust
#! Junkie

Re: Iminent demise of Netbooks?

It wouldn't surprise me, the tablet is really eating into its market.

That said, I love my Acer Aspire One and would not trade it for a tablet.

--Ben
Debian: II   Arch: II   openSUSE: I

#3 2013-02-05 19:33:17

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

You heard correctly, neither Asus nor Acer will be making them anymore. Dell and HP have already stoppped. I wouldn't worry though, they will just be called Chromebooks from now on. Buy a Chromebook, unlock the firmware, install a given distro, profit.

#4 2013-02-05 20:27:18

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

Oh, heard that too, shortly after they peaked around 2008/9 or so. Some cheapo labels like emachines or PC World will probably continue to make some. Pity, really liked the HP ones, quite sturdy and good keyboards.

#5 2013-02-06 08:58:07

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

heh.  funny.  i'm starting to want one all the more, recently.   ^_^

cannnnot stannnd those bloody tablet keyboardless things.  idk if that's partly because i have a lenovo x60t (that's the one with a pen-touch screen)

~ think ~

without a shot fired
quote of the mo: ""... i realised it's simpler to make a statue to someone who you believe embodies all your better qualities, than it is to actually improve yourself" ... "so i have decided to go away. i will return when i have found a way to destroy this, while keeping the message intact"  -G'Kar

#6 2013-02-06 09:48:29

Infected

One of the positive perspectives is that the cost of obtaining a new (or slightly used) netbook, will drop exponentially in the coming months.

“The 'Net is a waste of time, and that's exactly what's right about it.”
― William Gibson

Twitter

#7 2013-02-06 18:26:10

bigbenaugust
#! Junkie

I may have to pick up a second one. smile

--Ben

#8 2013-02-07 01:47:57

antiv0rtex
#! Die Hard

Infected wrote:

One of the positive perspectives is that the cost of obtaining a new (or slightly used) netbook, will drop exponentially in the coming months.

I hadn't thought of this. Good point!

#9 2013-02-09 17:23:07

typewriterjason
#! CrunchBanger

Speaking as an owner of two ASUS EEE PCs, I can testify that the market is getting slim! I've been trying to sell my 1st machine (I got one just a bit bigger for the bigger keyboard) and I've had nothing but hassle trying to sell the 1st one. A lot of the 'selling features' of the netbook are being duplicated by tablets, which mean that I've had  to under-price the netbook (in my opinion) just to make it an option.

It really is too bad. I figure that making a netbook has to be cheaper then making a tablet (not as compact a design, though still small) and I'm a fan of physical keyboards. The fact that you can get physical keyboards for tablets is cool, but it's an add-on instead of a come-with, if that makes sense.

Sigh...

Fortune favors the bold.
#! WALDORF (just converted)
Asus EEEPC 1001PXD
2GB RAM

#10 2013-02-13 22:14:56

shengchieh
#! Die Hard

IMHO, the future is hybrid tablet/netbook machines.  Tablet that insert into a keyboard -
giving user the best of two worlds.  Tablet - passive; netbook - active.

Sheng-Chieh

#11 2013-02-13 22:18:29

bigbenaugust
#! Junkie

shengchieh wrote:

IMHO, the future is hybrid tablet/netbook machines.  Tablet that insert into a keyboard -
giving user the best of two worlds.  Tablet - passive; netbook - active.

Sheng-Chieh

Wasn't that the Eee Transformer or whatever it was called?

--Ben

#12 2013-02-14 10:43:04

fatmac
#! Die Hard

The 'Transformer' hasn't caught on yet, maybe because they are being priced too high.

I would like to see Arm powered 12~13" screen (netbooks/small) laptops selling (reasonably) cheaply.

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#13 2013-02-14 10:54:28

mort

I got given the wife's little samsung netbook when she had her iCrud ... 10 minutes later #! was installed and it now serves as a backup for my main desktop and for when I need a little mobile computing ... It's so little used that the battery lasts an age and especially so with frugal #! running ... I actually get surprised when it needs plugging in ... big_smile

Now if they did a tablet with Crunchbang installed and access to google play store and the ability to hook up to my phone I might be interested in that to ...

#14 2013-02-14 17:49:21

bigbenaugust
#! Junkie

I am always amazed at the battery life on my Acer Aspire One. Okay, the keyboard feels cheap and the touchpad is dreadful, but man, 5 hours plus of battery life. And reasonably quick as long as you aren't firing up all of the Google Apps in Firefox at once.

--Ben

#15 2013-02-14 19:20:19

dura
Bloated Gimp

I never want to buy a tablet. Netbooks (or a very small laptop or whatever) are 'perfect' for what I need. A tablet is mostly impractical and just fad aesthetics.

