SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-28 06:44:53

Gaspode

A question about Waldorf: From Testing to Stable

Hello. I recently installed the most recent Waldorf Testing image (20120119). I have no doubt that I want to keep this setup. But after reading a few posts here on the forum, I may have to go see Dr. Gumby because now my brain hurts.

So, all I want to know is when Wheezy/Waldorf become stable, will I have to do a complete re-install of Waldorf, or can I just upgrade my current install and go from Waldorf Testing to Waldorf Stable without re-install?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-01-28 07:13:40

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Re: A question about Waldorf: From Testing to Stable

If corenominal doesn't make any major changes to the Waldorf package suite, you should be able to just leave everything alone and dist-upgrade every now and then.  When Wheezy goes stable, Waldorf will track it.

I predict that corenominal will release a final live ISO after Wheezy goes stable, but that will primarily be to minimize the packages that need to be downloaded/updated on the first dist-upgrade that is part of the cb-welcome first-run script.

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#3 2013-01-28 15:58:56

douglas
#! CrunchBanger

Won't he wait for Debian Wheezy to go stable first?!?!  The Debian schedule is as follows:  will release when it is ready.

#4 2013-01-28 16:24:08

Gaspode

Thanks pvsage. That's great! I read the link corenominal provided about the "could be stable in 3 months" estimate and wasn't sure if I was going to have to do this all over again pretty soon. I spent the weekend installing and tweaking the latest Waldorf image, then my wife became interested and started using my computer. Long story short, it's her computer now. She loves it. So, I'm going to do another install for myself as soon as time permits.

Thanks again pvsage, and thanks to everyone involved for providing this great distro.

#5 2013-01-28 17:13:38

snowpine
#!-a-roo

Most users will choose to do a reinstall when Wheezy goes Stable, but it's by no means a requirement. smile

/hugged

#6 2013-01-30 06:42:31

Texus
#! CrunchBanger

If everything works fine after dist-upgrade, why not leave well alone? I personally always re-install from scratch because I've found Corenominal always sneaks in some easter eggs here and there (prettier fonts, clearer icons, somehow ram usage goes down, etc.)

#7 2013-01-30 17:16:00

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

As snowpine said, some (me included) will choose to do a clean install because some of us (me included) are creatures of habit (if not, me included, just creatures . . . but never mind). And pvsage and douglas are right: We're all just waiting for Wheezy to go stable, so when it does, you should be able to just update and voila!

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#8 2013-01-30 19:14:24

douglas
#! CrunchBanger

lcafiero wrote:

...some (me included) will choose to do a clean install because some of us (me included) are creatures of habit (if not, me included, just creatures . . . but never mind).

Me too.  There is just something about a freshly installed system.  Maybe because I remember Windows "bit rot" where everything just slowed over time and only a wipe/reinstall could help.  Plus, Linux reinstall is easy/quick... no need to go all over the internet looking for drivers to download.

Last edited by douglas (2013-01-30 19:14:48)

Board footer