Last edited by dura (2013-02-14 19:20:51)

#16 2013-02-14 19:30:31

txbahai
#! CrunchBanger

dura wrote:

I never want to buy a tablet. Netbooks (or a very small laptop or whatever) are 'perfect' for what I need. A tablet is mostly impractical and just fad aesthetics.

I agree, a13" or  14" laptop is ideal. Something with a really good screen resolution would be great. Now if I could only find that perfect one.

Kindest Regards,
Tim A

#17 2013-02-15 01:33:12

Vegetarian Spelling Unit
#! Member

Bleh, I don't get the tablet craze. I love my Dell netbook. It works perfectly with GNU/linux which is a major plus. I have no idea how the fancy tablets fare in comparison.

#18 2013-02-15 04:45:20

vicshrike
#! by Default

impractical as it sounds, but a tablet with #! would have been cool;)

#!, all else is but a shadow

#19 2013-02-15 05:53:39

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

fatmac wrote:

The 'Transformer' hasn't caught on yet, maybe because they are being priced too high.

That and Android is crap as a desktop OS.

fatmac wrote:

I would like to see Arm powered 12~13" screen (netbooks/small) laptops selling (reasonably) cheaply.

That would be cool for battery life, and performance of current ARM processors seem to be equal to or better than most of the Intel Atoms we see on netbooks. But new gen Atoms (at least those for mobile handsets) seem to be competitive with Arm in power drain, so there still may be hope for X86 yet.

Point & Squirt

#20 2013-02-15 07:20:33

foxh0und

+1 eeepc (1005ha)

I resisted buying it because I didn't like the idea of no built-in cd/dvd player. Cannot believe I went this long without! Long battery life. Office and web work. #! really unleashed it's true potential...

Will probably pick up a second one or two or three to make my own NAS.

Listen to me! When you die in Alaska you die in real life!

#21 2013-02-15 17:05:38

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

perhaps rather than netbooks dying off, they're just getting accompanied by more members of the family of hardware models.  for one quirky and novel  example, those raspberry pi docktops*.  or, about a year ago or so, there was that thing released that was like a netbook with a cd drive, or a mini-laptop.

netbooks will still have their place.

*i just made up that term, it seemed to be the proper name for them, rather than outright calling them laptops as others do.

~ think ~

without a shot fired
quote of the mo: ""... i realised it's simpler to make a statue to someone who you believe embodies all your better qualities, than it is to actually improve yourself" ... "so i have decided to go away. i will return when i have found a way to destroy this, while keeping the message intact"  -G'Kar

#22 2013-02-15 18:04:44

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Its not just about netbooks losing popularity or anything. As el_koraco said, they are not being manufactured anymore.

As for that pi dock, it wouldn't be very convenient as a portable device.

#23 2013-02-15 20:56:15

missinglink

I'd hate to see the netbook form factor go. I'll pay more for a faster processor but like the option of the ~10" screen.
I've been exclusively using my Asus 1025C since my big Intel i3 MSI notebook went belly up.
Too lazy and stupid to get #! to display other than 800X600 on the Intel GMA 3600 equipped Asus. Currently running Machinebacon's super LinuxBBQ Trollinger without a hitch.
While I miss the big screen of the MSI, the little netbook - modded with 2GB ram and 128GB SSD - works great for me. Cost was $200 new for the netbook, SSD was $120, ram was nearly free. Love the matte screen.
The netbook and tons of accessories fit easily within my Camelbak for transport through the woods on my mountainbike. Without the moving parts of optical drive and traditional HD, I feel better when negotiating off road trails w/o any suspension.

But wait - I'm not currently using the netbook. Why - what's this?

anonymous wrote:

...As for that pi dock, it wouldn't be very convenient as a portable device.

@Anonymous, you'll be thrilled to know I'm typing this on my inconvenient portable device ;-)
It's a rev2 Raspberry Pi w/2013-02-09-wheezy-raspbian driving a Motorola Atrix lapdock. I do have to take a few moments to attach cables before I fire it up. The Pi in its Pibow case stays conveniently velcroed to the lid of the dock. Attach cables, open the lid and away we go.
My only complaint is the glossy keys reflecting light like crazy, making life a bit difficult for this hunt-and-peck typist.
Previously posted re my Limey keyboard lapdock here.

#24 2013-02-15 21:04:23

anonymous
The Mystery Member

missinglink wrote:

I'd hate to see the netbook form factor go. I'll pay more for a faster processor but like the option of the ~10" screen.

If an additional 1.6" don't bother you you could consider either a Chromebook or a 11.6" notebook from Acer or ASUS.

missinglink wrote:

I do have to take a few moments to attach cables before I fire it up. The Pi in its Pibow case stays conveniently velcroed to the lid of the dock. Attach cables, open the lid and away we go.

Exactly my point! lol

Board footer